Lightning struck my neighbor's house last night

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lightning struck my neighbor's house last night

It was a little after midnight when the storms were hitting really hard. I was upstairs on my computer listening to music trying to drown out the noise. Then I heard an explosion that I have never heard before. It was crazy sounding. It sounded like when you accidentally arc a battery terminal but a million time louder. I didn't think twice of it and minutes later I heard the recognizable sound of a fire truck approaching. I peaked through my window and saw the fire truck lights flashing against my neighbors house. Investigation time.

I went outside and saw the firemen unloading their gear. You could smell the smoke in the air. Something must have went down. I came back inside to put on a pair of shoes and a jacket. From the time I went inside and returned outside, it looked like the entire fire department fleet arrived on my street. Oh ****. I walked to my sidewalk and saw neighbor's roof engulfed in flames. The flames were at least 20 feet high. I was shocked. The fireman were well organized and did work on that fire. It reminded me of a battle scene in a war movie. It was so intense. A fireman could have died battling that fire, no joke. It took them about 5 minutes to put out the inferno. The pic that I took was about 30 seconds before they fully extinguished the fire.

I talked to a fireman and he said that the lightning penetrated the roof and hit the second story floor. No one was hurt, thankfully. The damage is really bad looking from the outside. I don't know about the inside but I'm sure its horrible too. I don't even know if my neighbors were home or not. Their cars weren't parked in their driveway or garage last night. However, this morning I saw one parked in their driveway. All I know is that they are safe and fine.

Name:  pFVAg.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy **** man. Good thing they were ok
Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Does Homeowners insurance cover lightning strikes? Or, would it just be considered a fire?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

thats insane.
i remember when i was younger at my parents house... i heard the loudest crack of lighting during a storm in my entire life, and the whole house lit up (due to the close proximity of the strike sending a flash of light thru all teh windows).

when the storm calmed we went ouside to see a pine tree in our front yard with the tell tale strip cut down one side of it from root to tip.
it shot the bark in a line probably 50 feet across the street.
it was pretty crazy to see.
the best part, however, was the cooked squirrel laying in my front yard under the tree.

some powerful ****
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

probably not because it would be considered an "act of god" f-ing busllshit.

Hope they are ok.

J
Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dudeiwin86
thats insane.
i remember when i was younger at my parents house... i heard the loudest crack of lighting during a storm in my entire life, and the whole house lit up (due to the close proximity of the strike sending a flash of light thru all teh windows).

when the storm calmed we went ouside to see a pine tree in our front yard with the tell tale strip cut down one side of it from root to tip.
it shot the bark in a line probably 50 feet across the street.
it was pretty crazy to see.
the best part, however, was the cooked squirrel laying in my front yard under the tree.

some powerful ****
That's awesome!!!! lol
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

A jacket in Texas in May?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99 bad ***
A jacket in Texas in May?
Raining hard at the time.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

A clean up crew has been tearing up the house all day. Don't know all the details. Thankfully, insurance is covering it. Here's a bad cell pic of the roof.

Lightning struck my neighbor's house last night-cd6dk.jpg
Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

holy crap
Old 05-31-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to hear everyone is alright.

We had a tree in our back yard get struck just a few weeks ago. The tree isnt but 10ft from my garage so we were very lucky it didn't hit the house. Only zapped our phones/cable and the garage stereo.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Man I hope everyone is ok that looks bad.

squirrel story. In my 1 ton suburban loaded with tools and parts running service calls in residential neigborhood driving down street squirrel darts back and forth 3 times as I approach the dumb *** tried for #4 but couldn't miss em whack got em.

Lady follows me then proceeds to bitch me out for whacking said squirrel and says I didn't try hard enough to miss it. Lady do you see the size and weight of this thing I'm driving. idiots.