Which Republican Candidate and Why

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
Why on earth would Saudi Arabia( the country who paid for over half the cost of the Gulf War) want to fight the Iraqis over oil?
I am not sure why as Americans we should give a **** about why Saudi Arabia does what they do, but I am quite certain that the USA did it for control of the oil and a strong control in the oil region. See the next answer.

-Where is all of this oil you say we're getting from Iraq?
This argument is silly. The thing with oil has never been about "having it" or "getting it". It is about controlling it. We want to profit from controlling it. And, in this, I don't just mean profiting from the sale, but from the ability to control it and manipulate prices and distribution. Having control and/or influence over the market as a whole. I don't have to explain to the simplest person what control over the global market of oil means. Saddam in Iraq was like Venezuela. He did what he wanted and would not "play ball". Well you see what happened to him.

Though many corporations have undoubtedly benefited from various interventions and whatnot, I would like an example of how the United States government used the military for purely "corporate special interests"
Corporations have one purpose. Profit. So, if you are part of the military industrial complex, you need war for profit. There is your one example. The attack of Iraq is win win for the richest most powerful corporations in the world. The military industrial complex wins and the oil industry and wall street wins. Just follow the money. In our completely corrupt country, always follow the money.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow LSX
Well for you to say we would be speaking German if it was not for US intervention in WW2 is foolish as the only reason we went in was b.c of the fear of communism spreading out of control after Russia defeated Germany. Remember by the time we got involved Germany was fighting with 80% of it forces on the eastern front, they were already losing. And remember we were backing the **** party up to the war (think Bush family). Don't take what you heard or here in class to seriously, as those books are there to manipulate your mind and are very biased.

It's true that the Germans failed in taking Russia, but Russia was utterly devastated to the point that Stalin had asked the Americans and Brits to open up a second front in order to thin out the Germans. I highly doubt that the Russians would have lasted without American intervention, much less beat back the Germans and take Berlin. The fact that Prescott Bush's company dealt with the ****'s financially does not mean the entire country was backing the **** party.

That example is hog wash and a horrible example.

So stolen official documents are hog wash, but I'm supposed to believe some guy on the internet about how the world works? Don't think so

Do you not realize we are the sole reason we have all these issues? Our intervening has caused all these problems....Iran did not start in 1979, it started back in 1953 by us KILLING a elected official.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Yes, I'll admit there was some blowback with our very aggressive cold war interventions. As I stated before, though, we're not in the cold war anymore.

You misunderstood what I said. I said what empire or nation is around today that has gone around policing the world. And my answer already given was YOU WILL NOT. Every empire found out the hard way or changed there course.

No, you misunderstood what I said. There has never been an empire that has come close to what the United States does today. You have also failed to make a distinction between an empire and an occupation. Nation building would actually be a more appropriate term.

That is not where I was going with that. Just remember what I said the Chinese have figured us out. Only thing is, they might have bought the wrong country.

china hasn't bought any country. china only holds around 10% of our public debt, actually.
Originally Posted by speedtigger
I am not sure why as Americans we should give a **** about why Saudi Arabia does what they do, but I am quite certain that the USA did it for control of the oil and a strong control in the oil region. See the next answer.

Well that's funny, because Kuwait owns their oil fields. They were nationalized in the 70s after the British initially paid for them to be developed. Despite getting screwed, the British came to their aid during the Gulf War

This argument is silly. The thing with oil has never been about "having it" or "getting it". It is about controlling it. We want to profit from controlling it. And, in this, I don't just mean profiting from the sale, but from the ability to control it and manipulate prices and distribution. Having control and/or influence over the market as a whole. I don't have to explain to the simplest person what control over the global market of oil means. Saddam in Iraq was like Venezuela. He did what he wanted and would not "play ball". Well you see what happened to him.

Sure looks like we have a lot of control over that Iraqi oil
http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...948787,00.html

Corporations have one purpose. Profit. So, if you are part of the military industrial complex, you need war for profit. There is your one example. The attack of Iraq is win win for the richest most powerful corporations in the world. The military industrial complex wins and the oil industry and wall street wins. Just follow the money. In our completely corrupt country, always follow the money.

