Just wanted to share my recent ticket and police experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wanted to share my recent ticket and police experience

Couple days ago I received a ticket for an illegal U-turn.
I did it in the safest possible manner, it was my alternative to attempting to turn left from a gas station, going across 2 lanes of busy traffic from both directions.

So I decided to turn right, go down to the next intersection with a light and left only protected green arrow lane, and U-turn there...less chance of getting in an accident.

Apparently there was a no U-turn sign that I missed, so I get pulled over for it.
Immediately pulled over to safest location for myself and the officer (biker).
I was as calm and courteous as possible, told him I was going to reach into the glove compartment where my insurance and wallet was, just so there was no confusion as to what I was doing.
Answered all questions as nice and complete as possible, always with yes sir or no sir.

5 minutes later, he says "thank you for being so courteous with me, here's your ticket, have a nice day."
Are you serious? A warning would have more than sufficed, if he informed me that it was illegal to do a U-turn there I would have never done it again, simple as that. (btw, there is a sign there, just not in the usual spot)

Fine, whatever. Payed my $150 to the policeman's ball the next day and got on the highway to head home.

What really GRINDS MY GEARS, is on the highway home, I was doing 65 in a 65, middle of three lanes.
Some guy starts tailgating the **** out of me, less than 10ft between us.
I see a SUV cop in the right lane ahead of us, but this guy won't back off or pass me, been there for about a minute now.
I decide to get up to ~67-68mph and slowly pass by the cop, still with my tailgater all up in my business.
I look at the cop, he sees me, still being tailgated I continue to pass him.
...and my tailgater passes him.
...and nothing happens.

WHAT GIVES?
Nice guys finish last or what?
Seriously losing respect for these petty traffic cops.
(Not shitting on real police officers and work, you know...the ones that stop crime.)

I'm a kid in a Camaro, but come on!
I ALWAYS ALWAYS get a ticket if I get stopped, no matter what it is.
I'm always perfectly polite and honest...never get a warning.

/rant.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's just doing his job. Just pay your fine and everything will be good.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Was it county? City? Citys do tend to need revenue from traffic violations. County, not so much. If a sheriff deputy cites, it is usually because you are asking for it, or they are on a STEP program that is basically over time writing moving violations, it is a specific task and is nearly unavoidable.

Constable deputies do not usually write, but it all depends on department operating procedures.

Dont be discouraged, it is life as being young in a sports car.

I got a few "exhibition of acceleration" cites when i was a teen, and 2 of which were not even legitimate, and 1 had i known at the time was not even enforceable. Now that i am fixing to be a LEO, i know better, but knowing the law helps.

A moving violation, is at all times at the officers discretion to write, warn or take into custody.

Exceptions are what i stated above. A departments may specifically have their peace officers cite for any violation committed in their view and they work like everyone else.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Being a standpoint guy is it's own reward. You made a mistake, took ownership for it and paid your fine. Maybe you'll catch a break next time (or the next time). At least you didn't act like a douche and then come on here complaining about what dicks cops are for no reason.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
LS7 Member

Get bigger *****
Old 06-23-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99FRC
Being a standpoint guy is it's own reward. You made a mistake, took ownership for it and paid your fine. Maybe you'll catch a break next time (or the next time). At least you didn't act like a douche and then come on here complaining about what dicks cops are for no reason.
I agree^
Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cop on the highway could have been off his shift heading home, did you think of that? or just jump the gun and think he/they are petty officers for not doing anything at the time.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Typically a motorcycle cop's only job is traffic enforcement. It is a rarity they issue warnings.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Revenue generators can suck a big one. I don't care if they even make it home to their families that night. I don't even get tickets and I can't stand it!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Wow, nice guy aren't you. Lol
Old 06-23-2012, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
Revenue generators can suck a big one. I don't care if they even make it home to their families that night. I don't even get tickets and I can't stand it!
Wayy out of line man. I hate tickets as much as the next guy. And I have had a few that I did not agree with and it sucks because you feel like you're getting robbed. What I hate even more? Abuse of power (anyone seen the news in Dallas lately). But they don't deserve to die over it.

The way I see it, there are ******** in every profession. There are doctors who are ********, there are mailmen who are ********, there are cops who are ********. The problem with a cop who's an *******, is he can REALLY screw ya if he wants to. I try to limit my exposure to law enforcement for that reason. Because I am not the kind of guy who just takes it.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta consider the amount of the fines (tailgating vs illegal u-turn), and which is likely to challenge in court and/or be dismissed...
Old 06-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slow LSX
Yeah because real cop work is writing tickets. You do realize we passed 40k laws last year, more than any other country. And we are the land of the free???????
Thank you sir!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol thanks guys.

