Upgraded my watch today

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
Are invictas good watches? Or good "status symbols"? I question it because I've seen so many plain/cheap looking ones sell for $50, and some nicer ones sell for about the same. And we also have a bunch that are $100-$300 but the quality doesn't look any better on them. And "MSRP" on all of them range from $200-$700.
Yes, they are great watches.

The ones that sell for $50 are either used, or fakes.
You can spot a fake by trying them on, they are normally 'heavy' the fakes are normally light and use inferior movement methods.

Believe me, they are quality watches. If you ever have any second guesses:

Look to see if they are swiss made, using swiss parts. You can tell this by looking at the bottom part of the dial where the 30 min mark is at and it will note 'Swiss Made'

Or, take a look at how far water resistant it is. A typical watch is about ~30 meters water resistant, a typical Invicta is 200 meters. If that doesn't tell you they are rugged watches then idk what will.

You gotta see them in person to appreciate. They also make good conversation pieces with other watch collectors, and are synonymous among the watch community.

I've owned rolex watches, and I can tell you they are a waste of money, I prefer the invictas by design and reliability. If you want status, rolex hands down, if uw ant reputation and uniqueness buy an invicta.

Citizen is a good alternative aswell.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy I think that is what Zac got for his wedding present from his wife. It is a gorgeous watch. I was use to the Movado just normal black face with the dot. When he showed his I really fell for it.

I love watches and between Matt and I we have a nice collection. I don't put them out for show, but I feel naked without a watch period on. I take mine off if I know there is a HUGE risk of hurting it. Brandon (Strini SS) made the joke on the forum that we are one of the few that will work on the car with a Rolex on. I know they cost money and they do hold their value but I also do notice things like that on people. Does it make me think less or more of someone? No, but it does show things sometimes.

My next watch hopefully will be bought this year. I want a AP ROO.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Was wondering when you would post, haven't been browsing lately? I know you and LP were into the watching thing as well....

ETA on getting the **** Helmet back?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
Was wondering when you would post, haven't been browsing lately? I know you and LP were into the watching thing as well....

ETA on getting the **** Helmet back?
Here with it right now. Hopefully a few weeks. Clutch is coming out to tomorrow. New coilovers (fix my broke/lopsided suspension), AMS1000, Axles, etc. should all go in within the next 2 weeks. Then race gas tunez!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can't believe you bother with watches when you have all that car stuff to do

LOL

Can't wait to see it out, lemme know when you're going to make a visit to RPR.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Here with it right now. Hopefully a few weeks. Clutch is coming out to tomorrow. New coilovers (fix my broke/lopsided suspension), AMS1000, Axles, etc. should all go in within the next 2 weeks. Then race gas tunez!
If you would have just bought cheaper watches, you might have a 500hp Iroc! SICK!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** man all this thread has taught me is I need an expensive *** watch, and to go interview for Tony...
Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
If you only care about utility, then why own a nicer car than you really "need"? Are you really this argumentative, LOL!

In my line of business, some of these offshore vessels cost over $1,000,000 per day. They charge by the minute. So, I suppose time is very important, thus the "utility" is there. But hey, that is only $695 per minute. Not a big deal, right?
OBVIOUSLY!

but see that's my point. a car actually does something. buying a faster car or a nicer car with more features means you'll have something tangible that you would not have had you not bought the car. buying a nicer watch means you have something slightly heavier and possibly prettier to look at (though a good number of watches in this thread are god awful). like i mentioned before there is no practical use for buying an expensive watch like that, seeing as the same function can be had for MUCH less. the difference, as you and others had previously mentioned, was in the looks and the craftsmanship. the appeal is purely aesthetic, and that's ok. i really have no problem with people buying nice watches--i was just giving my opinion as to why people would want to buy them. but for the record, i never said wearing watches is gay. i said the guy who scrutinizes and makes serious judgments based on clothing brands/jewelry is probably gay. i think there's a huge difference between looking like a slob and not looking fabulous enough. lets just agree to disagree

to the big bronco guy, because im too lazy to multiquote: buying a watch because you need to know the time= utility. going well beyond the point of diminishing returns because you feel the need to impress others/get your jollies is not. again that's ok.

and for the satan guy. i really don't know what your problem with "typical texans" is, but you apparently drive a big diesel truck while living in the biggest city in texas. tell me thats not a very texan thing to do
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Leanpocket, I have an Invicta. My wife bought it on sale from their website a couple christmases ago. I like the mechanics of it but it has two black stripes across the band that have actually faded. She picked out that watch because it was the same as my wedding ring.