Generally speaking, people who sell stuff do so to make money, or profit. Nothing new there. Somebody has to make the stuff they use over there, and yes they're going to make a profit. That includes everything from weapons to food to ac units. That must mean Trane is in on this HUGE conspiracy to make money for the AC Industrial Complex

And by the way, its not like these companies never sell anything during peace time. The military is ALWAYS buying stuff. So are foreign countries. It just so happens that most of these defense companies make other stuff too. Bell, for example, makes both military and civilian helicopters.

I'd like to know where you guys get all of your information, though
Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
Japan did attack the US, which was an ally of Germany and Italy, the Axis Powers. They were on the same side so not sure how you can say that being attacked wasnt one of the main reasons we went to war. We were officially neutral before that point.

Also border control may not be uniquely Ron Paul, but using our current resources to do it, instead of spending more money, is. We still have military in a lot of places where it is no longer needed.
Not true. Almost a year before Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt signed into law the Lend Lease Act, which effectively ended an era of American non-interventionism beginning after the first world war. The Act provided for billions of dollars in aid to the Allies.

Whether or not the military is needed in certain places is certainly debatable. I won't get into that lol
Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Old School Heavy

Sure looks like we have a lot of control over that Iraqi oil
http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...948787,00.html
Just because they failed does not mean they did not try. Apparently our new president did not think we could afford to keep up the occupation. And, apparently, we failed to "win the hearts and minds" in the middle east.....big surprise there. I do believe the article that you referenced is correct, they hoped to stop the oil from going to China. Another epic fail and another example of why Ron Paul is right.

Generally speaking, people who sell stuff do so to make money, or profit. Nothing new there. Somebody has to make the stuff they use over there, and yes they're going to make a profit. That includes everything from weapons to food to ac units. That must mean Trane is in on this HUGE conspiracy to make money for the AC Industrial Complex
So your logic is that because somebody else other than the military industrial complex profited, that means that everything was on the up and up? Sorry, that argument does not work for me. I would rather we spend our money repairing our country's infrastructure for the benefit of all Americans than destroying somebody else's for the profit of a few.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Yea you are correct about the mineral deposits. And since the Chinese cut out a lot of what we get from them we needed a new supplier. So what better way than to just occupy a country and take it from them. But there is more to it.

In this chart you can see when the CIA was in control, business was a boomin but in 01 when the Taliban took over, business went down and that is not good for the "war on drugs" so we went in and took control of it and now they produce more than ever before.
the Taliban took control in '96. The year with the lowest output, 2001, was the year the United States invaded

Looks like some of that opium made its way to yours and speedtigger's houses
Old 01-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Old School Heavy

Looks like some of that opium made its way to yours and speedtigger's houses
I am not sure what your opium production argument has to do with me other that demonstrating staying out of foreign countries is good, just like Ron Paul says.

But, you need to avoid personal attacks. This thread has been a tremendous success and these type of tactics are exactly what will get it locked.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Not true. Almost a year before Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt signed into law the Lend Lease Act, which effectively ended an era of American non-interventionism beginning after the first world war. The Act provided for billions of dollars in aid to the Allies.

Whether or not the military is needed in certain places is certainly debatable. I won't get into that lol
Point taken on "intervening". When I read that word I thought of a more aggressive or active role. Semantics aside It still cost the USA money as did refusing to sell resources to Japan. But if you are saying that's a valid reason or that was why Japan attacked, then it further validates the claim that "intervening" causes us to enter into conflict.
I'm not really sure how you or anyone can say what would've happened had we not intervened, or what will happen if we dont police the rest of the world. If you can though i'd like the numbers to this weeks mega millions. I would think you can only look at what has happened so far based on intervention and make judgements based on those facts.
That's like the whole Iraq and WMD thing. Nothing was ever found, and a lot of lives were lost and money was spent. The Patriot act in my opinion just follows that line of thinking and takes it a step farther. Lets start taking away peoples civil liberties as a pre-emptive attempt to make the USA safer. Just like taking away guns. Hell how many people die from car accidents each year. I guess the next step is to take cars away. This country seems to be headed towards totalitarianism. That's why I would vote for Ron Paul he doesnt just say he opposes big government, deficit spending, and federal regulation he shows it with his voting record, and plans to try and do something about it. I also agree with him on a few other issues like ending the war on drugs, and the federal regulations of them, his foreign policy, and getting rid of the Income tax. Just seems to me like he represents the ideals of our founding fathers the most, and maybe that's the "change" we really needed in 2008.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Think who ever gets the nomination will land slide obama's ***.

