Opinions on the Kia Optima Turbo?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver35thZ
VinR1: I'm back in the DFW area now and Powerhouse is right, I found a couple of turbos on autotrader, the cars had like 10 or 11 miles on 'em and they were reduced by like 1k or so.

I'm gonna PM Donohue to get his opinion on this since he works around them all day long. I know they've had a rough past dealing with a poor reputation but when i priced and built a fully loaded turbo it just seemed pretty nice and I haven't heard any horror stories recently about kia.

V8sten: what kinda model did you blow up the motor in?! lol
it was a 2008ish Kia Sorento. Now to its defense it was a rental and i drove it as such, but my other rentals didnt blow their engines

2001 Malibu
2009 Mitsubichi Galant
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
All of these "foreign brands" supply some of us Americans a pay check.
A man has to survive some how. Kia keeps you on your feet and GM keeps me on mine.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

And I have no problem with that, but you're making it sound like you're more American if you buy GM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

And I have no problem with that, but you're making it sound like you're more American if you buy GM.
It is more patriotic to buy GM or Ford than buying an import, period.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

i used to sell kia & mazda vehicle as well i gotta say they are way better then before thats for sure...and i think the sx optima is a good choice lots of room and truck space..they have cooling seats and heat navigation and back up cam..sun roof and moon roof in the rear and i gotta say it pulls pretty nice full throttle...kia is better then mazda imo
Old 01-25-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2011 KIA here its not the optima but we will be trading it later this month for the optima turbo. They are pretty good cars and it decent on gas. Honestly if I were to want to drive anything besides a Camaro it would be a optima. Trust me they are not what they used to be. And the prices are really negotiable even on new ones. Take 30 mins and stop by a KIA dealer you'll be surprised.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh and KIA is now made in America.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by texas94z
It is more patriotic to buy GM or Ford than buying an import, period.

Being patriotic doesn't doesn't influence my purchase decisions. Do you ever buy anything from Walmart? Look at the percentage of products that are made out of the country. I sometimes tell customers that the Sorentos and Optimas are made in America... Noone cares. It's all about the product.

****, I have a buddy that I've known for about 15 years. He's been in the marines for about 8 years and has went to Iraq numerous times. All he buys is Toyotas... Are you more patriotic then him bc you buy GM? Lmfao.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

These crappy economies of the world are far too interconnected now to be pulling the buy american B.S.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Capitol Kia kept jerking us around, they were such ********. Argued with me about the specs on the cruze, civic and focus. We wouldve probably bought an optima that day if they hadnt kept jerking us around. I told them point blank what the car was worth and they were wanting 29OTD on a loaded optima. Im not paying 30K for a kia, just cant do it. It had the technology and premium package so it had a sticker of 32ish IIRC. Ended up with an 09 civic si loaded with 32K and an unlimited mileage warranty for 17OTD so I couldnt pass it up.

Is there really not that much cushion in the MSRP of these things or were they just being jackasses? After that experience I looked em up online and there was nothing nice said about them on there so Im not surprised.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

What price were you trying to get it for.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Considering most of the other vehicles we were looking out for about 4K below MSRP OTD I was expecting somewhere around there. The attitude I was met with, an the argumentative nature of the salesman and manager there about the other vehicles we were considering made me not sit there any longer and haggle with them.

I just looked it up, that car has an MSRP of 31K so I dont think it is too crazy to think I couldve driven off the lot for 27-28K. I cant find anything online about invoice pricing for them though.

They wanted 22OTD for a forte with the only options being power windows and locks, after that I gave up
Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Being patriotic doesn't doesn't influence my purchase decisions. Do you ever buy anything from Walmart? Look at the percentage of products that are made out of the country. I sometimes tell customers that the Sorentos and Optimas are made in America... Noone cares. It's all about the product.

****, I have a buddy that I've known for about 15 years. He's been in the marines for about 8 years and has went to Iraq numerous times. All he buys is Toyotas... Are you more patriotic then him bc you buy GM? Lmfao.
Willing to sacrifice your life for your country is the most patriotic choice an American can make. Using that irrational example is taking this topic completely out of context.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Considering most of the other vehicles we were looking out for about 4K below MSRP OTD I was expecting somewhere around there. The attitude I was met with, an the argumentative nature of the salesman and manager there about the other vehicles we were considering made me not sit there any longer and haggle with them.

I just looked it up, that car has an MSRP of 31K so I dont think it is too crazy to think I couldve driven off the lot for 27-28K. I cant find anything online about invoice pricing for them though.

They wanted 22OTD for a forte with the only options being power windows and locks, after that I gave up
American cars by far have the biggest mark ups.

Willing to sacrifice your life for your country is the most patriotic choice an American can make. Using that irrational example is taking this topic completely out of context.
You've been had.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Being patriotic has no relation with what car you buy.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71

They're way off on the forte unless it's an SX with nav etc. Kia has a small mark up. $27k otd would be impossible on a ~$31.5k optima.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Launching!

I have no dog in this fight, but think about how long you plan to keep it. I have a few co-workers who have or had KIA and Hyundai vehicles in the past few years. While I agree they have come a long way, there is still a stigma attached to them and the resale drops quickly up front. 2 of my co-workers still have theirs because the resale was so bad they couldn't imagine selling it that low so they are stuck with them for a couple more years. Not a problem if you plan on keeping them for a while. Just something to think about.

A question though. A co-worker has a 2010 Sorento. I don't remember the trim line, but it has leather, allow wheels, etc. That damn thing rides worse that my 3/4 ton truck. It feels like the rear is way to stiff. Is that normal? I would think for a small SUV they would try to have a reasonably smooth suspension. It has been this way since new.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
I have no dog in this fight, but think about how long you plan to keep it. I have a few co-workers who have or had KIA and Hyundai vehicles in the past few years. While I agree they have come a long way, there is still a stigma attached to them and the resale drops quickly up front. 2 of my co-workers still have theirs because the resale was so bad they couldn't imagine selling it that low so they are stuck with them for a couple more years. Not a problem if you plan on keeping them for a while. Just something to think about.

A question though. A co-worker has a 2010 Sorento. I don't remember the trim line, but it has leather, allow wheels, etc. That damn thing rides worse that my 3/4 ton truck. It feels like the rear is way to stiff. Is that normal? I would think for a small SUV they would try to have a reasonably smooth suspension. It has been this way since new.
2010 Sorentos don't exhist. Drive the new line, preferably an SX.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Id rather the car be made out of states cause americans are lazy :0
Old 01-25-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

All of these "foreign brands" supply some of us Americans a pay check.
Lol I like what you did there, nicely played

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Kia Optima Turbo?!