Chevy needs to take tips from Ford

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The grill and gauge cluster in the Explorer look awful to me. The Tahoe/Yukon is worlds nicer looking IMO. I also dislike every other vehicle pictured except the Fusion.

The Fusion is really nice though. Very clean and mildly aggressive looking car.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
The grill and gauge cluster in the Explorer look awful to me. The Tahoe/Yukon is worlds nicer looking IMO.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
And Ford needs to take notes from GM on how to design a simpler engine. Almost all of their motors from the 2000's to now, are way more complex/difficult to work on than they need to be.

That alone is enough to keep me away from them, I do my own work on my vehicles so that is a big consideration for me.
care to take a stab @ what motor the LS series motor was modeled after?

Modular motors aren't difficult to wrench on either, albeit them being wider makes it a pain to **** with spark plugs... but that sometimes isn't the easiest task on a vette or f-boat. Although the original 4.6 2v made an awful impression, the new series of modular motors have been impressive.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Ross-
[IMG]http://cdn.epicski.com/a/a0/1000x500px-LL-a0560b4d_NotSureIfSerious.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://image.motortrend.com/f/34818580+w786+ar1/2012-ford-explorer-ecoboost-cockpit.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4RinEs3XBrc/Ti688laa-HI/AAAAAAAACo4/HOUVnfCqcEc/s1600/chevrolet_tahoe_hybrid%252Binterior_3.jpg[IMG]

yeah, I love the new Ford dash layout as well.... and don't get me started on the awful head-unit/navigation system that comes stock on the GM's... ******* terrible.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Chevy is ****. I'm looking at a new truck and ford/dodge is just way ahead. Not to mention when pricing trucks, the $50k loaded duramax came out to nearly $60k with their bullshit options they added on. $900 for window tint? ******* joke, plus they damn near wouldn't let me leave.

Fords interior is sexy and dodge isn't nothing to laugh at either. Oh I forgot to mention the 18% interest rate on a chevy.
Didnt you loved to brag about "young money"? Where it went?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |

Modular motors aren't difficult to wrench on either, albeit them being wider makes it a pain to **** with spark plugs... but that sometimes isn't the easiest task on a vette or f-boat. Although the original 4.6 2v made an awful impression, the new series of modular motors have been impressive.
the width of the 4.6/5.4/5.0 liter engines doesn't make the plugs hard to get at all. they're all up top. what makes them hard is all the **** in the way around the intake.

i think the early 4.6 made bad impressions, because i think ford rushed that engine into production too quickly. i remember those dam things all burning oil faster than an old 350, which is kinda scary.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
what kind of work are you afraid of doing on a mod motor? do you also turn down work on dohc gm's? or toyotas? or hondas? or mazdas? or nissans? or subarus? or chryslers?
Didn't say I was afraid of anything LOL,(well maybe my wife when I F up) I just do it on the side and I can be picky. Anyone who uses a bike chain for there cam should have dumb *** written on three forehead.(common sence) Toyota's Honda and Mazda are far better than a mod motor to work on but my genysis evo scanner doesn't do near as much in the way of diagnostics on japs as Americans. I assume they intended it that way, but I do work on them a lot.$$$$$$
Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Not necessarily true. When it comes to CAN bus lines and new electronics that will make me have to buy a 10k dollar scanner to communicate with the system then no, I won't buy that or perform that work. But working on suspension, engine, brakes etc. I will still do my own work. I was a tech for many years and I always found a way to do repairs on vehicles that most tech's say can't be done by anyone but the dealer. That garbage has been being said for years. Most of that attitude is inability to understand how the systems work, or laziness. I say that because I used to take those jobs from those tech's. And actually it was more Diagnostic work than anything.

I am with codyvette, but maybe in a different sense. I am referring to engine teardown/repair. I have R&R'ed engine parts and cylinder heads on pretty much all the engines mentioned above plus many more. The cyl heads I had to R&R that I refuse to ever do again were on a Ford F150 with a 4.6, I later found out that the way the Ford tech's did it is to pull the cab of the truck off to save time. No thanks! I feel the same way about the Ford 4.0 V6 E motor. It has a damn timing chain between the transmission and engine for the bank one cylinder head. Rediculous...

The last mod motor I worked on was in a newer F150, believe it was a 08 or 09. Truck came in for a tune up, and becuse the new spark plug design is so wonderful the spark plugs break off down in the cylinder head.
You pretty well hit the nail on the head. I do still work on one f150 with a 5.4 with 250k on the clock because he has been a faith costumer. That has been a dependable truck for him but when it comes time for repair he knows it is a pain in the ***. I also form my opinions
On how to buy from actual repair experience but some self admitting asshat will always argue just for the hell of it.LOL
Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by codyvette
Didn't say I was afraid of anything LOL,(well maybe my wife when I F up) I just do it on the side and I can be picky. Anyone who uses a bike chain for there cam should have dumb *** written on three forehead.(common sence) Toyota's Honda and Mazda are far better than a mod motor to work on but my genysis evo scanner doesn't do near as much in the way of diagnostics on japs as Americans. I assume they intended it that way, but I do work on them a lot.$$$$$$
i shouldn't have said afraid...i was tired.