How many threads have you seen about how good of a job that man has done? His days of creating class envy are OVER
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Btw as it stands

I'm officially endorsing nike boot for president and vice presidential candidate dead cat.

But if i had to vote in a primary, my vote will go for santorum. But if I had to vote in a primary election, it is definately ANYBODY but obama.

It's gonna be interesting watching a debate vs obama.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Point taken on "intervening". When I read that word I thought of a more aggressive or active role. Semantics aside It still cost the USA money as did refusing to sell resources to Japan. But if you are saying that's a valid reason or that was why Japan attacked, then it further validates the claim that "intervening" causes us to enter into conflict.
I'm not really sure how you or anyone can say what would've happened had we not intervened, or what will happen if we dont police the rest of the world. If you can though i'd like the numbers to this weeks mega millions. I would think you can only look at what has happened so far based on intervention and make judgements based on those facts.
That's like the whole Iraq and WMD thing. Nothing was ever found, and a lot of lives were lost and money was spent. The Patriot act in my opinion just follows that line of thinking and takes it a step farther. Lets start taking away peoples civil liberties as a pre-emptive attempt to make the USA safer. Just like taking away guns. Hell how many people die from car accidents each year. I guess the next step is to take cars away. This country seems to be headed towards totalitarianism. That's why I would vote for Ron Paul he doesnt just say he opposes big government, deficit spending, and federal regulation he shows it with his voting record, and plans to try and do something about it. I also agree with him on a few other issues like ending the war on drugs, and the federal regulations of them, his foreign policy, and getting rid of the Income tax. Just seems to me like he represents the ideals of our founding fathers the most, and maybe that's the "change" we really needed in 2008.
yes, I would consider billions of dollars of aid to only one side of the fight as intervention lol. Had that not happened, the war would have happened anyway. The first peace time draft had been instated and the government more than quadrupled military spending. Thing is, it was quite popular to the American people, because they realized that even foreign wars would affect them and possibly their national security.

Things were not nearly as intertwined then as they are today, especially considering our post-industrial economy. Just about everything going on in the world affects us in one way or another, and most people just don't think about that.

The fact that nothing was found does not mean that nothing was there. Saddam had been rejecting inspections periodically in the years leading up to the Iraq war. http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2002_10/iraqspecialoct02

I'm with you on the patriot act and the civil liberties spiel, though I don't think things are quite as draconian as a lot of people like to present. It is a slippery slope though.

Drugs, on the other hand, should still remain illegal. People make the argument that beer does just as much harm as drugs, which is arguable. If anything, drugs will affect you in ways equal to or greater than beer including long term psychiatric effects, and it is much easier to accidentally OD on drugs than alcohol. Also, part of the point of the war on drugs is to raise the opportunity cost of using them. If you were to all of a sudden decriminalize them, the number of users would likely multiply. Another argument I often hear is that if you legalize drugs, especially marijuana, that people will grow it domestically and that would take money and power away from the drug cartels--not so. If you do this, the cartels will not sit on their hands and say 'oh well, it was a nice run while we had it'. Rather, they see competition and I guarantee you drug violence will increase dramatically. Ron Paul would be a fool to do any of this.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Launching!

We can start a new thread debating the legalization of certain drugs. Because I can pull up scientific studies showing the benefits of quite a few of them from a medicinal perspective. And he doesnt advocate the legalization of drugs. Just to let the states decide and do away with the federal regulation. I could literally write pages on this subject, and we can in another thread. But to me the main issue with it is. It's none of the governments business. As long as you dont cause harm to others, in which case you would be tried and imprisioned. They shouldnt have that kind of power. Just like they shouldnt be able to tell you what kind of food you can eat, or what kind of car you can drive. You can argue it would be dangerous. But most drugs are still readily available, and easy to find. A lot of them are classified schedule 1 yet are prescribed as medicine. Lastly take a handful of aspirin and tell me it's not dangerous (dont really do this you will die).

