Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 points for New Mexico
Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Dont care what gun you carry. But if you dont ever plan to carry it walking down the street, dont get a CHL. You dont need one to have it in your car.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

^ well said. Attackers don't make appointments.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Dont care what gun you carry. But if you dont ever plan to carry it walking down the street, dont get a CHL. You dont need one to have it in your car.
I disagree. CHL card carriers have lower arrest rates than off-duty cops. When you get pulled over and hand the police your CHL, s/he knows:

-you have no felony record
-never had a DWI, BWI, or drug possession charges
-your fingerprints are in the FBI database
-you have no pending misdemeanors
-you are generally a good person of sound mind

granted, they should know most of this after pulling up your driving record when they go back to the car, but they'll walk back to their car with much less to worry about.

Bottom line: CHL = respect from police.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
I disagree. CHL card carriers have lower arrest rates than off-duty cops. When you get pulled over and hand the police your CHL, s/he knows:

granted, they should know most of this after pulling up your driving record when they go back to the car, but they'll walk back to their car with much less to worry about.

Really so having a CHL=Respect from Police.....That's a generalization sir I doubt it makes them respect you and (Correction)you can have a DWI and have a CHL....
Old 05-16-2012, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Well, having a CHL definitely doesn't hurt with most law enforcement I'm sure. The key to having a smooth relationship with police is to get them to identify with you, i.e. a sticker on the back glass from a university the officer graduated from. I would say an officer is more likely to identify with a CHL holder. Who know though. That's not the reason I'm getting the license.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

LEO's give out high fives for everyone they pull over with CHL

its a standard procedure.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Can you cite your source on this? I'm not trying to sound like I don't believe you, I would just like to be able to back it up if I repeat that.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

" In the mid-90s, a comparison of statistics found that Florida concealed handgun license holders were three times LESS likely to be arrested than were New York City police officers[iv]. There is absolutely no evidence that concealed carry leads to an increase in assaults or other violent crimes in the places where it is allowed."

I found this here: http://www.campuscarry.com/opponents...-review-panel/

Interesting..
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own 3 XDms ... the comp version of the 45, a 4.5" in 9 and the 3.8 version in 9.
I also own a springer 1911 A1.

So I am a HUGE Springfield nutswinger.

I too was holding out for an XDs. Damn ... that is a nice combination of caliber, capacity and package.

But the delays ... MONTHS after it was announced ... worries the crap out of me. I don't want to throw down $500 and have a carry weapon ... you know one that I depend on ... that isn't reliable.

Because the reasons for the delay have been so secretive, I tend to be pessimistic and think there is a major design flaw.

At any rate, I don't want that doubt floating around in my head.

So I found a Shield in 9 and haven't looked back. I let the first round of beta testers help Springfield work out the kinks.

In the meantime, I have 400 rounds through the Sheild and it is an amazing weapon.

I wrote a quick range report on another forum ... here it is ...

I have lobster claws for hands and its taken some time at the line to get comfortable and find its home in my grip. I've seen a few video reviews of folks applying grip tape to help stabilize the weapon and keep it from "walking". Because of the size of my hands, I'm still searching how to hold with my weak hand. I think this is adding to my grip issues.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the ergonomics in general.

Grading the trigger ... 1 is so heavy that I break into a finger sweat and 10 is holy crap I just ripped one off ... I'd say it's about 5 or 6. Its predictable, repeatable and not annoying.

Maybe I'm a flake, but I like the safety. It's easy access, easy to use, has a positive feel and gives me a little peace of mind while carrying with family and friends. I don't have a lot of tactical training, so I err of the side of caution.

I prefer the 7 round mag for two reasons. doesn't dig into my fat roll like the longer mag and the finger extension feels loose on the mag while firing. No issue in operation, just a little annoying and distracting.

So far it has eaten 115g WWB, PMC mega, S&B FMJ without a single issue. I have also run a mag of Hornaday 147g XTP JHP just to see, hear and feel how it responded.

Recoil has been amazingly and surpisingly light ... lighter than expected. In a small, lightweight package, its still got some pop. But even the wife can shoot it well ... better than me, actually.

I bought a McCabe IWB holster and carry at the 3-4 o'clock postion. Not extremely happy with it as a re-holster can sometimes be a "shot in the dark" pardon the pun. I think the top needs to be flared just a smidge. Might look into that this weekend.

I abandoned an SR9c for this weapon and I really like the Ruger.

It's not nirvana ... but its a heckuva platform and will serve its inteneded purpose well.
MHO ... YVMV
And the token photo ...

