Jobs in the Oil Field???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Jobs in the Oil Field???

Ok so I am currently looking for a new job. I have been working for the same company for 5.5 years. I just need something new, I am looking for a career not just a job. I have applied and interviewed with a few company's lately. I would love to get into the oil field and from what I understand they make some pretty good $$$$$ starting out. I haven't been on a very huge search for a oil and gas company. Can anybody point me in the right direction as for companies to apply for or any pointers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just talk about safety and team work a lot. Also make sure the schedule is right for you, I'm still debating on if being gone a week at a time from my family and girl, missing/ busting major *** through college and working 500 miles a way is worth it. I make good money now so it's a hard decision. I couldnt live with my mom being disappointed in me not going to college.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest refinery over drilling rigs. For the most part you can live fairly close to the refineries, i live/ grew up 10 miles from my refinery in el paso. The pay to work load ratio is pretty awesome and there is none of that being goe a week crap. We do 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. nights then days...
Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 92maro
I would suggest refinery over drilling rigs. For the most part you can live fairly close to the refineries, i live/ grew up 10 miles from my refinery in el paso. The pay to work load ratio is pretty awesome and there is none of that being goe a week crap. We do 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. nights then days...
What are some good refineries to get on with? I just started looking into this line of work. I am going to be doing some research on Monday when I get a chance to sit down on the computer and make a new resume. I will be on career builder, are there any other good websites to look at? Thanks for any help, pointers or tips that you could give to me.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Please search. There are a million threads on here discussing this.

Start your search here:

www.rigzone.com

www.oilcareers.com
Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Just talk about safety and team work a lot. Also make sure the schedule is right for you, I'm still debating on if being gone a week at a time from my family and girl, missing/ busting major *** through college and working 500 miles a way is worth it. I make good money now so it's a hard decision. I couldnt live with my mom being disappointed in me not going to college.
I went through the same dilemma. I got a contracting job working in the oil fields and I was making some serious bank. Try working 14 on 14 off in North Dakota during the winter. That was some hardcore **** but I loved it and it was very rewarding to me. However, there was no way I was going to do that the rest of my working life. Sure the money was awesome but the cons out weighed the pros.

If you do decide to quit, save as much money as possible or else it wouldn't be worth it.

Last edited by texas94z; 06-19-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

You come to me talking like a retarded penguin and I will show you the door. The work isnt hard and money is ok starting out. But those who come looking for a career are good to work with. And the pay off is very rewarding. Most people think of only drilling jobs or maybe flowback. Both make good money. If school is in your future. And it may deal with the oil field. Most companies will send you thru school. And yea N. Dakota suxed. Mainly williston. But there is plenty here in Texas to do.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tillery
You come to me talking like a retarded penguin and I will show you the door. The work isnt hard and money is ok starting out. But those who come looking for a career are good to work with. And the pay off is very rewarding. Most people think of only drilling jobs or maybe flowback. Both make good money. If school is in your future. And it may deal with the oil field. Most companies will send you thru school. And yea N. Dakota suxed. Mainly williston. But there is plenty here in Texas to do.
You back???
Old 06-19-2012, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Not in west texas yet. Been working high pressure and wild well control down south. And going to Canada soon. Maybe bringing a new company out there called Sanjel. Will hit you up when im out that way again. Maybe on the 4th weekend.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Agreed! Safety is key. Both my father and uncle worked in oil fields and my uncle broke his neck falling off a rig and is now a paraplegic. He smelled sour gas and told his coworker (who was occupying the ladder at the time) who simply told him to finish up and THEN come down. Well, he didn't make it and got dizzy and fell to the ground many feet below. I don't really know much about the oil drilling scene, or refinery for that matter. But I'd definitely find out as much as you can first, good start . Fwiw they were working in the muskeg in the North West Territories here in Canada and loved it! Although they had to be away from home for weeks on end and had to endure temperatures you probably haven't even heard of. When they rode in, it was on a road that could only accomodate one tractor/semi as far as width. So if you met someone coming out, the smaller truck would have to ditch it and wait 2-3 days for a tow. Again, it really depends on where you go...but it's not easy work. Best of luck to you and I hope you find what you're looking for .
Old 06-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Rigzone.com, just got picked up via that website and still receiving calls looking to setup interviews.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

The best advice i can give you is to do research on your own and dont listen to idiots not in the field... There are alot of people who run there mouth on what you should do when they themselves failed at getting into operations, or loading racks for that matter, even though they hung out with the managment riff raff and it was a sure thing.....