Also here is some perspective from someone who actually knows what he's talking about on the subject of foreign policy in the middle east.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnH0dxdiRzc
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Launching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ljxQn5nm8A
Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Scheuer is a nut, plain and simple. How can he possibly deny that Iran is a threat to US national security, yet still insist that Al Qaeda is going to detonate a nuclear bomb inside our borders? Where does he think they're gonna get it from?

For every expert endorsing this or that, there is another endorsing something/someone else. Leon Panetta, for example, would clearly disagree.

And its not just about Israel. Iran could use it on anybody, including Saudi Arabia. The idea is to prevent Iran from creating nuclear weapons in the first place, so that they can't use them on anybody. For what its worth, though, Israel can sure talk big for a country that's been at the US tit for decades.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Old School Heavy

its not just about Israel. Iran could use it on anybody, including Saudi Arabia.
There is a big difference between what is possible and what is likely. I may have missed it, but I have not heard Iran cursing, condemning and threatening Saudi Arabia.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Drugs, on the other hand, should still remain illegal. People make the argument that beer does just as much harm as drugs, which is arguable. If anything, drugs will affect you in ways equal to or greater than beer including long term psychiatric effects, and it is much easier to accidentally OD on drugs than alcohol.
There are more drug related deaths on prescription drugs than street narcotics by a large margin:

http://www.healthiertalk.com/prescri...nal-drugs-0112

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...on-drug-deaths

It should be a much greater priority to clean the sleaze out of the FDA far before we spend more money on "the war on drugs". When our own government stops participating in murder for profit, then they might have a platform for the moral high ground.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

It's mine I spend it. On that note, Ron Paul 2012
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ls1_bean
It's mine I spend it. On that note, Ron Paul 2012
Simplicity FTW!

I will be voting for the candidate that assures my personal freedom, my right to privacy and every American's constitutional right to due process. Oh, that is Ron Paul too.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Scheuer is a nut, plain and simple. How can he possibly deny that Iran is a threat to US national security, yet still insist that Al Qaeda is going to detonate a nuclear bomb inside our borders? Where does he think they're gonna get it from?

For every expert endorsing this or that, there is another endorsing something/someone else. Leon Panetta, for example, would clearly disagree.

And its not just about Israel. Iran could use it on anybody, including Saudi Arabia. The idea is to prevent Iran from creating nuclear weapons in the first place, so that they can't use them on anybody. For what its worth, though, Israel can sure talk big for a country that's been at the US tit for decades.
So someone's a nut because they have a different opinion than you? I would think he has a little more credibility considering he had over 20yrs in the CIA, worked as Chief of the Bin Laden Issue Station, and in the Osama bin Laden tracking unit in Counterterrorism. Then served as Special Advisor to the Chief of the bin Laden unit. Seems like he would know a few things about the middle east and the people and countries over there.

I'll agree with your second statement though.

Last edited by Nwmembr19; 01-30-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
There is a big difference between what is possible and what is likely. I may have missed it, but I have not heard Iran cursing, condemning and threatening Saudi Arabia.
no, they only tried to assassinate the ambassador. there's also a diplomatic cable floating around detailing a meeting between the saudis and the cia concerning iranian involvement in al qaeda attacks in saudi arabia

O rly......

yarly

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=66977

So someone's a nut because they have a different opinion than you? I would think he has a little more credibility considering he had over 20yrs in the CIA, worked as Chief of the Bin Laden Issue Station, and in the Osama bin Laden tracking unit in Counterterrorism. Then served as Special Advisor to the Chief of the bin Laden unit. Seems like he would know a few things about the middle east and the people and countries over there.

I'll agree with your second statement though.
no, he's a nut because he gets paid to make highly controversial political statements using his past experience as credentials. look at all of the books he's cashed in on writing this stuff. kind of makes him a little less credible.

panetta and patraeus seem to agree on iraq and afghanistan. seeing as their intel is more current, i would be more inclined to believe them over this guy.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Old School Heavy

there's also a diplomatic cable floating around detailing a meeting between the saudis and the cia concerning iranian involvement in al qaeda attacks in saudi arabia
Oh, I am sure. Just like all the other manufactured evidence they create to serve their purposes. Like the all that great evidence and intelligence they fabricated on weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.