Conceal Carry Weapon

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Amo costs should only concern people who go and fire their weapons weekly and fire them a lot.

If you are concerned about spending $8 more on a pack of 50, maybe you shouldn't be buying a $400-$700 pistol.
To each it's own. I just figured if you're gonna carry a pistol then you need to practice. Which if you practice you will use a lot of ammo. If you're ballin' outta controll and can afford to spend that kind of money on .380 then go for it. I'm just saying 9mm is cheaper and with the new 9mm pocket pistols, its sonething worth looking into.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ELDIABLO
To each it's own. I just figured if you're gonna carry a pistol then you need to practice. Which if you practice you will use a lot of ammo. If you're ballin' outta controll and can afford to spend that kind of money on .380 then go for it. I'm just saying 9mm is cheaper and with the new 9mm pocket pistols, its sonething worth looking into.
Yeah. I agree with you. I have a 9mm (Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact). I'm also thinking about getting a .380. Probably the Taurus.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why the CHL hate in here? I've been in a couple of situations where im about 90% sure I got a little extra courtesy from law enforcement. A few of my buddies have had similar experiences.

And its all fine and good that you can carry in your vehicle without a CHL, but attackers don't always wait for you to get back to, and inside your vehicle before they do their thing.

And yeah, there is zero tolerance for someone with a CHL and alcohol. And that's a good thing. If you're not an idiot, you are responsible enough to not bring a firearm around if you are going to be drinking.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=Greed4Speed;1632210

Or start reloading instead of buying a second pistol.[/QUOTE]

Ive actually considered reloading. I do a little IPSC shooting and between practicing and doing matches, ammo goes by so fast. I shoot a XD tactical .45 and the only reason i can afford it is because I have a friend that reloads for me. I take him brass and he loads me 300-500 rounds at a time for .20 cents a round.

But I'm a firm believer that if you take on the resposibily to CCW you must practice a lot. The last thing you want to do is kill some innocent person because you suck at shotting your carry gun.

My wife carries a S&W bodyguard .380 everyday. Thats the pistol she wanted because it was the easiest to carry and shoot for her. But I made her practice a lot at first, and now at least once a month. With a caliber that small she needs to worry about shot placement and not just abiut squeezing the trigger.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

.45 Spring XD here no problems with it and carry everywhere I go
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Bottom line, you are obligated to disclose you have a CHL to police by law. I am educated and informed on the matter.
Because the first sentence is not true, I'm inclined to believe the second is not as well.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
And yeah, there is zero tolerance for someone with a CHL and alcohol. And that's a good thing. If you're not an idiot, you are responsible enough to not bring a firearm around if you are going to be drinking.
I'm gonna quote the book on this one. Page 70 of the "Texas Concealed Handgun Laws" states:

Q: Can I carry a handgun if I am drinking alcohol?

A: "Carrying" while drinking is not prohibited, but it is a criminal offense to carry while intoxicated.

That means be responsible for your actions, but you already are responsible, or they wouldn't have given you a CHL.

Lots of misinformation here. People need to take the class, get educated, and read the laws.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

I persoally would not drink and carry. My chl instructor told us that its not illegal to drink and carry but you can't be intoxicated while carrying. He also said it all depends on the cop if they wanna be a dick, because theres nothing that states what is considered intoxicated. Just like .08 Is the limit before getting a DWI, some people could be drunk and blow less than the limit. All I know is that I'm not willing to find out the hard way. LOL!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I know is that I'm not willing to find out the hard way. LOL!
This is the correct mindset. Know the rules, do what you feel is responsible, don't find out the hard way. I have no issue walking into a non-51% sign-having restaurant and having a drink with dinner, or even a drink with friends, while carrying. But I know I'm responsible and will man up to face the consequences of my actions if something goes wrong.

Last edited by 3.4camaro; 05-17-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Launching!

I persoally would not drink and carry.
Yep. If you are involved in a shooting and it becomes known you had a drink it will get very ugly. You will probably get reamed in civil court also.