Lately I have been wearing a Citizen Eco-drive for a daily as long as I know I am not doing anything thy might scratch it up.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Teching In

When I'm interviewing candidates for the same position, and a few of them are wearing $75 Fossil watches and a $100 suit, I can tell you that the other guys that showed up in the $250 suits and nicer watches already have the edge, if you guys interview exactly the same. If the guy interviewing you has a nice watch on, and you don't - he WILL notice. Trust me on that one. I don't recommend pulling out any phones to check the time, during an interview. If I even catch a glimpse of your phone during that interview, you are screwed. Keep on walking.

If your boss has a nice watch on, and you don't, he will also notice. I know this seems vain and sorta gay sounding, but it is what it is.
LOL A man checking out his watch during a job interview as if he has somewhere more important to be.

I love going to work and getting on the plane next to some yuppie in a suit flying up to NY like a big shot looking down on me in my Dickies shorts, etnies shoes and a t-shirt with a hat on backwards. Only to find out the guy makes 50-70k a year and has to wear a monkey suit daily and is someones bitch. LMFAO......

Naw I will keep my job and dress how I want and be judged on my performance and work ethnics regardless of what I wear.

I have a movado and it sits in my dresser as it has been for the last 2 or 3 years. Hell I left it on the intake of my car once and lost it for over a month as it slid down between the fuel rails and an intake runner. Boy was my chick pissed when I told her I lost it only to have the guy changing my oil tell me he found a watch laying on my motor. Bwahahaha....
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Leanpocket, I have an Invicta. My wife bought it on sale from their website a couple christmases ago. I like the mechanics of it but it has two black stripes across the band that have actually faded. She picked out that watch because it was the same as my wedding ring.

Lately I have been wearing a Citizen Eco-drive for a daily as long as I know I am not doing anything thy might scratch it up.
Whats the part number on the watch? should be underneath the dial. Share some pics if you got any.

Citizen eco-drives are legit, they have a great sophisticated look and feel, and are very durable. The whole never needs a battery design is a huge plus. I have a eco-drive and I love it, its a great outdoors man style watch.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2_slow_5.0
LOL A man checking out his watch during a job interview as if he has somewhere more important to be.

I love going to work and getting on the plane next to some yuppie in a suit flying up to NY like a big shot looking down on me in my Dickies shorts, etnies shoes and a t-shirt with a hat on backwards. Only to find out the guy makes 50-70k a year and has to wear a monkey suit daily and is someones bitch. LMFAO......

Naw I will keep my job and dress how I want and be judged on my performance and work ethnics regardless of what I wear.

I have a movado and it sits in my dresser as it has been for the last 2 or 3 years. Hell I left it on the intake of my car once and lost it for over a month as it slid down between the fuel rails and an intake runner. Boy was my chick pissed when I told her I lost it only to have the guy changing my oil tell me he found a watch laying on my motor. Bwahahaha....

Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro-Sutra
Funny most people I know that are into watches, like cars and guns also. All just part of enjoying/appreciating the engineering behind what it takes to make a nice timepiece.

Like that you put gardening, housekeeping and watches in the same category since everyone that posted in this thread has similar hobbies as you do, except enjoys watches as well.

Again, thanks LS1tech for the laughs. It's about all this site brings nowadays. Almost everyone that can afford to has moved on from the 4th gen platform.
Your welcome for all the laughs.

