Successful Carrer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I always LOL when I read that phrase "Money doesn't buy you happiness".

Bullshit. People that copy/paste that phrase have never been broke or in huge debt before. Likely just people that had their parents give them everything, so they don't appreciate what is earned or saved up for.

A career doesn't have to define your life. It is a means to provide for your family and your hobbies. Some people are workaholics and their passion is work. Not me, I have friends, family, and hobbies. The big paychecks help you do things you enjoy.

Anyways, take a look at this list. Read it carefully, and don't waste 4-5 years in college pursuing a lame degree that will have you waiting tables afterward. Sure, there are thousands of success stories out there from people with XYZ degrees and some without education at all. But, they are not the norm here. This list will show you a successful normal expectation. It only goes up from there, depending on how driven you are.

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp
I could not agree more Sir. I have been poor once and don't ever plan on being there again. The peeps that say “Money doesn't buy you happiness"; don't know **** in my book.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ I also agree with nine ball's statement you have to be there to know what it's like.... I haven't been seen true poverty but I still am aware of how ppl can really go through hell by try to pay bills because i have seen my father go through that but he always find a way to keep going and then there is times where money is good and life just rolls so much smoother... I looked at the list and my degree is at the top... I'm studying petro engineering and I bust my a$$ every day so one day I will provide my kids with every and give them a good life
Old 01-25-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes what i for sure learned one thing is network, and get some interships which I plan to do so I can get experience and it will look good on paper also good when someone actually hires me
Old 01-25-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of good advise in here for a bunch of grease monkeys. Lol! Just find something you like to do, get good at it and stick with it. Get a mentor when you find out what you want to do. I do mortgages and mentor loan officers at a bank and I love it. Last few years have been brutal in our industry (try taking a 60% pay cut for some BS that is completely out of your control), but you just can't beat the feeling of putting someone in the home of their dreams.
Oh, and pay attention when you're spelling! It shows a lack of attention to detail. There might have been someone on here that would have offered you a job if had spelled career correctly. Point is, you just never know who's watching.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Just like the majority of people on here have said do what YOU like and enjoy, remember you will probably end up doing it for the rest of your life. Money plays a big part in life it ****** blows being broke (ive been there) yeah sure you got a nice and happy family but how are you going to support them without money. So it semi buys happiness hell look at us we love cars and cash buys them. I was younger ****** up doin stupid **** then one day got sick with a soar throat went to see a doctor we sat there and talked for a while then he offered me a job as a medical assistant. I love it and see myself doin it forever I dont look at it as job. Im going to go to school to be a radiologist which here in texas make between 99k-348k salary a year depending on experience, how high you are in the chain, where you work etc... The point is go out and explore theres sooooo many careers out there. Im looking to get into the chemical plants for a while to save up for college (which is hard as hell). You gotta make sacrifices to get where you want to be start young hell im only 20. I'm sure we all wish we can hit the lottery but you gotta look at reality just do what you gotta do.

Good luck
Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quality Control. Project Coordinator. Making $$$$$
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah going to take some advice from the career explorer in my college and see if their is internships, I do get nervous on interviews and things like that but I shouldn't and should just do things right the first time, I think after I find what I want ill go and grow into the business world whatever field I find interesting and find what motivates me
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

"money doesnt buy you happiness? You ever seen someone frown on a jet ski??".
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Welder just turned 21 monday n make 25+ an hr not including perdiem. But realy just trying to save money for my cars, bills, n school to be a process operator.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

If your young don't spend every nickel and dime on your car. Spend the money on the education for a good career. The cars will be there later. Some kids spend every nickel and dime on a vehicle....poor investment. Manage your credit very well. Do not take time off from school. Trust me I did and it took me along time to get back into school mode.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

No matter how much money you have, in order to be happy, you need to manage it well. Stay debt free! Financial freedom is priceless!

Let the career you're interested in dictate your degree...not vice versa.

Stay single and childless until you have finished your degree & established a job.

If you're young (which it sounds like you are) joining the armed forces is a great way to gain experience (in life & occupationally). Plus the education benefits are crazy!

Don't drive yourself crazy comparing yourself to older guys. You'll get there. Too often young people want what the next guy has, & create a mountain of debt trying to keep up with the Jones'.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Money isn't required to achieve happiness. Some of the best times of my life happened when I was broke. Financial success helps, but it is not the root of happiness.

