Getting a first gun for my CHL. S&W 9mm or .40?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalDruid
One reason the S&W M&P 40 is a good choice over the M&P 9 is that the M&P 40 can be converted to 9MM Luger with just a drop-in conversion barrel & mags or converted to .357 SIG by only changing the barrel! If you go with the M&P 9 tho, you will not be able to convert to .40 or .357
I have all 3 barrels for my M&P 40 and enjoy the lower cost 9mm at the range, but am usually carrying with .40.
If barrels are offered, you can do this with any .40 cal auto. I know Sig, Glock and XD's all can do this. It isn't just the M&P.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slash8915
So I got the glock, and I like it so far. One thing is that the night sights are a little worn, so I'm thinking of upgrading to fiber optic sights. Has anyone used these? How are they different than night sights? I already ordered a grip plug because that cavity behind the mag irritates the hell out of me.
The tritium does degrage over a decade or so and need replacing. Fiber optics wouldn't be an "upgrade" per se, just a change. They are brighter and easier to see in light, but do not emit light or work in dark situations like tritium. From what I've read you have to watch out when cleaning because some get messed up by solvents, and then I've heard people complain about the fiber optic dropping out of the sight. Truglo TFO's are tritium/fiber optic sights, but then you still have to watch the solvents and it may drop out. I really like the concept of the TFO's but I'm concerned about those issues. I may just get a set of XS Bigdot.

Tritium/FO Comparison vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayZr0...e_gdata_player

There is a counterweighted brass plug for the gap behind the magazine. One of my
Bro-n-laws used this and it helped the balance of his Glock.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 04-01-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read the whole thread. . don't have the time, but will offer my suggestion. If you are going to carry and be able to carry comfortably a glock 26 or 27, springfield xd sub, or any double stack magazine isn't really ideal. I have an xd sub and its just heavy and big. I bought a taurus tcp 738 in the .380 and its a very easy gun to conceal and carry. Look into it and the ruger lcp and the sw bodyguard. These gun are meant to be carried and still be comfortable. I have put on gym shorts and put my taurus 380 in my pocket and it doesnt pull the shorts down like a heavier gun will. Just something to consider if you are going to carry majority of the time as I do.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Glock 26 9mm. I don't carry with that mag though lol.
Attached Thumbnails Getting a first gun for my CHL. S&W 9mm or .40?-img_0319.jpg  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Does anyone have any personal experience with a Glock 22 .40? Oh, and apparently it doesn't come with laser sights, it's night vision sights. But it has been modded to have a lighter trigger.
BTW imo laser / red dots are useless on a carry weapon. I've practiced pulling from the holster and firing as quickly as possible. By the time I've found the red point I've already pulled the trigger at least once.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ysb02
BTW imo laser / red dots are useless on a carry weapon. I've practiced pulling from the holster and firing as quickly as possible. By the time I've found the red point I've already pulled the trigger at least once.
I agree, in a panic situation its put as many bullets in the air as fast as possible and you are shooting by feel, not sights. The smaller carry pocket 380's have very short sights.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
If barrels are offered, you can do this with any .40 cal auto. I know Sig, Glock and XD's all can do this. It isn't just the M&P.
Greed, thanks for the info. I was only familiar with the M&P and didn't want to assume anything. Good to know others can be converted as easy.

Slash, hope you enjoy the Glock 22. I think going with .40 S&W was a good choice.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I didn't read the whole thread. . don't have the time, but will offer my suggestion. If you are going to carry and be able to carry comfortably a glock 26 or 27, springfield xd sub, or any double stack magazine isn't really ideal. I have an xd sub and its just heavy and big. I bought a taurus tcp 738 in the .380 and its a very easy gun to conceal and carry. Look into it and the ruger lcp and the sw bodyguard. These gun are meant to be carried and still be comfortable. I have put on gym shorts and put my taurus 380 in my pocket and it doesnt pull the shorts down like a heavier gun will. Just something to consider if you are going to carry majority of the time as I do.

Depends on your rig. I can carry my xd in a supertuck with a gunbelt all day and be perfectly comfortable. The holster and belt make the difference. I can carry the smaller pistols (LCP or P238) in a cargo pocket or IWB all day too. OWB carry is even more comfortable, but you risk being unconcealed too much IMO, and I'm not wearing one of those vests. Now in the winter with a jacket, OWB is great.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Depends on your rig. I can carry my xd in a supertuck with a gunbelt all day and be perfectly comfortable. The holster and belt make the difference. I can carry the smaller pistols (LCP or P238) in a cargo pocket or IWB all day too. OWB carry is even more comfortable, but you risk being unconcealed too much IMO, and I'm not wearing one of those vests. Now in the winter with a jacket, OWB is great.
Is this what holster you are referring to?
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Su...me,ProductName

I have only been carrying for about a month and would like to be able to carry my xd sub. I like the taurus .380, but want the option to carry the xd.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM
9 Second Club

So I wanted to get this, but the price is definitely a no go. This thing is even MORE expensive on amazon.

https://www.lasermax.com/ProductDeta...p/Default.aspx
Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Is this what holster you are referring to?
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Su...me,ProductName

I have only been carrying for about a month and would like to be able to carry my xd sub. I like the taurus .380, but want the option to carry the xd.
Yessir. I'll recommend the horse hide. Skip the combat cut, you can trim the leather if you want. It isn't difficult. If you get it, you can adjust the cant. I prefer full forward. Hides the grip best for me. Tucker Leather, Desantis, and I believe one other company make comperable kydex/leather holsters. So shop around if you want.
Here is my holster set to cant full forward. I've seen guys add holes to cant it more or allow it to ride lower. You can clean them with saddle soap. I also treat mine with bees wax to help reduce the squeaks that you get after a while.

I also have an all leather IWB from another shop. Its a royal PITA to holster the pistol and the double layer of leather is noticably less comfortable.

A gun belt makes a huge difference too. It carries the weight more evenly. You can buy from crossbreed or whoever. I actually got a couple of Amish work belts from Hanks clothing. While they're not really a "gun belt," they do very well at half the price of belts marketed as gun belts.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Yessir. I'll recommend the horse hide. Skip the combat cut, you can trim the leather if you want. It isn't difficult. If you get it, you can adjust the cant. I prefer full forward. Hides the grip best for me. Tucker Leather, Desantis, and I believe one other company make comperable kydex/leather holsters. So shop around if you want.
Here is my holster set to cant full forward. I've seen guys add holes to cant it more or allow it to ride lower. You can clean them with saddle soap. I also treat mine with bees wax to help reduce the squeaks that you get after a while.

I also have an all leather IWB from another shop. Its a royal PITA to holster the pistol and the double layer of leather is noticably less comfortable.

A gun belt makes a huge difference too. It carries the weight more evenly. You can buy from crossbreed or whoever. I actually got a couple of Amish work belts from Hanks clothing. While they're not really a "gun belt," they do very well at half the price of belts marketed as gun belts.
Thanks for the advice man. Its much appreciated. I will look into one of their holsters.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Gun I got for carry on the left (Kimber ultra raptor 1911 - 45), and the gun I got the fiance to carry on the top (Kimber Ultra CDP 1911 - 9mm).
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a shame to conceal nice pistols like those. Wish they'd allow open carry. I know my wife would accessorize with her 1911 STX. It would be great to carry a full frame pistol and not have to worry about it being visible.

Quick Reply: Getting a first gun for my CHL. S&W 9mm or .40?