Now Blown by twins

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

sweet , i guess your not concerned about the engine or trans warranty being modded , i love those trucks .
Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
I bought a 2011 FX4 Supercrew on black friday last year. I absolutely love it! The whistle from those turbos is WAY too addicting. I have pulled my 20 ft Larson bowrider (ski boat) and just finished a long day of hauling hay (120 square bales at a time) in 100+ degree heat. It pulls better than any other 1/2 ton truck I have owned by far.
What kind of fuel economy while towing?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

If you want to continue getting good mileage do not go with larger tires, the ecos are setup gearing wise for stock stuff. Many guys who go with 33s report losing 2.5-4mpg. If I was in the market for a new truck it would defnitely be a FX4 ecoboost truck. Low 13s with just some bolt ons is nutts.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
If you want to continue getting good mileage do not go with larger tires, the ecos are setup gearing wise for stock stuff. Many guys who go with 33s report losing 2.5-4mpg. If I was in the market for a new truck it would defnitely be a FX4 ecoboost truck. Low 13s with just some bolt ons is nutts.
I'm not really sure about that. The EcoBoost can come with a bunch of different gears from the factory so maybe its the rotating mass that makes the gas mileage so much worse?

My truck has the 3.55 gears but you can also get 3.73s, 3.15 and 3.31 gears.

So having a 31" tire factory with 3.55 gears and swapping on a 33" tire would be like having a 3.31 gear factory with stock tires. There is no way those trucks are getting worse fuel economy.

As soon as my tires are fried I'll be getting 33's or 34's so I'll let you know how it goes. Right now I'm only averaging 14-15 mpg mixed driving.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Those are good runs in that heat, I was there this last friday as well and it was damn hot! Took the GT500 and best run was 12.45 @114, the computer was a pulling a ton of timing. My 1st run right off the hwy with no cool down was a 12.57 @114...were you still there when the Supra hit the wall?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Thats crazy how much difference the tune made. Hope you didnt like your warranty though lol. We just got a couple of 2013's in on our lot, very nice trucks. I wonder what it'd do with full exhaust, bigger i/c and a small turbo upgrade.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ultradriver10000
Update:

She now has 2500 trouble free miles and I have a SCT on her. The SCT canned tunes are pretty good I can't complain about them. I also have the 5 star tunes which ROCK. I can't wait to get the new 93 tune and I'll probably have them do a silly 110 tune as well.

New intake should be in next week, not really sure if it'll do anything but I'll be back at the track for some updates.

Three stock runs, full weight with a 215lb driver in 100 degree Houston weather at Royal Purple Speedway.

As you can see I was still dialing in the 60' times. If I cut a 2.1 like I did the next three I bet she would have done close to 15s flat stock, but I wanted to get some more runs in before the end of the night.

Here is 2 runs of the SCT tune and one of the 5 star 89 tune. There was a few cars that messed up the track so it made my night short. I'll have some 5 star 93 tune runs and runs with in intake soon. :-) Note I think the +7 mph actually hurt the 5 star tune. I was missing my peak torque, so I dialed it back to +3 and she runs much better, but I wasn't able to get another run in.

Remember that all the runs were in 100 degree summer heat with the track only cooling down to about 95. A few runs in winter at 50 degrees will net much better results. :-)

Planning on a full exhaust next. I want low 13s or high 12s on race gas just for fun.
Have you posted this over at the F150 Forum in the "2011 Engines" section? There is a big thread over there about modding ECOS and track times/mods.

You got a pretty damn good drop in ET with the tuner.

I just got the Livernois 93 oct tune on my '11 FX4. It dynoed 336 rwhp with the tune. I will be running it at HRP the first weekend I get off. It went 15.26@91 mph with a 2.26 60' last July and thats on a 2.5" level and 33.2"X12.50x20" all terrain tires, completely stock. Now I figured out that if I leave in 4 Hi I can build 9-10 psi on the line.... In 2wd I can only get about 3 psi before it power brakes... I am hoping to be in the 14.30 range myself... Maybe not but I hope so.... Mine is real heavy, every available option and then big heavy wheels/tires etc..

Pretty amazing trucks for 218 cubic inches of 6 banger...

My next purchase will with be the heartthrob cat back I believe...
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not really sure about that. The EcoBoost can come with a bunch of different gears from the factory so maybe its the rotating mass that makes the gas mileage so much worse?

So having a 31" tire factory with 3.55 gears and swapping on a 33" tire would be like having a 3.31 gear factory with stock tires. There is no way those trucks are getting worse fuel economy.

As soon as my tires are fried I'll be getting 33's or 34's so I'll let you know how it goes. Right now I'm only averaging 14-15 mpg mixed driving.
Oh and I definitely lost 3 mpg with the 33x12.50x20" tires and level installed. I average 14 mpg city and 15-15.5 mpg highway. Thats with 3.73 gears. It's not about the decrease in gear, it's more about the increase in rolling resistance/weight and the accompanying increase in boost at cruise rpms. I added about 160lbs in weight from the wheel/tire swap. It was very noticeable..

If you want mpg, keep the stock pirellis..
Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Thats crazy how much difference the tune made. Hope you didnt like your warranty though lol. We just got a couple of 2013's in on our lot, very nice trucks. I wonder what it'd do with full exhaust, bigger i/c and a small turbo upgrade.
My company buys 30+ trucks a year from this particular dealer, I'm pretty sure they will honor the warranty for me. ;-) Plus I'll blow through the warranty in less then 2 years anyway I'm not worried about it.

