99 FRC Corvette Steering Column Lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, they both achieve the same thing=no more being stranded! The LMC5 just takes the wiring and relay out of the loop since it plug right in at the BCM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

OK Update!

Installed the Lockout & it unlocks the steering wheel right away, Then go to put the car in gear & drive & it dies out. Sam is gonna change something in the computer that should fix this problem & KNOCK ON WOOD im done with my Corvette Woes
Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

That is progress, the car is dying because the BCM still thinks the wheel is locked, even though it has actually unlocked. That is the issue I had, wheel would unlock, but the car would die when I tried to move forward/reverse. You can raise the cutoff speed from 2mph to 250 MPH, that is one way of fixing it. The other is that LMC5 module I installed, you remove the lock relay and plug the module/bypass right into the bcm. This has worked like a champ for me, no more DIC service column lock message or issues.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Teching In

That can also be tuned out with HPTuners. Of course the column has to be unlocked but there is a function to change the disabling speed (which I believe GM sets at 2mph) to whatever you desire and also change the column lock from fitted to not fitted.

I sadly paid a dealer to fix all this and then later bought the CLB for when my warranty expires in November it will be getting installed.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
That is progress, the car is dying because the BCM still thinks the wheel is locked, even though it has actually unlocked. That is the issue I had, wheel would unlock, but the car would die when I tried to move forward/reverse. You can raise the cutoff speed from 2mph to 250 MPH, that is one way of fixing it. The other is that LMC5 module I installed, you remove the lock relay and plug the module/bypass right into the bcm. This has worked like a champ for me, no more DIC service column lock message or issues.
Yes, it's a 2 part deal, you need the relay bypass as well, otw the car will still not let you drive.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Todays Update, Sam came over & was in & out in 5 mins & had the car running with the computer change!

Now in the Info Center is still displays (STEERING COLUMN LOCK, PULL KEY WAIT 10 SECONDS) But the car is still drivable till I hit a bump or for whatever reason the ABS Traction Control Light pops on & shuts the car off while im driving down the road. I have to put the car in Neutral & re start the car while its moving at 70 + mph down the road to clear the ABS Light & then it does fine for about 10 miles & trips the ABS Traction Light again thus shutting the car off where ever it decides to come on at. Also I bought the car to get better MPG, But cant see any info on the screen with the Steering Column Lock Message on cause it wont clear in the Info screen
Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

pull your codes... these cars can be headaches at times
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SEB
Todays Update, Sam came over & was in & out in 5 mins & had the car running with the computer change!

Now in the Info Center is still displays (STEERING COLUMN LOCK, PULL KEY WAIT 10 SECONDS) But the car is still drivable till I hit a bump or for whatever reason the ABS Traction Control Light pops on & shuts the car off while im driving down the road. I have to put the car in Neutral & re start the car while its moving at 70 + mph down the road to clear the ABS Light & then it does fine for about 10 miles & trips the ABS Traction Light again thus shutting the car off where ever it decides to come on at. Also I bought the car to get better MPG, But cant see any info on the screen with the Steering Column Lock Message on cause it wont clear in the Info screen
Sounds like you have two different issues going there. The only easy way to get rid of that message for the lock is to install the bypass on the column lock relay. It has to have that simulated signal to let it know that the column lock motor is back in place.

As for the ABS issue, mine was related to the steering wheel position sensor, although it never died on me. A few things to check, the first being the two big ground connections on the frame rails near the headlights. Pull these apart and clean any corrosion that is there, as all the grounds for the sensors are there and are very sensitive corrosion.

Also, make sure that you look under the battery tray at the main wiring harness. On occasion battery acid drips and over time will eat into the wiring harness.

Hope this helps.

-Ernie
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

My C5 ZO did that and it turned out to be a bad ground on the frame rail. I read on corvette forum to clean all the grounds really good. Did that, and never had any kind of service lights come on again.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by neutron82
pull your codes... these cars can be headaches at times
yes they can be a PITA! There have been a few occasions I wanted to set this car on fire, all related to electrical gremlins....

Quick Reply: 99 FRC Corvette Steering Column Lock