Also I was using some sarcasm and random bullshit with the whole gardening housekeeping and watches. Guess you didnt catch the next line that started off with "On a serious note".

I do admit I would probably be in to watches if I could stand wearing one in the first place.

and the "yeah thats totally gay" comment you can take that one any way you want.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:19 AM
8 Second Club

And I'm the guy in the next row laughing at the both of you because of how ignorant and judgmental you both are on stupid ****.

Two different type hobbies not everyone gets. You don't understand why someone would pay $40 or $50k for a watch (that 75% of the time is only going to go up in value), but that person may not understand why we pay $40 or $50k to modify a car that is only $9k or $10k and then makes it still only worth $9k or $10k.

Just how **** is.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
OBVIOUSLY!

to the big bronco guy, because im too lazy to multiquote: buying a watch because you need to know the time= utility. going well beyond the point of diminishing returns because you feel the need to impress others/get your jollies is not. again that's ok.
As I said, comparing utility does not always match up with a hobby or the appreciation a group of said people may get out of the watches.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

And I'm the guy in the next row laughing at the both of you because of how ignorant and judgmental you both are on stupid ****.

Two different type hobbies not everyone gets. You don't understand why someone would pay $40 or $50k for a watch (that 75% of the time is only going to go up in value), but that person may not understand why we pay $40 or $50k to modify a car that is only $9k or $10k and then makes it still only worth $9k or $10k.

Just how **** is.

I wish I could expand further on this but the response sums it up perfectly.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Why buy a watch when you could buy a 4th gen fbody?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Wait a minute, did you just make this statement to say that image doesn't matter.... yet you drop two fanboy brand names with the Dickies and Etnies to support that belief? Sorry bud, but you DO have an image concern, you just choose to dress like some skater or X-gamer. That is fine, but just realize that your feelings about the skater gear are likely similar to how that guy feels about his suit. Just two different choices, neither is right or wrong.

I only wear suits to weddings and funerals. And, I still drive a dually and wear my boots quite a bit. But, I still like nice watches.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Launching!

I have an Invicta and a Techno Marine like the one in the link below. Both are swiss made and yes that is diamonds in the face and a ceramic band. Bling bling

http://stores.nextag.com/store/49213...eoclassic-Mens

Actually my exact one is the first one on the left under men's with a nice article about techno marine. Here - http://blog.worldofwatches.com/reaso...arine-watches/

Last edited by FastB; 01-18-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Just how **** is.
Not judgmental you must have misunderstood. I myself am not comfortable in a suit on a damn plane. I am 6'5 and the last thing you will catch me wearing is a suit unless I have to.

I just think its a little funny what some companies require employees to wear and what is considered "professional" attire. Everyone is so uptight about everything now and concerned about society's view of them.

Does a person do a better job wearing a suit vs pants and a shirt? Personally I like my co-workers to be comfortable and relaxed as it keep moral higher.

Wait a minute, did you just make this statement to say that image doesn't matter.... yet you drop two fanboy brand names with the Dickies and Etnies to support that belief? Sorry bud, but you DO have an image concern, you just choose to dress like some skater or X-gamer. That is fine, but just realize that your feelings about the skater gear are likely similar to how that guy feels about his suit. Just two different choices, neither is right or wrong.

I only wear suits to weddings and funerals. And, I still drive a dually and wear my boots quite a bit. But, I still like nice watches.
Should I have put Calvin Klein, Jhane Barnes, or Armani suit rather then just suit? It was an example, as I said "only to find out" meaning after talking to one another.

Point is I do not see a reason for people to be forced to wear a suit.

Take tattoos for example. There was a time when it was not near as accepted as it is now. I know one of the better IT guys in the north jersey area that has a full sleeve but this doesnt hinder his ability to do anything computer based humanly possible.

You never know who you are talking to in public no matter how they are dressed and you should give everyone the same respect regardless. Just because someone might "look like a million bucks" doesnt mean a damn thing neither does it mean anything if they are wearing payless shoes, walmart watch and spongebob pajamas.

Quick Reply: Upgraded my watch today