anyone wanna make a few dollars lifting C6 body off frame.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone wanna make a few dollars lifting C6 body off frame.

As title states, need someone with a lift to lift my body off chassis so I can repair firewall. Pm or call me, thanks. (713)-447-9116
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this may seem like a really stupid question, but does the C6 even have a frame, at least in the conventional terms that we think of where it's a separate unit that can be definitively parted from the rest of the car?

I thought the entire structure of the Y-body chassis was that it was all an intergral unit that was tied together. Theoretically, you do have a separate "frame" that could be driven without the body panels present, but it basically all ties together to form a solid unit. The closest you can get to a frame is the twin hydroformed rails that runs length wise across the floor pan but otherwise the floor boards tie into that, wherein the rest of the structure ties into that which allow for the body panels to tie into that which all forms the structure of the car.

Is a separation of that even possible without compromising the entire vehicle?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
I know this may seem like a really stupid question, but does the C6 even have a frame, at least in the conventional terms that we think of where it's a separate unit that can be definitively parted from the rest of the car?

I thought the entire structure of the Y-body chassis was that it was all an intergral unit that was tied together. Theoretically, you do have a separate "frame" that could be driven without the body panels present, but it basically all ties together to form a solid unit. The closest you can get to a frame is the twin hydroformed rails that runs length wise across the floor pan but otherwise the floor boards tie into that, wherein the rest of the structure ties into that which allow for the body panels to tie into that which all forms the structure of the car.

Is a separation of that even possible without compromising the entire vehicle?

Very good question, the body actually seperate from the chassis/running gear. Its weird and yes it can pretty much run W/o the body lol.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

lol Is this for real? You mean drop the motor so you can work on firewall right?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope he is correct. You can pull the body off the chassis.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

oooooor like jm said pull the motor and you can find your firewall. its the wall behind...the motor
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 04Vguy
oooooor like jm said pull the motor and you can find your firewall. its the wall behind...the motor
werd
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Launching!

I believe i know where the firewall is guys???? Its just 10x easier to lift body off chassis. Nearly everyone (shop) who works on vette's suggested this. Obviously if it were that simple i might have figured that out.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

It is that simple I work on vettes everyday. I've put more holes in the firewalls then I can count running wires and lines and god knows what but as nature has it I've also fixed holes in the firewall after these cars return to stock as well. All you need to do is drop the cradle and motor out of the bottom big guy. It is that simple. Or don't listen and pay someone to lift the body off lol. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Launching!

It is that simple I work on vettes everyday. I've put more holes in the firewalls then I can count running wires and lines and god knows what but as nature has it I've also fixed holes in the firewall after these cars return to stock as well. All you need to do is drop the cradle and motor out of the bottom big guy. It is that simple. Or don't listen and pay someone to lift the body off lol. Good luck.
Ok, i wasn't aware of that. So pretty much same as the f body (drop front k member) ? Bc in that case yes i am able to handle it. Big thanks on the heads up.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Same thing only easier
Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Same thing only easier

Awesome! Big thanks, im gonna go for it this weekend

Quick Reply: anyone wanna make a few dollars lifting C6 body off frame.