Today sucked...

Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Today sucked...

I took the day off to put lowering springs on the front.

Some highlights:

Got the sway bar disconnected, got the driver's side strut out, spent hours trying to get the nut off the top of the strut, got it off and then couldn't get the upper perch off. Tried and tried but it wouldn't budge. Compressing/uncompressing, twisting nothing worked. So, now it's around 5:00pm and running out of time. I decided just to give up and put everything back together to try another day since having the car back together for tomorrow is pretty important, well strut mounts don't match up so I pull them back out and attempt to rotate the top/bottom. I think I have it, nope.. . More wasted time. Close to 6 now and I'm get worried about getting it back together.. Wife and daughter leaving for soccer practice. Then it happens. I put my hand on the fender and for what ever reason, I'm guessing Satan , the hood closes on my thumb and catches the first latch. I'm screaming, wife comes running, but can't find the release. I'm close to the wind shield and can't move. At this point I don't know if my thumb is cut, smashed, or gone. With the help of a crowbar I was able to free myself. It's didn't look like I jacked anything up.

So... In 8 hours, I got nothing accomplished, my car is still apart, and I have a screwed up thumb. Swollen, groved, tingling, the wrong color, and I can't bend it.

Next steps.. I don't know.

And I'm stinky and dirty.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes it did
Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy **** dude that must of hurt pics of thumb! lol
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Teching In

someone got a real bad case of the mondays!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
I took the day off to put lowering springs on the front.

Some highlights:

Got the sway bar disconnected, got the driver's side strut out, spent hours trying to get the nut off the top of the strut, got it off and then couldn't get the upper perch off. Tried and tried but it wouldn't budge. Compressing/uncompressing, twisting nothing worked. So, now it's around 5:00pm and running out of time. I decided just to give up and put everything back together to try another day since having the car back together for tomorrow is pretty important, well strut mounts don't match up so I pull them back out and attempt to rotate the top/bottom. I think I have it, nope.. . More wasted time. Close to 6 now and I'm get worried about getting it back together.. Wife and daughter leaving for soccer practice. Then it happens. I put my hand on the fender and for what ever reason, I'm guessing Satan , the hood closes on my thumb and catches the first latch. I'm screaming, wife comes running, but can't find the release. I'm close to the wind shield and can't move. At this point I don't know if my thumb is cut, smashed, or gone. With the help of a crowbar I was able to free myself. It's didn't look like I jacked anything up.

So... In 8 hours, I got nothing accomplished, my car is still apart, and I have a screwed up thumb. Swollen, groved, tingling, the wrong color, and I can't bend it.

Next steps.. I don't know.

And I'm stinky and dirty.
LOL I'm sorry but I busted out LOL when I read that lol hahaha

Good thing she hadn't left yet.... Or you would still be there..

I'm glad I'm not the only person that has **** luck like that..

So she just didn't know where it was to open the hood or was it not working right?

My wife would have been laughing and watching me try to get myself out of that ****.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for picture lol

Sorry you had such a bad day.. **** happends
Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Pics of said thumb or it didn't happen lol. My condolences for your **** luck sir
Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just about every set of lower springs I have put on a fbody had a seized nut on the strut tower
Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh man making me scared to do mine this weekend!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

^^ I must've gotten lucky with mine, had no problem doing the strano/koni swap.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why I don't work on any of my cars on a Monday...I always wait until about mid-week or the weekend if I can...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

I started this morning because I didn't think it would take too long.

I'll post a picture, which doesn't do the pain and fright justice. It's still swollen and hurts to bend. I think I'm lucky to have a "light" hood without sharp metal edges. Smoosh > Slice

Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
LOL I'm sorry but I busted out LOL when I read that lol hahaha

Good thing she hadn't left yet.... Or you would still be there..

I'm glad I'm not the only person that has **** luck like that..

So she just didn't know where it was to open the hood or was it not working right?

My wife would have been laughing and watching me try to get myself out of that ****.
I was screaming like a little girl, she was picturing my fingers flopping around the engine bay. Either she didn't know what to pull, my screams of "IT's IN THE MIDDLE" didn't register, or it was under stress from my thumb being wedged between the hood and fender.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Captain Double Post

lol well look at it this way since you couldnt get your car back together you will have no issues Hitching a ride with that big *** thumb ,no one will miss that lol
Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn that suxs but the bright side is u still got ur thumb... Imagine if that hood would of sliced it off. Scary to thk about lol!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If it makes you feel any better today I had to break down a 4L80E at work and I was breezing through it until it came time to pull the output shaft assembly out. The rear band was stuck so I reached in there to try to pull it by hand and I badly sliced open my left ring finger and 9 hours later it still hurts like a mother ****** and I've gone through like 4 bandages.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
If it makes you feel any better today I had to break down a 4L80E at work and I was breezing through it until it came time to pull the output shaft assembly out. The rear band was stuck so I reached in there to try to pull it by hand and I badly sliced open my left ring finger and 9 hours later it still hurts like a mother ****** and I've gone through like 4 bandages.
Hope you didn't get none of that blood on my car lmao jk
Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cp-qtb-pOE
Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes thing like that happen, and its best to step away from it just to clear your head... come back a few minutes/hours later with a better and more optimistic mind. Those were just signs not to keep on going!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Banned

did you try drinking beer? Sometimes when I get mad at my car when working on it, I just pop a cold one (+8) and evertyhing seems pretty mellow after that. It's just one of the many problems alcohol actually does solve

Search this Thread