Chevy needs to take tips from Ford

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
What were they modeled after?
They are moddled after the old school small block Chevy with improvements they found in NASCAR like a higher cam journal, better valve angle, better combustion chamber design and runner design. If they were moddled after the ford mod motor they would have a bicycle chain running there cam and a crappy port design that requires boost to keep up with the competition.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
They are moddled after the old school small block Chevy with improvements they found in NASCAR like a higher cam journal, better valve angle, better combustion chamber design and runner design. If they were moddled after the ford mod motor they would have a bicycle chain running there cam and a crappy port design that requires boost to keep up with the competition.
i don't need boost to keep up with the competition.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have much to say about the ford line, but chevy has stepped it up to me compared to previous models. As far as leather was mentioned, my 135k mile trailblazer has excellent leather interior still, but the 4th gen I has was shitty leather. Comes with time?

The tahoe right now is something I am in love with, but I do like the raptor, I am a dodge hater, owned a couple and man, they cost too much for repair.

If there was no GM I would rock a ford, that simple. But they just don't do much for me, like the new stang but I would rather a new camaro for sure.

Hate the fact the old for trucks were straight dogs and slow as hell, and love the simplicity of the Ls platform, making plenty of power with the little old 4.8 now days, a chevy v8 is no longer available with under 300 hp is it? The 4.8 I swapped into my 94 gmc from a 09 silverado has hurt some damn feelings, of course it is carbed and has headers but that is maybe 40 more hp; enough that I whoops the last gen hemis.

I am thankful the mod motor line has come up inthe power department and can now operate w/o boost.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm waiting for him to tell me it's modeled after a mod motor.......
Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
i don't need boost to keep up with the competition.
You would if you raced real cars.... Zing!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

There are some pretty strong similarities between the older SBF and the gen 3/4 chevy motors, I am sure that is what he is referring to, as with just a little bit of work lsx heads can be made to fit onto a sbf and vice versa, and IIRC there are other similarities as well.

I think that new fusion looks badass btw, just like others have mentioned, wish it had a rwd or awd option, and stick an ecoboost or 5.0 in there
Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Is it just me or did ford use alot of the Volvo lineup to make "updates" to all these models?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Figured that, which is why I brought up the bicycle chain thing. As for the other guy saying the sbf is the coulprit, that may the biggest coinkidink ever but I very seriously dought anyone looked at a ford 302 and said that looks like good design I think I'll copy it LOL. I am speeking as a comparison, I don't hate the old school 5.0 my dad and I race one in a fox on a regular basis and it is a blast of a little drag car.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

You would if you raced real cars.... Zing!!!!!!!
you're right. i mostly raced chevys.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

the LS series motor is modeled after a SBF.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
now i'm a ford nut...like you guys didn't already know that....but i find the above hard to believe.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Figured that, which is why I brought up the bicycle chain thing. As for the other guy saying the sbf is the coulprit, that may the biggest coinkidink ever but I very seriously dought anyone looked at a ford 302 and said that looks like good design I think I'll copy it LOL. I am speeking as a comparison, I don't hate the old school 5.0 my dad and I race one in a fox on a regular basis and it is a blast of a little drag car.
That's exactly what we were referring to. I am not gonna dig up all of the information to back his claim, I will let Tyler do that because I just don't care enough about the argument, lol, but the evidence is real and it's there.

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Rather it was modeled after a SBF or SBC. Not discrediting the fact it could have been modeled after the SBF, I have not read into that so I can't argue that point. But, in itself, it is a whole different animal.

And if we compared SBF's to SBC's they are essentially the same design. A pushrod motor. The LS is as well. But it has a ton of advances in the induction department that kill all SBF's and SBC's prior to its design.

However I am curious what about the LS series is close enough in design to even recognize it as being an "improved SBF" I.E. "a modeled after SBF"
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Rather it was modeled after a SBF or SBC. Not discrediting the fact it could have been modeled after the SBF, I have not read into that so I can't argue that point. But, in itself, it is a whole different animal.

And if we compared SBF's to SBC's they are essentially the same design. A pushrod motor. The LS is as well. But it has a ton of advances in the induction department that kill all SBF's and SBC's prior to its design.

However I am curious what about the LS series is close enough in design to even recognize it as being an "improved SBF" I.E. "a modeled after SBF"
This is the internet, you can find evidense of th e existance of the locness monster,big foot, and even fast fords LOL. That doesn't make it true, but even if it did it doesn't change the fact that however it was designed, it is superior to all mentioned above by leaps and bounds. The evidence of that is under the hood of thousands of fox bodies and street rods all over the country
Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Those little Boss 302's are real slow.

Quick Reply: Chevy needs to take tips from Ford