Last edited by HTX; 01-26-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: G*d damn droid!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Launching!

I fought my way out of poverty;kept a good positive attituded everywhere I went,prayed to my higher power every night it opened doors and windows for me to see and walk thru. Military school and Technical schools was able to get the knowledge on working with heavy equipment,machinery,diesel trucks and commercial trailers,and now I'm self employed with two service trucks and good paying customers living the American Dream and trying like hell to be debt free.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1990LSx
If your young don't spend every nickel and dime on your car. Spend the money on the education for a good career. The cars will be there later. Some kids spend every nickel and dime on a vehicle....poor investment. Manage your credit very well. Do not take time off from school. Trust me I did and it took me along time to get back into school mode.
Good advise here.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

BigBronco forgot one school in his list: Texas Christian University for engineering. Want to see one of the most meticulous, difficult, and best programs in the country? Look no further. I believe there is only one TCU engineering grad on the boards, and I'm sure most know who I am talking about.

Anyway...any love for the electrical engineers? I switched from ME to EE because it was harder and more fun. Ha how much fun that one is. However, best bang for your buck is engineering for an undergrad. If you are good at math and have a practicality for solving many different problems, this major is for you. Now it is very math intensive. Someone earlier in the topic said math wasn't bad, but also said he never went. You will be doing math all the way up to multiple vector calculus (Calc III) and differential equations. Differential equation rule the engineering world in controls engineering, mechanical, and electrical so do not get fooled by the math load, but hey if you are good at math it should be fun. Now the fun is in the engineering. You will get a true realistic sense for estimation, modeling, design, and development. Now don't get fooled here. The main difference between an engineer and a technician is the ability to model and this ability really makes the difference. So to whoever has a knack for being the best of the best, go for it.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Too much detail about colleges here. Any engineering degree from any accredited university will result in excellent pay. We do not discriminate about which college you went to, just that you got the degree. Too many youngsters pick their colleges based on football teams and parental influence, but most just end up wasting their money to wear a certain color. The end result is typically the same, when it comes to career paycheck. I'd advise you guys to just go to the best school you can afford, don't kill yourself with tuition costs and heavy student loans.

University of Houston here, they also have an excellent engineering school. Many Aggies, Longhorns, Hornfrogs, Owls, etc... have called me "Boss". School doesn't matter. School only matters if you get a shitty worthless degree, not an engineering/law/medical degree.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00fastta
BigBronco forgot one school in his list: Texas Christian University for engineering. Want to see one of the most meticulous, difficult, and best programs in the country? Look no further. I believe there is only one TCU engineering grad on the boards, and I'm sure most know who I am talking about.
I was not trying to leave any out. Hell, I even forgot to put UH on the list and I can't tell you how many intelligent people I have worked with/work with that acquired their degrees from U of H. I was just giving a quick list as it all depends on the person and how they utilize the paper to open doors.

I have some bullshit cracker jack degree from a new program at Texas State and ended up the highest paid student coming out of my program and school.

Just depends on how you work the system.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Nineball, you seem to be downplaying the power of loyalty. For example my company is full of Aggies. They make a large effort to recruit and hire other Aggies. Other college alumni are the same. I'm sure engineers don't care so much but for some reason a lot of other people do.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ags have more loyalty than most. Btw- I am an SHSU grad not an Ag, just worked for a company that had a few.

I agree- I don't think you get a job these days based on where you went to school- you get a job based on experience, knowledge, contacts and how well you do in interview.

On thing I am curious about since we have a few engineers on here- I call on a lot of engineers and have heard more than once in the industry that you do start out with a high salary but it is a very gradual increase after that unless you become a principle to the firm. Any comments? I was just curious if this was true or not and obviously there will be exceptions to the rule.

In sales you can have a great year followed by a down year (2008 vs 2009) for me. Significant swings in pay but things are getting back on track.

Lots of good advice in here for the younger guys.

Younger guys- listen up! Most of us did not have anyone to point these details out to us early in our career.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Being that I'm 17 and looking to go into ME, I am taking ALL of this in. I plan on leaving this **** hole of NJ and going to one of the Texas schools that were listed above (applied already, just waiting on the result). Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Successful Carrer?