Upgraded my watch today

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
You guys fail at reading comprehension.

I said all else being equal. If two candidates come in and give the exact same interview, exact same qualifications, etc... you'd be a moron to assume that your appearance doesn't matter. Nobody said it was the most important, but you simply fail if you do not at least make an attempt to gain that edge. Honestly, don't even wear a watch to an interview - unless you have a nice one. It might come up as a conversation thing, which also gives you an edge. As for cars, I always bring up my hobbies when asked. I also ask candidates what their hobbies are.

Don't take this **** too seriously. If it offends you, then you probably are just some negative nancy and are bitter about something. LOL
PSHHHHHHHHHHHHH you sound like a terrible boss, you might as well be buying fancy purses
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I said all else being equal. If two candidates come in and give the exact same interview, exact same qualifications, etc... you'd be a moron to assume that your appearance doesn't matter. Nobody said it was the most important, but you simply fail if you do not at least make an attempt to gain that edge. Honestly, don't even wear a watch to an interview - unless you have a nice one. It might come up as a conversation thing, which also gives you an edge. As for cars, I always bring up my hobbies when asked. I also ask candidates what their hobbies are.

Don't take this **** too seriously. If it offends you, then you probably are just some negative nancy and are bitter about something. LOL
Agreed. My want for this IWC Big Pilot is stronggggggggggggggggggggg :o

Now to find the extra 11K laying around.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
And you guys are too literal with Nine Ball's post, and if you think he just hires based on attire y'all are fools.

He's just making a point that you have two employees, both with equal qualifications, experience 9 out of 10 times you would pick up on the person that has the nicer suit/watch etc.
You just regurgitated exactly what Tony said a few minutes before. Come on gents, this is a car forum, no need to play who's got the bigger watch here, or try to explain what some might not understand. Watches, like cars or wardrobe/shoes are a hobby for some, and status symbol for others. Who cares....

Randy, looks like you are doing well since you left the box. Nice piece.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
I don't expect many Texans to understand the quality and craftsmanship of a nice time piece.
Don't know why but I just thought this responce was funny coming from a guy with a picture of his 89LX Mustang in his sig... LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
You just regurgitated exactly what Tony said a few minutes before. Come on gents, this is a car forum, no need to play who's got the bigger watch here, or try to explain what some might not understand. Watches, like cars or wardrobe/shoes are a hobby for some, and status symbol for others. Who cares....

Randy, looks like you are doing well since you left the box. Nice piece.
Actually, I wrote the response while having the tab open (not refreshed since Tony had posted), and I felt there was no need to delete my response.

Possibly you should remove your head out of your *** and have a nice day.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Even when I drove cheap Mustangs, I still had the nicest watches that my budget would allow.

AGRV8D makes a good point, you simply can't explain stuff like this to people who do not understand. You either get it, or you don't. As for career advice, I'd say I'm pretty solid in that arena, and people that listen have proven it.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by | Powered by Summers Eve |
Actually, I wrote the response while having the tab open (not refreshed since Tony had posted), and I felt there was no need to delete my response.

Possibly you should remove your head out of your *** and have a nice day.
No reason to get butthurt
Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Don't know why but I just thought this responce was funny coming from a guy with a picture of his 89LX Mustang in his sig... LOL
well, it is the truth.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
No reason to get butthurt
Just in response to your assumptions.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I would own more watches if I could just stop buying cars. Yeah, that will never happen.

I can afford more cars because I wear nice watches at interviews. True story.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

I fully understand the wanting one. I personally don't want a crazy expensive watch so I'll probably never buy one. It's just like my wife has no comprehension of why I spend so much money on guns and vehicles but its what I like and that's all the reason I need. So I understand why you guys get them. Personally I think its retarded to spend that kind of cash on a watch but its your hard earned money, who am I to tell you how to spend it.

I just didn't understand how the fact that someone has a nice watch puts them above someone else. When I interview someone besides their qualifications I try to hold a conversation to see if they interact well and will fit in well with our company. I don't care what brand their watch or clothes is, as long as they're well groomed and dressed well I move on to the much more important stuff that's going to make them make my company money and contribute to a good working environment.

I suppose I'm a little out of touch with the super high executive level since I'm just a senior construction inspector. The value of a good appearance is not lost upon me though. I wear nice cinch jeans, nice belt and a magellan collared, button down, long sleeve shirt on the jobsites even though I could get away with a 15$ pair of wore out Levis and a tshirt. I very much a proponent of dress-to-impress, just IMO there is a point of diminishing returns.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71

I just didn't understand how the fact that someone has a nice watch puts them above someone else. When I interview someone besides their qualifications I try to hold a conversation to see if they interact well and will fit in well with our company. I don't care what brand their watch or clothes is, as long as they're well groomed and dressed well I move on to the much more important stuff that's going to make them make my company money and contribute to a good working environment.