Last edited by mitchntx; 05-16-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

You can have drug charges and get a chl also. You just can't have any recently and the cant be felonies. A little class B possession charge 10 years ago won't hurt you.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

I've got my chl and..... Well I was young once.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

My vote goes to the ruger Sr9c. I've had it for a while an put about 1500 rounds threw in and it performed flawlessly. Although I don't have a chl, I keep in the car. An I would not see any issues for a carry gun.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Bottom line, you are obligated to disclose you have a CHL to police by law. 2nd bottom line; I have made MULTIPLE friends that either did or didnt disclose this fact and had an incident because of it. When a cop knows you have a weapon the game changes. They are trained to assume you do, but when they KNOW you do, its different. Generally not for the better. You have a single drink when out to dinner? Better now have a CHL, because you just drew a big ******* red X on your back. If you are not going to carry the side arm on the open street, do not get a CHL. It only puts you "on the grid". The laws in our state protect concealed carry in your vehicle. Beyond that, good luck to you. I am educated and informed on the matter.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

I carry a S&W m&p .40c in a crossbreed iwb holster. It's my favorite system to carry, I also carry my Ruger SR-1911 when i can wear a jacket. The 1911 is slim and I can drive tacks with it, but its super heavy.

I would recomend something slim and compact like the m&p shield in 9mm. I personally like .40 &.45 cal better but 9mm is chapper, holds more rounds, and with the modern defensive ammo it should stop any threat. Sure a .380 can prob get the job done but, ammo is harder to find and expensive so practicing will be expensive. Just my .02
Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ELDIABLO
Sure a .380 can prob get the job done but, ammo is harder to find and expensive so practicing will be expensive. Just my .02
.380 is 9mm short. It will do fine. Modern defensive rounds penetrate just fine.
.380 hasn't been hard to find since 08. I can find .380 all day, any day. Rounds don't cost any more than .40 cal at the most and are usually in between 9mm and .40. Defensive rounds are about $20 for 20. Pretty normal. I've bought FMJ and hollow points for the range for $13-16 for a box (50 rounds). Buying ammo is like anything, shop around.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Bottom line, you are obligated to disclose you have a CHL to police by law. 2nd bottom line; I have made MULTIPLE friends that either did or didnt disclose this fact and had an incident because of it. When a cop knows you have a weapon the game changes. They are trained to assume you do, but when they KNOW you do, its different. Generally not for the better. You have a single drink when out to dinner? Better now have a CHL, because you just drew a big ******* red X on your back. If you are not going to carry the side arm on the open street, do not get a CHL. It only puts you "on the grid". The laws in our state protect concealed carry in your vehicle. Beyond that, good luck to you. I am educated and informed on the matter.
Some outdated info here. As of Sept 1, 2009 the penalty was removed for not presenting a concealed handgun license to a peace officer if the officer asks to see identification, and if the person being questioned has a hidden weapon. Until then the state could suspend a violator’s concealed handgun license for a year.

Is it a good idea to go ahead and let them know? YES! Are you obligated to? No. Can the officer be an *** and give you all sorts of crap for not letting them know in the beginning? Yes. So IMO, might as well let them know even if you don't have to. Its not like its painful or something.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
.380 is 9mm short. It will do fine. Modern defensive rounds penetrate just fine.
.380 hasn't been hard to find since 08. I can find .380 all day, any day. Rounds don't cost any more than .40 cal at the most and are usually in between 9mm and .40. Defensive rounds are about $20 for 20. Pretty normal. I've bought FMJ and hollow points for the range for $13-16 for a box (50 rounds). Buying ammo is like anything, shop around.
Well I guess it depends where you live. Around here .380 is more expensive and not as easy to find like 9mm is. You can get 9mm fmj around here for $10per 50 and 380 is about $18. And I have to disagree with .380 being as good as 9mm, .380 Is shorter and has less powe/ lower ballistics than 9mm. So if I can buy .40 and .380 for the same price, then I'd choose .40. Just my opinion.

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not knocking .380, I'm sure most of y'all will agree we me when i say "I wouldn't wanna get shot with a .22". lol.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Amo costs should only concern people who go and fire their weapons weekly and fire them a lot.

If you are concerned about spending $8 more on a pack of 50, maybe you shouldn't be buying a $400-$700 pistol.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ELDIABLO
Well I guess it depends where you live. Around here .380 is more expensive and not as easy to find like 9mm is. You can get 9mm fmj around here for $10per 50 and 380 is about $18. And I have to disagree with .380 being as good as 9mm, .380 Is shorter and has less powe/ lower ballistics than 9mm. So if I can buy .40 and .380 for the same price, then I'd choose .40. Just my opinion.

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not knocking .380, I'm sure most of y'all will agree we me when i say "I wouldn't wanna get shot with a .22". lol.

I never said .380 and 9mm were the same. I just said the .380 will do the job.
I have .40 and .45 also. While they have more power .380 is great for the tiny pistols that easily fit in pockets. I've found I carry my .380's more often in hot weather for ease of concealment. Plus the frigging console of the V isn't large enough for my XD40sc to fit in which aggravates me to no end.

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Amo costs should only concern people who go and fire their weapons weekly and fire them a lot.

If you are concerned about spending $8 more on a pack of 50, maybe you shouldn't be buying a $400-$700 pistol.
Or start reloading instead of buying a second pistol.

Quick Reply: Conceal Carry Weapon