the most i generally see or do on mod motors is plugs(including the infamous 5.4 spark plug problems), and vacuum leaks. they really don't create a lot of problems.
once you got past the early 90's 4.6 liters(which were oil burners), they became very dependable, if underpowered engines.
like i mentioned before, i've seen them with nearly 300k on em.

if your scanner doesn't work well on japanese cars, look on ebay for otc and snap on scanners. in fact, i know a guy in blackwood nj selling an otc scanner pretty reasonably priced.
mazdas can be a pain in the ***........toyotas and nissans are gravy. subaru falls somewhere in between.

when i did side work, like i said, i was picky. i only wanted stuff i could turn over stupidly fast for a good price. now at the shop, the only things i turn away are engines(unless they're VERY easy, as they tie up a bay for too long) and audis. i ******* HATE audis.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i shouldn't have said afraid...i was tired.

the most i generally see or do on mod motors is plugs(including the infamous 5.4 spark plug problems), and vacuum leaks. they really don't create a lot of problems.
once you got past the early 90's 4.6 liters(which were oil burners), they became very dependable, if underpowered engines.
like i mentioned before, i've seen them with nearly 300k on em.

if your scanner doesn't work well on japanese cars, look on ebay for otc and snap on scanners. in fact, i know a guy in blackwood nj selling an otc scanner pretty reasonably priced.
mazdas can be a pain in the ***........toyotas and nissans are gravy. subaru falls somewhere in between.

when i did side work, like i said, i was picky. i only wanted stuff i could turn over stupidly fast for a good price. now at the shop, the only things i turn away are engines(unless they're VERY easy, as they tie up a bay for too long) and audis. i ******* HATE audis.
I hear ya not a fan of the Audi myself LOL. The snap on scanner is a genysis evo but I know there are better ones for the money. My only real point as whole is GM has done a great deal of *** whipping while sticking with an easy to work on efficient as hell push rod v8. If this was not true you would not see LS motors on everything from dune buggies to ski boats and even outboard motors. That's right i said Outboards(seven marine) and it is super charged look it up.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Teching In

chevy needs to learn what a turbo is and get away from superchargers, awd turbo cobalt would be awesome
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

The new Ford super duty grill?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skotchtape101
chevy needs to learn what a turbo is and get away from superchargers, awd turbo cobalt would be awesome
^^^^^ word
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skotchtape101
Uh...correct me if I'm wrong but they currently have the LS9/A motors (in 3 cars), and the SC Northstar in 1 car, so 4 different supercharged cars?

HHR SS, Cobalt SS, Duramax, Regal GS, and don't the spark and the sonic have a turbo option? It seems they already have more turbo than supercharged cars
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I HATE to admit it, but Ford does seem to have the $h!t in line at the moment... They are putting out some good looking new product.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
serious picture
I love the rest of the interior of the Explorer, but single gauge looking clusters are absolutely intolerable to me.

It's like a mild automotive OCD. Single gauge dash lay outs and 3 exhaust tips (or a single centered tip) are abominations which I absolutely cannot live with.

And the exterior of the Explorer does nothing for me either way until my view hits the wide bar grill which looks like complete ******* on everything Ford keeps trying to use it on. I think I first remember seeing that design concept on the Flex. Hated it from day one.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by codyvette
That's no ****. I work on cars on the side and I send mod motors down the road. I don't understand how someone can look at any other manufacturer as a whole and call it a better product. I guess this is where ignorance is bliss. All auto makers make pretty damn dependable vehicles but when it comes to overall views give me GM any day of the week, at least if we are talking about gasoline and you plan on keeping a vehicle for the long run.
I don't know why you are so scared to try to build a mod motor. They are very simple to build. The first motor I ever built was a mod motor and it is in my car now running 20lbs of boost thru it for over a year. Don't be so closed minded and try it. Once you find out how simple they really are to build you will be like damn that's all there is to it.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Launching!

they dod look ok ill give Ford that, but these look like the highest option, luxury of each, lets see some plain jane base model fusions and explorers i bet they look like ****
Old 02-07-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |

What were they modeled after?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dan03mach
I don't know why you are so scared to try to build a mod motor. They are very simple to build. The first motor I ever built was a mod motor and it is in my car now running 20lbs of boost thru it for over a year. Don't be so closed minded and try it. Once you find out how simple they really are to build you will be like damn that's all there is to it.

Not scared at all, I don't like them because I have built them and if you think they are half as simple, efficient , or as mod friendly as a LS motor you woud be the closed minded one. If you would like to prove me wrong, in a couple of months I am going to do a build and install on a LS in an f body. We can have a race to completion if you have a stang to do and we can bet a car waxing on it.

Quick Reply: Chevy needs to take tips from Ford