calling all oil rig workers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus Christ!!!!! 1440.a fucken day!!!!!! That's rolling in tons if dough! One day that will be my job.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I don't want anyone to be misinformed by earlier statements. There is lots of growth from the rigs, most of your co men are from the rig.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea mostly everyone starts as a hand and u move up. I been applying to different on land and off shore rig companies. Hopefully one bites
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 04Vguy
No cdl. Been doin life support for sat diving for a few users and can't seem to find anything new so I'm looking at everything
Diving is not where its at anymore.. I would look into ROV. I just got on with oceaneering. Love it so far. Im actually sitting on a rig right now. Pay is ok but the work is a gravy train.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JankesGTO
Diving is not where its at anymore.. I would look into ROV. I just got on with oceaneering. Love it so far. Im actually sitting on a rig right now. Pay is ok but the work is a gravy train.
Ya I was thinkin about makin the switch to ROV. Only sucks that I spent all the money for my imca certs for Lst. What did you have to do for ROV? Any vlasses or what?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Your average day as a worm, will mostly mean scrubbing the rig making it look clean. Making connections, which means adding more pipe into the hole after you've drilled it down. And tripping pipe, which means taking the poor out of the hole to maybe change out the motor and/or drill bit. It's not as hard as everyone says, and Texas is a really good place to work on a rig because there is so much oil out there which means you won't have to worry that much about losing your job anytime soon. As long as you go out there and bust your *** you can move up to motor hand pretty quick, and IMO that's the best job on the rig, but sadly it doesn't pay the most so you'll have to move up eventually. Do you know if it's a top drive or a Kelly rig?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Ya I was thinkin about makin the switch to ROV. Only sucks that I spent all the money for my imca certs for Lst. What did you have to do for ROV? Any vlasses or what?
The easiest way to get into ROV is to get on with oceaneering... They have the best training in the industry that ive seen, and you are getting paid to train your not out of pocket like a school would be.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll look into them in the am
Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baalic
Ive said this before, but if you have a CDL apply at Halliburton. your pay doesn't start off quite as good, you make more hours though, easier work and if you go into Cement , there is the whole world of oil field available for advancment....

<-- Service Supervisor @ HALLIBURTON ENERGY 4 YRS OF SERVICE
You know a guy named Sam that used to be a resident tech at Halliburton for Warren CAT?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by derrickman05
Yes I don't want anyone to be misinformed by earlier statements. There is lots of growth from the rigs, most of your co men are from the rig.

I disagree, from a rig you can go to drilling superintendent, then
From there to a co man if your lucky, but those that go that route are old... 50's, 60's.. The co men in comparison from halliburton , some as young as 30.....

Also i call BS on your daily rate of 1400/day. Company men dont make that....well some may, but generally i
See them making 300k a year...

DD @1400/day 5 days a week = over 350k/yr at a 1week on 1 week off, its 235k a year. Last i knew our dd guys made about 150-170k
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeremyfrank14
You know a guy named Sam that used to be a resident tech at Halliburton for Warren CAT?
Our camp doesnt have a resident cat guy, we have to drive/tow our trucks to amarillo lol
Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 AM
Teching In

From there to a co man if your lucky, but those that go that route are old... 50's, 60's.. The co men in comparison from halliburton , some as young as 30.....

Also i call BS on your daily rate of 1400/day. Company men dont make that....well some may, but generally i

DD @1400/day 5 days a week = over 350k/yr at a 1week on 1 week off, its 235k a year. Last i knew our dd guys made about 150-170k

The directional drillers at the last rig I worked on we're making a little over $1600 per day and my step dad who is a company man at age 39 makes $2,150 per day not including perdium and his truck that they pay for. All companies pay differently and it doesn't matter what age you are as long as yor qualified you can be a company man. There are a few people that do it straight out of college, they don't last long with us because they don't have the experience needed for the job, but they do it.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Teching In

The directional drillers on that rig were working 28 on and 14 off so were all the other hands.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll look into them in the am
Oceaneering has many Sat vessels. Try and get on as an LST, then look into ROVs while you are there.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Call crescent directional in Houston and tell them you want to go contract and have 6yrs experience and see what they say! I bet one of my check to one of your checks they say 1400/day plus 40 per diem. And why the hell would they hire a cemented with no drilling experience to watch over a drilling operation? How long have you been in the patch kid? Let's say you were a 30 yr old co man with a cement background. Do you know what to do if you get stuck with a million dollar BHA in the hole? What about taking a kick and about to burn down a 20million dollar flex rig? What about working in a weak formation and your mud weight is a huge factor? Hell even the day to day operations of a rig and how it works. I'm willing to bet they hire drilling hands over cement hands to oversee drilling operations. 1400/day is middle of the road as far as day rates go. I could go up to north Dakota and make way more. My *** ain't going to North Dakota in -20 winters. Just cuz that kind of pay is out of reach to a cementer doesn't mean it's out of reach to anyone else.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

I btw I made 170 my first year Directional drilling. So if you know some DDs making that then they were probably new or working for cheap *** weatherford.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Directional drilling would be the ****, the only problem is half of them don't get anytime off. If you're a married DD then you have to have a whole lot of trust in your wife lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Man that's the downfall and why they pay the big bucks. It was cool when I was single but now I'm married with kids. I'm only in it till the house is paid off and I've got some cushion money. Then I might go do something low stress with a rotation like bit salesman or anything that'll have me home at night.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

you just said you made 170k a year, and for the record..... most company men have NOTHING to do with drilling, they are "consultants" the "drilling superintendent" makes major calls after consulting with the Co Man, and the Co Man 9 out of 10 times calls Houston, or whever their office is..

Ive been in the patch a while.... both on a rig and with Halliburton. It also seems that most of the co man I meet, even the one on the job for Apache I caught YESTERDAY, was an old Halliburton hand....

I mean my tickets run from 40k to 150k a job, that we do in one day, but I dont say tha's how much "I" make... sometimes we do 2 or even 3 jobs in 1 day....

Halliburton HAS directional drilling, but again I hold to my word, a majority of the co man I have met have been cementers and cross psl trained within their respective company, be it BJ, Schlumberger, Weatherford, wherever.

Usually they start off in Cement, move to Tools, then go to Sales, or PDC, or Op's manager before they go to Co Men..... we have had 4 PDC's, which are prior cementers, in the last year QUIT with job offers to go to be company men. One of the guys, has about 6 years experience with Halliburton.....

Also for the record, drilling was around before halliburton, but back then they used wheel barrel's to pour cement down a hole and were extremely limited with their wooden derriks and all. Halliburton revolutionized the oil field, and I guarntee the "schooling" they put our guys through to be a Cementer or even a DD ,are second to none..... BUT Halliburton's PREMIER PSL, is Cementing, it's what the company was founded on, and we still continue to set the standards in the industry....

I don't just say this because I work for them as quite frankly my job sucks most days, I say this from experience, and the fact that at least in the texas panhandle, we have all but chased out Schlumberger and we don't even ever SEE BJ catching job's in our area....

Anyways, I hold by my statements. And As I said before, no one moves from a "RIG" to a "Comp Man", at least not without becoming a Drililng Superintendent with good connections. But I can't recall the last time I saw a drilling Super do anthing other then show up for the safety meeting.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh fwiw, after 40 hours in a week, if I work a full day its like 708.00...plus 30 per diam....

at the end of the day, were all still oil field trash anyways...

Quick Reply: calling all oil rig workers