I'm interested in moving to Texas. Need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can find jobs with great pay in any city mentioned, but if you like the car scene, no better place to move than where the fastest cars are at, Dallas and Houston

Now, on to weather. You are from a state that gets cold, here in Texas, the further south you go, the hotter and the more humid it gets. Dallas gets some nice cold weather during the winter and maybe about 2 days of snow/ice, other than that, it gets hot. There are tons of lakes to go and cool off or party at and racing weather almost yr round. Traffic sucks!

Houston, TAFFIC FUCKEN SUCKS!!!! Racing weather almost yr round, winters are no where near as cold as Dallas. The plus of Houston over Dallas, to some people, is that Houston is really close to the ocean, spring break and ocean (need I say more) and tx2k takes place there. Oh, get use to humidity when you come to Texas, especially if you move to Houston... You will hate Houston the most for this. Nothing worst than taking a shower feeling all nice and clean with your smell good cologne and then stepping outside to start sweating for no ******* reason.. lmao

Last edited by jgarza54; 03-06-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved from Boston to Dallas. One of the best job markets in the nation here, as well as one of the best housing markets as well. you can be just outside Dallas and find acre-plus size lots.

No crazy gun laws here, almost no cops (as compared to police state massachusetts), car friendly environment. property taxes and sales taxes are high, but there is no state income tax and houses are super cheap compared to new england.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
I moved from Boston to Dallas. One of the best job markets in the nation here, as well as one of the best housing markets as well. you can be just outside Dallas and find acre-plus size lots.

No crazy gun laws here, almost no cops (as compared to police state massachusetts), car friendly environment. property taxes and sales taxes are high, but there is no state income tax and houses are super cheap compared to new england.
yep...its ridiculous how much house you can get for your dollar. I would say Austin is probably going to have the highest cost of living, we got an additional 1000 sqft in NW harris county for roughly the same money spent on our home in ATX.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Thats fine by me because I love the hot weather. Much better than the cold *** winters in NH.
I hear you man my mind has been made up for a while to get the hell out of NE. Its not only the weather. Its the stupid politics in these states.
Texas and Florida is what I would be looking into if I did not have 2 kids from a prior relationship. If you dont have any ties/ball and chains...I have to ask you WTF are you still doing here? LOL
Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any place with Rick Perry as governor is the last place I would wanna be.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BODUKE
Any place with Rick Perry as governor is the last place I would wanna be.
The good politics in Texas far outweigh the few bad things of Rick Perry. Sure, he did some really messed up things but you have to admit, hes MUCH more constitutionally sound than the majority of representatives in the whole country. I know of a few things hes done for me to be able to label him as a POS but saying you wouldnt move to the state with the best free market ecconomy because of one governor is something I dont understand.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu

Good to know! Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I hear you man my mind has been made up for a while to get the hell out of NE. Its not only the weather. Its the stupid politics in these states.
Texas and Florida is what I would be looking into if I did not have 2 kids from a prior relationship. If you dont have any ties/ball and chains...I have to ask you WTF are you still doing here? LOL
My entire family is here, that is the only downfall. I'm planning on moving in the near future for sure though.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i lived in texas for the first 25 years of my life. At the end of 2011 i moved to florida to be with my fiance. I hasnt been terrible here but its def different. needless to say my fiance and i are moving back to Texas to the dallas area! Cant wait to be back home!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

My vote is for Austin, I moved here a year ago and love it, I came from CT where the car scene is complete doo doo so the "lame" ATX scene as some call it is pretty badass to me. Dallas winters are too damn cold and they actually get snow which is super rare in Austin. Summers are blazing hot but that's to be expected, definitely not a humid hell like Houston is, that's for sure!

Originally Posted by RedC5Z
I just make once/twice a month trip down to come see buddies and have a little fun in "Mexico" to get my fill, then come back to atx where no one cares...
You obviously don't know where to go! It only took me 2 months to find out how to get to Mexico when I moved here...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

I was born and raised in the DFW area, but have lived in Austin for 15 years now. Austin sucks on the car scene but everything else is great, except the summer heat. The last few summers all the local lakes have been to low for boating and they put water resrictions on watering your grass. Traffic is really bad in Austin and housing cost are more expensive here.

I would recommend somewhere in the DFW area, great car scene, lots of great tracks. Depending where you get a job is going depend on where you live cause traffic isnt that great either. I would recommend the Arlington area, very central to all the DFW area. You can still get some land out in the Mansfield / Kennadale area for a pretty good price.

Quick Reply: I'm interested in moving to Texas. Need some input.