I would tell the cop you have a license just because when she/he runs your license it will show. That cop will wonder why you didn't say anything. Some will care, others won't but why take the chance.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ysb02
Yep. If you are involved in a shooting and it becomes known you had a drink it will get very ugly. You will probably get reamed in civil court also.

I would tell the cop you have a license just because when she/he runs your license it will show. That cop will wonder why you didn't say anything. Some will care, others won't but why take the chance.
Regardless of your BAC or CHL status, expect to have a "civil courtroom experience" if you use your weapon to defend you and yours.

Shooting another person, whether justified or not, will have your life turned inside out looking for a perponderance of evidence that you are incompetent to own a firearm.

It could be anything from doing a bad job of cleaning the gun, lack of training, lack of experience, were in a bad mood ... anything that the opposing lawyer can sink their claws into they will.

Civil is way different than criminal.

A dude on meth can be busting down your door, threatening your infant daughter with a 10 gutting knife and his family's lawyer will say he was there selling girl scout cookies for his paralyzed, cancer riddled daughter. If 7 believe him and 6 believe you, yer screwed.

Carrying is a HUGE responsibility and commitment.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
I'm gonna quote the book on this one. Page 70 of the "Texas Concealed Handgun Laws" states:

Q: Can I carry a handgun if I am drinking alcohol?

A: "Carrying" while drinking is not prohibited, but it is a criminal offense to carry while intoxicated.

That means be responsible for your actions, but you already are responsible, or they wouldn't have given you a CHL.

Lots of misinformation here. People need to take the class, get educated, and read the laws.
Yes that is the case, but it is completely up to the cop whether he feels you are intoxicated or not. There is no .08 bac test that decides this one, its up to the cop. I have been told by LEO friends/ acquaintances that it will probably never end well for the person if they come across a CHL holder that is carrying when they've been drinking. Common sense tells me that is probably a common attitude. Probably easy for me to think because I don't drink anyway.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

If a dude is busting down your door then your probably at home and not carrying. That's way different. And I believe there are 12 in a jury and not 13
Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Ive had this mind set since before I got my CHL. I'd rather go to jail for saving my wife or kids life from someone trying to hurt them, than living the rest of my life with out them knowing that I could have done something about it.

I hope that i never have to use deadly force against anyone. But like everyone says "its better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Last edited by ELDIABLO; 05-17-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by derrickman05
If a dude is busting down your door then your probably at home and not carrying. That's way different. And I believe there are 12 in a jury and not 13
Not carrying ... true.

Civil lawsuit ... most likely

The judge makes 13 ... he has the power to throw the case out on merit alone.

Again ... civil suit not a criminal indictment.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ysb02

In response to your 1st paragraph:

This is why, in the event of a shooting, you should protect yourself and not say or do a damn thing until you get to your lawyer. There are no circumstances which would change this advice for me. Accept no breath test, no blood test, no intoxication tests. Take the ride to jail, knowing you saved a life, and don't say anything. Without PC or warrant, they have no right to collect biological samples from you. Period.

In response to your 2nd:

This is why I would always recommend immediately showing the CHL to the police and let them know your carrying status, whether you are currently carrying or not. This will put the cop at ease and prevent them from taking an anxiety-ridden walk to/from your car. They'll never wonder if you're carrying if they've just disarmed you, and they won't wonder why you didn't tell them you're a CHL if you tell ASAP. After all, police have a right to disarm you during any interaction if they believe it will create a more secure environment for them to conduct business. Don't act like the guy that gets arrested, simple as that.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Not carrying ... true.

Civil lawsuit ... most likely

The judge makes 13 ... he has the power to throw the case out on merit alone.

Again ... civil suit not a criminal indictment.
Does the TX castle law not protect you from a civil suit?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The castle law does now protect you from a civil suit. The person(should they survive) and their family can no longer sue you for what happens on your property. I want to say it includes your work place, but im not 100%
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

If the judge throws the case out then you most likely won't have a jury or used one anyway. And that would be for you not against you
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I like my Glock 23 or the 21 is good as well. Both come in .40 or .45

Quick Reply: Conceal Carry Weapon