Question for all the homeowners..

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question for all the homeowners..

For all the homeowners,

Anybody regret settling for a 1 story or a 2 story and wish they would have went with the opposite? I am buying my 1st home. I really would like a 2 story house with the game room and all. But i am in the works of buying a brand new 1 story with 4 bedroom and 2 bath. The kitchen is really amazing.

So i guess i just wanted to here from other homeowners. Is 1 better than the other? Why did you guys go with a 1 story or 2 story? Is either better when it comes to selling later on?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say it really depends on how much space you "need". If you do not need the second story for anything like you are planning on having a few children then I would stick with a single story. Your utilities will be much higher with a two story than a one story and depending on your utility rates that can save you quite a bit of money.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know how it trends in your area.....
i am assuming 1 story,you mean ranch type home?
do they put basements in around you?

i think it is cheaper to build up in the air, instead of down in the ground around by us...

i over built & the tax's,insurance and gas & lights are killers.all of that together is like paying another mortgage.
i am getting charged for over 4100SQ FEET.....and only use half or less of it.

yeah,i wish i could have a redo.
i would definetly do it different.......

good luck!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Im shopping/saving for my first home, 6 month to a year out time frame and I will only buy a 1 story 2 car garage. Thats the strict minimum requirements. 1 story for utilities, easier to do maintenance(gutters, checking shingles and roofing, etc), dont have to worry about the dogs or future children on stairs. 2 car garage for obvious reasons we are on a car forum and want a spot for the gf to park inside as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
For all the homeowners,

Anybody regret settling for a 1 story or a 2 story and wish they would have went with the opposite? I am buying my 1st home. I really would like a 2 story house with the game room and all. But i am in the works of buying a brand new 1 story with 4 bedroom and 2 bath. The kitchen is really amazing.

So i guess i just wanted to here from other homeowners. Is 1 better than the other? Why did you guys go with a 1 story or 2 story? Is either better when it comes to selling later on?
If you like the 1 story, get it. You shouldnt make that type of commitment soley based on how many stories a house is. Im about 18mo from buying a home and have always loved spiral staircases, just looks cool, so I will be looking for a two story. I agree with the others about the bills and maintenance, will definitely be higher for a 2 story. If a one story gives you everything you want in a house, then go that route.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

The main purpose of a two story is bigger house using less property. I like one story houses. I would never build a 2 story.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Something to factor in: If there is a chance this is your "forever" home, think about whether you want to climb stairs when you're old. Where are the bedrooms in relation to the washer/dryer? Do you have (or plan to have) a baby? Will the baby's room be on the same floor as your master bedroom?

We have a one story (which will be for sale again next year), and we love it. It may not look as big from the street as some of our two story neighbors, but it's over 2700 square feet, has a three car garage, and plenty of space. There's never a feeling of "that's all the way upstairs", which is how I know a lot of people feel. Plus, not having two a/c units to manage, etc.

I prefer one story homes, but depending on where we move, we may end up having to go with a two story.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Single story all the way...I've had both now..I used to office out of my home and it never fails, what ever paperwork I needed was always on wrong floor..My electric bill is cheaper in single story also...On side note, try to get a 3 car garage...
Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Single story all the way.The only thing I regret is not getting the 3 car garage
Old 07-27-2012, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, you will kick yourself if you don't get a nice garage.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

I've got a 2 story and kinda wished it was a single story. I've got small kids that now negotiate a baby gate.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

I dont mind my 2 story one bit. However it does suck moving in.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Ours has the game room/ media area upstairs, other then that everything is on the bottom floor. You may look for a floor plan like that. I don't know why everyone says bills are higher? Our home is 3200 sq ft and the electric bill is cheaper here then our old 1200 sq ft home. With all the energy saving stuff available in homes, it's a lot more afforardble now.

Good luck with your search and congratulations!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IROCSS
Ours has the game room/ media area upstairs, other then that everything is on the bottom floor. You may look for a floor plan like that. I don't know why everyone says bills are higher? Our home is 3200 sq ft and the electric bill is cheaper here then our old 1200 sq ft home. With all the energy saving stuff available in homes, it's a lot more afforardble now.

Good luck with your search and congratulations!

same here. I got a 100$ a month light bill and my house is 2800 sq foot. 2 stories tend to allow for more yard and more garage options. I love my 4 car garage.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

It does all depend on the area too, in some area's utilities are more or less than others.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We got a 2 story with the Master down, Its nice to have a second story if you have kids, but it would be a pain going up and down the stairs if your room was up there.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mike171562
We got a 2 story with the Master down, Its nice to have a second story if you have kids, but it would be a pain going up and down the stairs if your room was up there.
+1

i bought my 1 story built in 06 and it was plenty of room for me. now my girl and her 3 kids moved in, a 2story would have been better. sounds like they are 20ft away from you when making noise, because they are. however, going to my friends 2 story, going up and down stairs gets old. and moving furniture in or anything bulky is a PITA, but thats on rare occasion.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Launching!

We have a two story and love it- if friends come over the kids can all go upstairs and destroy the play room while we drink beer downstairs.

Don't count on it being your 'forever' house- I think a lot of us thought our first house would be the only house.

**Big tip- make sure you have the capability to expand the garage. After our addition I don't have a friend that doesn't bitch about the location of their garage when they come over**
Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree that it depends on what you need. We could have gotten a larger house, but that means more area to clean, more furnishings to buy, and higher utilities.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The two story we have now has worked great the 12 years we have been here and that's the way we wanted it, too. Master is down and kids have their area upstairs: three bedrooms, bathroom and a huge game room.

IMO, a one story can work just as well as a two story, but some people prefer to have two stories. In the end I think it still comes down to how the space has been utilized.

Next house my wife and I will be buying/building will definitely be a one story, though. Then again, our kids will be gone by then. First daughter is heading to college in a few weeks and the other one is only two years behind, so next house will be coming in the next few years.