Loving male Black lab needs a home

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Loving male Black lab needs a home

We are being forced to give up our black lab. Hes an 85 lb male named Hunter. We've got twin baby girls, and he recently growled and snapped at one of them after being in doggy daycare for a weekend. I have no doubt it was an isolated incident with him being tired and annoyed from the heat all weekend, but my wife is never going to be comfortable with the situation. Hes a gentle giant otherwise, a huge baby, and really a loyal shadow dog. I need to find him a loving home where he can be the center of attention.

Hes the best looking male lab I have ever seen, and he gets compliments everywhere we go. I'm going to be a little picky when placing him because he really is my best friend

Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great looking Lab you got there....he's got the "Plllllzzzzzz don't send me away" look in that pic
Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

He really is my best friend, and this is hard for me to do. Ive got some serious pressure from the wife. If you guys would please pass this along to anyone you may know, I would appreciate it. I cant stand the idea of placing him in a shelter, it just makes me sick
Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Good luck finding him a home, if we were closer I might take him. Hate to see you loose your best friend, I know how you feel.

Chad
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

That brings up a good point...

I am more than willing to drive to take him to a new home or meet someone within reasonable distance
Old 06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

ill try to spread the word on my end, i know a few people in the veterinary world i can see if they can help you out
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Launching!

labs are usually great around kids. sounds like a random incident.
have you thought about maybe some dog training classes, i'm sure that would help obedience and to realize whats off limits.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, you need to keep the dog.. He's your responsibility when you took him home.. It's easy to keep the kids and dog separated, at least till they are older.. Not being a d*ck but I'd never do that to my dogs, unless they went rabid. You can have him trained in sure.. I have a Chocolate Lab that's 12 yrs old, my youngest son is 8 and used to annoy the crap out of him, pulling his ears and stuff. Never did he get aggressive at him.. Labs are the number one breed in the country for over a decade.. Your wife is being a mother but needs to understand that you can't just get rid of a part of the family like that.. Sorry long rant.. But please reconsider..
Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Mellow,

Don't for one second think that I have not tried everything I can to make this work. I am a dog lover 100% and Hunter is my bud. Trust me, if I had wanted to get rid of Hunter or given up on him, it would have been years ago when we took him in as a rescue and he had severe separation anxiety issues that pretty much took over our lives. I had to take him to work with me, and that finally had to come to an end. Ive exhausted all avenues to hang on to him. Ive grown up with labs all my life and I feel like **** in this instance.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

You should mention to your wife that you are going to get rid of her if she snaps at the kids.....

Sorry, I have a soft spot for dogs (and your lab Hunter looks EXACTLY like my black lab) and if I didnt already have 2 Id offer to take him off your hands. Ill ask around and see if I cant find someone to take him,
Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Launching!

sounds like you need to get rid of the wife and replace her with another badass black lab!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Got a pic of the wife?

Chad
Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to agree with what most of the guys above have said. There is just no way I could give up a dog under those premises. The dog isn't stupid and will adapt with attention and training (if necessary). Before you know it, the dog will recognize the babies like part of the family and protect them if anything. Wifey needs to get over it.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way I could ever get rid of my dog. My girlfriend of 9 years would go first. If he snapped at someone even if it was my child I would not give him up. If I had to leave him in the yard all day there's no way I could get rid of him. I would do whatever it took to keep the kids and the dog seperate. That being said I don't blame you for being concerned but at least make it be your decision. If you can keep the dog away or train him then keep him. When dogs snap...it's usually something else going on and nothing to be concerned about. You say he's a great dog so let him prove it to you, let him show you that he can be around the kids and be a good dog like you know he can be.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have u ever been around a dog that has gotten released from the pound after testing them for rabies? They are very jumpy/snappy, and its not their fault. They place them in a box and poke them with a stick over and over again.

Now Im not saying the doggie daycare poked them with a stick but something could of happened there that u are not aware of.

I know this decision isnt easy for you but if this the first time he has ever acted out I would HIGHLY reconsider.

Something to think about.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you believe it is an isolated incident, then why are you so adamant about giving him away? When dogs are placed in situations where they are at a foreign place or being constantly moved, they get frustrated and annoyed.

If my wife ever forced me to give away my dog and my best friend, who I know isn't aggressive or harmful, I would ship her *** out of the house.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
sounds like you need to get rid of the wife and replace her with another badass black lab!
I don't understand these type of threads. I can't fathom the idea of getting rid of a best friend you've owned for years due to him snapping at your kid.

Take your wife to a shelter for the day, lock her up in a cage and see if she comes out grumpy.

Talk to your wife and see if training class is a possibility.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, heres the food chain at my house.. My sons, my dog, my T/A then my wife.. And she knows that.. She came into our life, not we got the dog after.. So, you see why it disturbs some folks on here..
Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

You and your wife need to make a compromise. I would offer that you will send him to a training school and then to be evaluated by a professional to see if there is any future risk of a violent attack.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Teching In

How old is he and does he have any training or papers ? I know alot of people that are into training labs for hunting, trials. I would take it but my choc is keeping me busy enough lol.