Houston people.....help me out

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Houston people.....help me out

edit: 2 bedroom. Forgot about my co-pilot.

So, I'll be flying my new boss to Houston probably 3-4 days a month. I need to get an apartment somewhere in the Houston area. We fly into Hobby Airport.

We will come 3-4 times a month and stay for 1-2 days. So maybe 6-8 days a month on the ground in Houston.

Where do you recommend I get a NICE 2 bedroom apartment in a NICE area. Preferably close to restaurants and some kind of lively area.

Money.....I guess I can go $1,200/month....maybe a little more.

Like to be within a 30 minute ride of the airport.

Thanks.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-21-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What areas will you be doing business while in town?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
What areas will you be doing business while in town?
No business for me......I'm a corporate jet pilot. I fly my boss here in his private jet. I just need a cool place to get an apartment thats in a good area with cool stuff close by to go out and eat and hang out.

About the same cost of getting hotels every time, so he's paying for it. Plus I won't have to worry about the good quality hotels getting sold out like we did this week because of that rodeo thing.

We're here now at the Marriott, Gulf Frwy.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get something 30 minutes from Hobby may be tuff during Peak Traffic times..In Houston I-45 morning traffic goes from 6-10am - 3-8pm.You never know what will happen...

Anyway Clear Lake / Nasa Area is good area and the closest to Hobby...This area will fit your budget too..With Nasa on shut down mode you could possibly find your 1 bedroom on the lake...Great area during the summer time.

Galveston-Too far...You'll be disappointed with beaches compared to Florida..

Galleria- 610 loop - higher price area - party central - Westhiemer has its bad spots..

I moved from Jacksonville 11 years ago...Good luck with the search..If you have any questions PM me...
Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get a apartment in pearland. it's about 8 miles south from hobby. just take 35/telephone south and you hit pearland. good area not much crime (your normal stuff non of that inner city bs) plenty of resturants to pick from in pearland and i may be wrong but you can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment for about 800/month.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TEXASLESS
To get something 30 minutes from Hobby may be tuff during Peak Traffic times..In Houston I-45 morning traffic goes from 6-10am - 3-8pm.You never know what will happen...

Anyway Clear Lake / Nasa Area is good area and the closest to Hobby...This area will fit your budget too..With Nasa on shut down mode you could possibly find your 1 bedroom on the lake...Great area during the summer time.

Galveston-Too far...You'll be disappointed with beaches compared to Florida..

Galleria- 610 loop - higher price area - party central - Westhiemer has its bad spots..

I moved from Jacksonville 11 years ago...Good luck with the search..If you have any questions PM me...
Is Clear Lake where Bay Area Blvd. is.......there's a mall on one side of 45 that we went to yesterday and a bunch of restaurants along that street on the other side (BJ's, Carabbas, Jasons Deli).

I see the lake.....Clear Lake. I'll take a ride over that way tomorrow to look around.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-21-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Yes - I-45 by the mall..Lake is Clear Lake...Bay Area blvd

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

clear lake is nice area can get some nice places in the right area. galleria is the ive got money and drive a fancy car area. bars fancy restaurants blah blah.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
get a apartment in pearland. it's about 8 miles south from hobby. just take 35/telephone south and you hit pearland. good area not much crime (your normal stuff non of that inner city bs) plenty of resturants to pick from in pearland and i may be wrong but you can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment for about 800/month.
x2 Pearland is your best bet!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned

I'll check out Pearland tomorrow too.

I just want a decent variety of food and maybe a sports bar and a mall.

Not gonna be here too much.......

Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You could also do League City as it is south of the airport and has all of the above. A very nice part of town.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

You guys obviously don't know the life of a corporate jet pilot, or most the ones I know. Very active people generally.

LS6427, what do you fly? My grandfather was the VP of Enterprise Jet Center at Hobby in the 80's and 90's. Got to grow up flying in a lot of neat planes. I would get a highrise downtown. I lived in Rice Lofts, St. Germain, and Kirby Lofts for about 4-5 years. Parking is easy with assigned parking, and you are at the center of town. A couple good relaxing bars downtown, then a 5 minute drive to midtown or Washington area for the more happening clubs/bars. You are also about the same distance from River Oaks down Memorial or Allen Parkway. Again, about 5 minutes from the heights for some more bars, and older Houston culture and events. This also gives you the best access to Hobby airport with a strait shot. Won't take you longer than 30 minutes most of the time, even in rush hour. The snag you will hit will be 45 south and 610.

If you live in the Suburbs, you really don't get to experience Houston. Pearland, Clearlake, etc are nice areas, but about the last place I would want to rent a part time apartment as a corporate jet pilot. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TEXASLESS
With Nasa on shut down mode
Not that I know of. At least that's not what I'm told. Been out here for over 20 years. The shuttle program ending doesn't mean that NASA as a whole is shutting down, we still have a lot of work here.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS6427, PM sent.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by winters97gt
You guys obviously don't know the life of a corporate jet pilot, or most the ones I know. Very active people generally.