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Oh and I definitely lost 3 mpg with the 33x12.50x20" tires and level installed. I average 14 mpg city and 15-15.5 mpg highway. Thats with 3.73 gears. It's not about the decrease in gear, it's more about the increase in rolling resistance/weight and the accompanying increase in boost at cruise rpms. I added about 160lbs in weight from the wheel/tire swap. It was very noticeable..

If you want mpg, keep the stock pirellis..
Damn, I'll probably keep the factory wheels but I wanted to put on some BFG 33's. I posted this over on the F150 forum as well.

My CAI should be in Wens then I'll probably have a cat-less 3" down pipes to a 3" x pipe to custom dual tune down exhaust made up. I don't want it loud, but I want it free flowing which will be tough.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

So, if the truck goes in for, lets say, a broken trim piece, do they really take the time to scan the computer to see if it's been modified?

They can really tell if it's been tampered with now, even if returned to stock tune prior to service?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM

The other guy pretty well covered it. FX4s only come in 3.73 or 4.10 which either will handle the bigger tires and they still drop 3mpg. I lost 3mpg in the truck in my sig going from stock 32" michelins to 33" mud terrains. The mud terrain tires are usually E load range tires, which are heavy and the tread pattern has a ton o rolling resistance. My wheel/tire combo weighs 100#s a corner

Sure does look good though and Ive never been one to keep my foot out of it anyway

Before I bought my truck I looked long and hard at buying a brand new truck but I just couldnt bring myself to drop 40k on a loaded FX4 like I wanted. Best looking and performing truck out there right now for sure.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is my '11.

Stock other then the livernois tune. 336 rwhp on heavy 33"s. I have 15k miles on it and I love it.. But the gas mileage is not that good.. I can live with it though..
Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM

What kind of mileage are you getting? Nice choice in rims
Old 07-24-2012, 04:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of mileage are you getting? Nice choice in rims
I average anywhere from 13.0-14.0 in City driving..(by city I mean all in town, stop light to stop light stuff). My Highway mileage is anywhere from 14.0-16.0..

My combined average for stop light city driving and a mix of Houston freeways is about 14.5.

This is all hand calculated and with a calibrated speedo that dead on matches my gps.

I drive pretty easy, normally run 70 mph on the highway and try to minimize my idling..accelerate with traffic. Pretty much baby it. = 14.5 mpg.

No bueno. But the wheels/tires definitely hit it for 2-3 mpg on average. The price I pay to look
Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

O/P, what intake did you buy?

I have an 11 CCSB 2wd with 18s and 3.55s. I have been thinking about going with bigger wheels/tires, but you guys have me second guessing. My last tank average was 18mpg and that included pulling the boat to the lake and back, idling at the launch, etc. I average 20 on my commute, probably 70% highway. Driving speed limit on open highway, its been as high as 23mpg. All hand calculated mileage, though the computer is pretty accurate.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S1LV3R
So, if the truck goes in for, lets say, a broken trim piece, do they really take the time to scan the computer to see if it's been modified?

They can really tell if it's been tampered with now, even if returned to stock tune prior to service?
The only time the tune will be an issue is if theres a mechanical failure and there appears to be something overtorqued or gummed up with carbon (rich conditions). If they ever notice the tune they will void the powertrain warranty. The rest of the warranty will be in tact. And even though you return the pcm back to factory tune the data history shows that its been tampered with. I think theres also a seal (decal) you have to break to plug the tuner in.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
The only time the tune will be an issue is if theres a mechanical failure and there appears to be something overtorqued or gummed up with carbon (rich conditions). If they ever notice the tune they will void the powertrain warranty. The rest of the warranty will be in tact. And even though you return the pcm back to factory tune the data history shows that its been tampered with. I think theres also a seal (decal) you have to break to plug the tuner in.
There is defiantly not a seal when you plug the tuner in. It is an OBDII tuner, just like HPTuners or anything else. While they can see how many times the computer has been flashed, they'd have to be real ****** to not honor the warranty for a simple tune being installed. Now if you have a tune installed for C16 and are running 25psi of boost instead of 10psi and the motor pops then maybe they'll look into it more. Its very easy to tell if a part failed or if the failure was caused by abuse.

I got an Airaid intake because they have a sale going on right now with $50 back. If you order it from AJusa its $220 shipped minus the $50 back its only $170.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey I agree its bullshit man but ANY edit to the factory tune voids the powertrain warranty. You can't even use a Ford Racing Diablosport on a Mustang without voiding the warranty.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 PM

There is defiantly not a seal when you plug the tuner in. It is an OBDII tuner, just like HPTuners or anything else. While they can see how many times the computer has been flashed, they'd have to be real ****** to not honor the warranty for a simple tune being installed. Now if you have a tune installed for C16 and are running 25psi of boost instead of 10psi and the motor pops then maybe they'll look into it more. Its very easy to tell if a part failed or if the failure was caused by abuse.

I got an Airaid intake because they have a sale going on right now with $50 back. If you order it from AJusa its $220 shipped minus the $50 back its only $170.
Youre living with your head in the sand if you think a dealer wont void your warranty for ANY kind of tune. They dont give a **** whether you adjusted for bigger tires or a full on race tune. All they see is the computer has been flashed by someone other than Ford. All manufacturers are doing this now.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Youre living with your head in the sand if you think a dealer wont void your warranty for ANY kind of tune. They dont give a **** whether you adjusted for bigger tires or a full on race tune. All they see is the computer has been flashed by someone other than Ford. All manufacturers are doing this now.
yep...Ford is really holding the dealers feet to the fire on warranty. The dealer doesn't want to eat the repair cost if they get caught pulling a fast one.

Quick Reply: Now Blown by twins