I understand the other officer might have been on his way home or whatever, but it was just kinda like...wow, really?
Flick his lights at the guy or something.

Just kinda complaining because I got penalized for being safe and some tard gets let off free.

Just a lot of negative stuff lately and seems I can't catch a break.
I got in a wreck the day I got my other Camaro, rear ended by some lady speeding/not paying attention.
I turned into a country road (55mph), was completely in my lane, got up to about 35mph (taking my sweet time, no rush, so a good 8-10 sec)
Lady comes flying up behind me, hits me square in the rear bumper, leaving 40-50ft of skid marks.
I'm no rocket scientist, but it doesn't take that long to slow down 20mph.
Anyway, cop showed up, instantly blamed me.
Kid in a Camaro vs. Nurse in a Civic + a small town cop
Guess who won that argument? lol. Payed that and moved on.

I don't pretend to know what all goes on for police and city/county policies and what they may be trying to do, I'm just not happy with the majority of how things work anymore. (or end up)

Feel like going to live in the woods and be a hermit so no one can **** with me anymore lol.

Last edited by happysem; 06-24-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by happysem
lol thanks guys.

I understand the other officer might have been on his way home or whatever, but it was just kinda like...wow, really? Flick his lights at the guy or something.

Just kinda complaining because I got penalized for being safe and some tard gets let off free.

Just a lot of negative stuff lately and seems I can't catch a break.

I don't pretend to know what all goes on for police and city/county policies and what they may be trying to do, I'm just not happy with the majority of how things work anymore. (or end up)

Feel like going to live in the woods and be a hermit so no one can **** with me anymore lol.
Look bro, if you honestly believe that the sign is obstructed or missing, take a picture of the intersection where he nailed out from, and show it to the Judge or prosecutor. A while ago I blew out a tire and as I was pulling over to the side of the road a DPS Tahoe pulls right behind me, to conduct an inspection. Basically the dick kicked me while I was down. He issued a citation for driving with a flat a 360 dollar fine in Kennedy, TX

I had to take a day off from work took the dam tire along with some picutes. and when the pinche trooper showed up, the first thing the Judge asked him if he's taking advantage of his position. Bottom line, Contest it, just as long you didnt admit you made an illegal U-turn to the Narc then you're chances of getting it dismissed increase.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys he's already paid the ticket.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:45 AM
In-Zane Moderator

So you got hit in the rear and it was your fault? I'd you pulled out in front of the vehicle that hit you, then you are at fault if they can be considered within hazardous proximity. If you were doing the speed limit, then that would be different. The law is something that everyone should be tought in high school I think.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Launching!

A lot of good points made here, but even though you've already paid the ticket, some advice for the future might help: if you truly believe you weren't at fault, CONTEST the ticket.

I've been pulled over 39 times and only been ticketed 15 times in my 9 1/2 years of driving. lol, only, right? Not all of those are speeding though, some were stupid tickets. Of those 15 tickets, I've probably had 4-5 dropped. Now, that's a 1:3 ratio, 33%, not too shabby I'd say.

Basically: do your research, contest the ticket, and see what happens. It never hurts & if the officer doesn't show up, you automatically win. There's also a thing (can't remember the name) where you contest the ticket by a written declaration, mailed to the court. Anywho.. good luck in the future.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

^^^^^^ Would hate to see your insurance payments!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry if I left it out.

There is a sign there, I just didn't see it =/.
Was focused on looking for other things...you know, cars, pedestrians, falling meteorites, real problems lol.

As for my ticket with the wreck, the officer said it was my fault instantly, before he even came to talk to me.
I looked both ways before merging, there was no one within a reasonable distance.
It didn't do much damage to the car, just enough to suck.
Fact was, she wasn't paying attention, slowing down 20mph (IF she was doing the speed limit) doesn't take THAT much to slow the difference.

I talked that one over with my insurance company, it could have been fought but both parties were perfectly fine and her car was a POS and I could fix mine. My insurance rates BARELY went up, and with defensive driving the ticket was almost nothing.

So it really wasn't worth the time to fight a small town cop, cut my losses and moved on.

Maybe I am actually really lucky, I do my share of enjoying a Camaro, so maybe this is just payback lol.