Any tips to keep dogs from digging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by dhutton
Get a plastic kids wading pool and keep it filled with fresh water. They will go in there to cool off instead of digging holes.

Don
It would work if my pitbull didn't love to chew everything, he would end up chewing through it. Thought of doing that but unfortunately he is an *******.

Also it's not just cool off holes, sometimes it's little random ones, unless those are the beginning of a big hole that they just didn't finish. If I could find a big metal tub that would be cool.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about keeping them in the house? A dog is not a pet, if left outdoors all the time. Unless they're hunting dogs, they should be in the house as a member of the family.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Putting their poop in the hole works. My problem is he sometimes digs holes near the patio where I do not want poop. I fill the holes with rocks then dirt on top.

I know...it suqs.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Putting their poop in the hole works. My problem is he sometimes digs holes near the patio where I do not want poop. I fill the holes with rocks then dirt on top.

I know...it suqs.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Banned

Shoot'em!
That will work wonders.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by texas99Z28
How about keeping them in the house? A dog is not a pet, if left outdoors all the time. Unless they're hunting dogs, they should be in the house as a member of the family.
When did I say they were not house dogs?

My dogs are in the house 98% of the time or more, they are rarely outside anymore. The times they were digging were the days I left them out while I was at work. Other than that they were inside. But now I have to keep them in the cage while I am at work. So they are always inside.

I want to be able to leave them out for several hours a day so they can exercise and play, I feel bad leaving them couped up all day.

Sometimes I would leave them out when I would go out at night so they could play but they would dig then too. So now they just stay in the house.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Mine dig little small holes in random places in the yard and I think they are going after something like a small rodent or bugs or something. Ive found 4 or 5 small dead mice over the 4 years weve lived in our house. I really dont care what my back yard looks like so as long as they cant get under the fence I dont really pay any attention to it.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Mine dig little small holes in random places in the yard and I think they are going after something like a small rodent or bugs or something. Ive found 4 or 5 small dead mice over the 4 years weve lived in our house. I really dont care what my back yard looks like so as long as they cant get under the fence I dont really pay any attention to it.
The little holes don't bother me, it's the ones that swallow me when I fall in them walking through the yard or mowing lol.

And then there is one huge one right at the corner of the slab of my back porch. We sit out there and cookout so the poop idea sucks for that so I may have to find a giant rock. It's a BIG hole.

I think most of my problem will stop if I stop leaving them outside on summer days. That's when they dig the big holes and I know they are doing it to cool down. I just hate to see them stuck in a cage, but I have started to notice they prefer to be in the cage than the heat anyway so it works out fine.

Quick Reply: Any tips to keep dogs from digging?