I suppose I'm a little out of touch with the super high executive level since I'm just a senior construction inspector. The value of a good appearance is not lost upon me though. I wear nice cinch jeans, nice belt and a magellan collared, button down, long sleeve shirt on the jobsites even though I could get away with a 15$ pair of wore out Levis and a tshirt. I very much a proponent of dress-to-impress, just IMO there is a point of diminishing returns.
Like you said, different industry. You also missed my last few posts, saying ALL ELSE EQUAL. If two candidates give you identical excellent interviews, but one is more presentable and dressed better, you'd be lying to say that it doesn't matter. If it didn't matter, we'd all wear shorts and t-shirts to interviews. haha

You mentioned guns, that is another topic that some guys get and some guys do not get. So, lets put it into your perspective here. Lets say you interview two equal candidates, exact same experience and paper requirements. Both dressed equally well. You bring up hobbies, and one guy is an avid gun collector and builder, the other guy prefers gardening. Which one has the edge with you?

I know it is difficult for some people here to realize, but interviews don't simply depend on paper requirements. Interviewees are also looking for people that will mesh well with the team, have similar interests, and seem like a good fit in the company.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Nice watch Randy. What I don't get is all the haters over a damn watch thread, if you like something buy it. I recently got a new watch at Christmas time but not because I needed it, it was just because I wanted it.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Thread should be relocated to Lounge section, MySpace, or Facebook.....
Old 01-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Like you said, different industry. You also missed my last few posts, saying ALL ELSE EQUAL. If two candidates give you identical excellent interviews, but one is more presentable and dressed better, you'd be lying to say that it doesn't matter. If it didn't matter, we'd all wear shorts and t-shirts to interviews. haha

You mentioned guns, that is another topic that some guys get and some guys do not get. So, lets put it into your perspective here. Lets say you interview two equal candidates, exact same experience and paper requirements. Both dressed equally well. You bring up hobbies, and one guy is an avid gun collector and builder, the other guy prefers gardening. Which one has the edge with you?

I know it is difficult for some people here to realize, but interviews don't simply depend on paper requirements. Interviewees are also looking for people that will mesh well with the team, have similar interests, and seem like a good fit in the company.
I guess what it boils down to is I don't notice clothing brand so its not something I'd even know to look for. From what I've seen most suites look exactly the same. I know some have a different stripe or logo but I don't know them so it doesn't matter to me. A $100 suit and a $1000 site look the same to me. I understand they probably fit different and feel different but that's something I wouldn't notice til I put it on.

I'm sure my interview attire is a bit different than most too. I wear western cut slacks, a nice pearl snap shirt, sport coat, **** kicker belt with a small(non Texas sized) buckle and my tony lama boots.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I guess what it boils down to is I don't notice clothing brand so its not something I'd even know to look for. From what I've seen most suites look exactly the same. I know some have a different stripe or logo but I don't know them so it doesn't matter to me. A $100 suit and a $1000 site look the same to me. I understand they probably fit different and feel different but that's something I wouldn't notice til I put it on.

I'm sure my interview attire is a bit different than most too. I wear western cut slacks, a nice pearl snap shirt, sport coat, **** kicker belt with a small(non Texas sized) buckle and my tony lama boots.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Watch aficionados DO look at what you are wearing, and can tell if you are a broke dick or actually have some taste. Just because you may not notice, believe me - several do. Especially when you get into the executive level at most companies. Buying yourself a nice watch is what most consider a reward for hard work. Knowing you can blow thousands just because you can.
yes, and we call those people "homosexuals"
Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake

yay stereotypical texan
Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

I agree with everything you are saying I didn't realize the "all else equal" earlier. I have some nice watches that I will never wear because I just can’t stand anything around my wrists. I guess this might be due to having too good of a time a couple times in college.

But anyways I do agree that you should look to hire or want to work for people that share the same interests as you. If watches are what get you off then so be it. I would rather work with people that enjoy guns, hunting, fishing, gambling and cars, than people that want to want to work in there garden, decorating houses, go to action houses, and wear expensive watches .

On a serious note though clipped finger nails, a nice haircut, Dressed for the occasion (blue collar or white collar attire), a clean easy to read resume without a lot of extras(keep it to the point and be specific), dry and firm hand shake needs to be done to start all interviews.

Quick Reply: Upgraded my watch today