Projector for living room?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Projector for living room?

Closing on my house early sept and the living room wall is huge.. Trying to find out some info before spending the money on a projector vs LCD/led/plasma

Obviously the room has windows, kitchen connecting also has windows, followed by a back door/patio.

Who all has a projector for daily tv? Anything special needed for a room with plenty of sun light during the day?

Tried searching google/tv forums and guess I'm not searching hard enough.

Any help would be awesome!!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Here is a good write up on projectors
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Go 60" Samsung LED and be done with it.

My living room is huge and gets a lot of sun, especially in the morning. Around 11am-1:00 pm the sun splashes right on my screen. I used to have a 63" rear projecton TV and the glare was ridiculous.

I went out and purchased a Samsung 55" LED from Best Buy. It was an open Boxed" item (it looks brand new and paper thin).

Anyway, it solved my problem. Fills the room/wall and when the sun gets to it, the LED is so bright I cant see the sun hitting the screen AND I don't see a reflection. At least I am not distracted by the reflection like before, the glare is very subtle compared to my previous screen.

If your still interested in a Projection TV try looking here as well...

used Projection TVs

Last edited by Blackfly; 08-16-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Launching!

seems most people only like the projectors when they are in a media/game room with no windows. they are nice then.
i'd go with a huge DLP or LED like mentioned above. you'll be able to find a DLP in a larger size if youre trying to fill up a wall. but it will be a good bit thicker than a LED.
check out slickdeals.net , forums -> hot deals, then look for some tv post. there are some smoking deals on there and tons of people that are up to date on all the models and know if they are legit or not ( i dont have time to keep up with all the diff tv models and how they differ from another ).
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Teching In

i have a projector ill sale you for $100 plus shipping, been in the back of my closet for years
Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

I would only put a projector in a media room. I just can't imagine the quality of a projector in a lighted room being good. I've never seen anyone use one as a daily. I have a 55inch and 46inch LED Insignia (super cheap for the value IMO). I have about $1900 into both, have had them for almost 2 yrs with no issues/complaints.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you check out how loud it can get. Buddy had one and once the internal fan kicked on it got annoyingly loud.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Spend some time at www dot projectorcentral dot com. I have a projector we use as a daily. Plenty of windows so light management is important, probably most important aspect. Next, get the brightest unit you can afford. Third, makes sure you have the layout of your room planned as not all projectors will be ideal in all set ups. Finally, if you leave your TV on all the time, a "TV" will last longer. Projectors need their bulbs changed every Xthousand hours. It goes quicker than you think, especially if you use your projector for PC or gaming...which is awesome. Dollar for dollar, projector awesomeness destroys a regular flatscreen (and is cheaper) but it takes a lot more work on the details.