LS6427, what do you fly? My grandfather was the VP of Enterprise Jet Center at Hobby in the 80's and 90's. Got to grow up flying in a lot of neat planes. I would get a highrise downtown. I lived in Rice Lofts, St. Germain, and Kirby Lofts for about 4-5 years. Parking is easy with assigned parking, and you are at the center of town. A couple good relaxing bars downtown, then a 5 minute drive to midtown or Washington area for the more happening clubs/bars. You are also about the same distance from River Oaks down Memorial or Allen Parkway. Again, about 5 minutes from the heights for some more bars, and older Houston culture and events. This also gives you the best access to Hobby airport with a strait shot. Won't take you longer than 30 minutes most of the time, even in rush hour. The snag you will hit will be 45 south and 610.

If you live in the Suburbs, you really don't get to experience Houston. Pearland, Clearlake, etc are nice areas, but about the last place I would want to rent a part time apartment as a corporate jet pilot. Good luck.
You're right about pilots, and I party with the best of them. But I had to establish a rule for myself if I wanted to stay in this business. I've been following it for 15 years now. Absolutely no drinking the day before I fly....or if I don't expect to fly the next day I still won't drink. People that own their own corporate jets sometimes "leave early". Then I'm screwed. If I drink till 1-2am, then they call me at 6-7am to leave early because of an emergency....I can't fly because of the "8 hours bottle-to-throttle law" but even worse than that, I'll be hung-over terribly at 6am, probably till 3pm the next day....lol
The reason I made this rule for myself was because I did just this back in college. I had a flight at 10am and my friends and roomates talked me into partying later than I wanted to. I made the flight, but it was the most miserable experience you could imagine. The minute I landed, the instructor walked away and I started puking for like 5 minutes. The flight was a waste, a total blur.......that was 21 years ago.......

Also, we will only fly to Houston, Los Angeles or Washington when my boss has a meeting, the stay will only be 1-2 days each time, then back home for 8-10 days. So his 2-day stays can easily wrap up early and he will call to leave a day early.

It sucks, because I certainly like to have drinks, and I certainly like meeting and hanging out with locals in other cities. Plus, I love Texans, coolest people in this country.

I'm the Department Manager and Chief Pilot...Gulfstream IV-SP. Just got hired, still putting things together. Its the type of job corporate pilots work to get their entire careers. I'll fly about 55 days a year with this boss and I make WELL into the 6 figures. Can't do anything to ruin this job, especially since his last pilots were caught drunk one night in France a couple years ago.....and they called the pilots to take a flight to Germany out of nowhere. They gave them plenty of notice to depart in 4-5 hours. The captain had to tell him "sorry you cannot go for a flight on your plane because I'm drunk." So I have to simply make the decision....do not play around, don't drink when away on trips. We have an agreement though, that if I ask him directly for the night or next day off while away on a trip, then I'm released from duty and I can do whatever I want and do not have to even answer the phone during that time off. So we're on the same page. He's very cool and just wants us to be informed of what to expect from each other.

I do PLENTY of partying back home in Lauderdale.......most of the time when I get a flight, I'm happy to get the hell out of Lauderdale for a couple days. Then my friends can't pressure me to go to Happy Hours and other drinking events......lol

Anyway, we drove to his house on Tuesday and it was off Memorial, we took 610 around the loop to get there. We counted 3 Lambo's while driving through his neighborhood. But it was like 23 miles away on the GPS and looks like it could be a nightmare in rush hour to get back to Hobby Airport. I wanted to be a little closer to the airport.

But we'll drive around and check it out anyway......thanks.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Bay Area by the mall offers plenty of restaurants and plenty of apartments to choose from. Getting to Hobby would not be bad either. Drop me a pm if you would like to meet up for a cold one. I am a pilot too, just the commercial side.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by winters97gt

I would agree with this or even get a place a bit west of downtown on Memorial or Allen Parkway. There is a ton of good places to eat, cool things to do, etc and you would still be withing 30 minutes of Hobby, even in traffic.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Caribe
On Bay Area by the mall offers plenty of restaurants and plenty of apartments to choose from. Getting to Hobby would not be bad either. Drop me a pm if you would like to meet up for a cold one. I am a pilot too, just the commercial side.
Cool.....I'll give you a call once I get settled here......I'll need to meet some people that know the good spots around town.

I flew commercially for two years on the Boeing 747, world-wide. But private corporate jet flying is the life for me. Each pilot has their own preference what they like.

What equipment are you flying?

Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
I'll check out Pearland tomorrow too.

I just want a decent variety of food and maybe a sports bar and a mall.

Not gonna be here too much.......

pearland is great I lived there for 4 years has a out door mall theres a few sports bars in that area too , has hen, walmart, target , academy ,ect great are some places are a lil over priced in my opinion there but I don't make enough for a private jet either
Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Cool.....I'll give you a call once I get settled here......I'll need to meet some people that know the good spots around town.

I flew commercially for two years on the Boeing 747, world-wide. But private corporate jet flying is the life for me. Each pilot has their own preference what they like.

What equipment are you flying?

I am on the 737 for Continental aka United now. I was out in Guam for about 4 years. Moved back in May. I remember talking to you a while back about cooling issues. Take it easy.

Quick Reply: Houston people.....help me out