I'm interested in moving to Texas. Need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm interested in moving to Texas. Need some input.

I'm thinking of moving to Texas from New Hampshire. What parts of Texas should I look into? I'd be looking for a career in the IT / Server Administration / Programming field.

Don't really want to live in the city though. I'd like to have at least a few acres if I could.

How do you all like Texas compared to other parts of the US? Any recommendations or input is helpful.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

id move just outside of austin , its big in the tech industry , girls are super hot
lakes nearby , tubing , great party scene , thirdhonk is a good group to run with for car meets
Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dallas (north Texas) area! It's a great central slot for anything fun
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Austin or North Dallas are probably the most likely to fit what you are looking for.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea Dallas is a great tech town right behind Austin. Compared to other states...Texas is just awesome. No crazy gun laws, vehicle registration is cheap each year, and if you travel any people are actually impressed when you say your from Texas. I was born in Kansas and I dont even mention that unless asked lol. But one drawback is if you suffer alot of allergies, we have lots of pollen.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
Austin or North Dallas are probably the most likely to fit what you are looking for.
Yup !
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Austin = party town
Dallas = where Austin goes to when they grow up
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Grew up in Houston, lived in Dallas and am currently in Austin. If you like to do stuff outside, Austin is your best bet. I was lucky enough to realize a 15 year goal... to move to Austin. Best in Texas I tell ya. Tech jobs a plenty around here too. Hell, my company is looking for people too.

http://www.datafoundry.com/about-us/careers/open-jobs/
Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dallas or Austin... Austin is a bit unique though so I'd maybe visit before making a move to either.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Move to Laredo!!!

hahaha jk man, stay away from there.

I'd say austin, dallas, houston or sa. Depends on what you like to do on your off time. A friend here in sa is working IT for a hospital and making like 80K.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Austin, Houston and Dallas...You really should be able to find a good IT position in any of the 3. I lived in ATX for 9 years, worked at Dell. Now I am an IT mgmr for the procurement division of a foreign oil company. I still miss the hell out of ATX and if I could find a something that was close to the same pay, then I'd move back. If you end up in H-town, look at NW Houston, West out towards Katy, or in the South around Sugarland and Pearland.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

I live in Dallas, been to Houston, Austin, and obviously Ft Worth.

Dallas is WAY better than all of them IMO. Car scene is out of control. Job market is great. Always something to do, tons of different scenes and cultures. Lots to see. Getting out to the country is a 30 minute drive from downtown.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Don't really want to live in the city though. I'd like to have at least a few acres if I could.
If your looking to live in a rural area and work in Dallas better be ready to put some miles on your DD.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Teching In

If the car scene means anything to you then don't bother with Austin. It's generally very dead. Everything else is great tho. Plenty to do in the summer months. Plenty of girls and hang outs with awesome live shows like sxsw, acl, and the cota track. Bunch of natural swimming holes like barton springs, hamillton pool. Lot of places to take you dog (off leash even). Central to Houston/SA/Dallas. Great roads to ride a motorcycle on/drive spirited. Plus I've never made more $$ in my line of work.

I lived in houston my whole life till about 3 years ago. Seems like the ghetto-ness is not here like in Houston. The only reason I would go back to Houston is for the car scene. I just make once/twice a month trip down to come see buddies and have a little fun in "Mexico" to get my fill, then come back to atx where no one cares...
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Radar gun behind every blade of grass here, watch your speed!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Houston/Woodlands or Kingwood. up north a little to cleveland/splendora theres plenty of land. Lots of car clubs and jobs. oh FYI Its Hot down here all the time. Winter is almost non existent. Bring All your guns
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Houston has Oil/Gas co's from Refineries to corporate offices, Construction co's, huge Medical Center, Education facilities, lots of small, medium and large businesses. If you have a degree and experience you are going to get a job here. Land is cheap, bring your guns and cars.

Austin is 2.5 hours away, Dallas is 4 hours away, San Antonio is 4 hours away. Galveston is 1 hour away. 2 airports, hourly flights to New Orleans, cheap real estate. Enough single women here to keep you in trouble or good pockets to raise a family in great schools.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

i'm going to look into each location mentioned. They all sound great but i'm really liking the sound of Dallas. I think i'll make a trip and visit each location. Sounds like it will be fairly easy to find a job and settle in.

Never been to a TX2K event either so that will be a ton of fun. Thanks for all the information guys. I'm excited!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RJDio
Houston has Oil/Gas co's from Refineries to corporate offices, Construction co's, huge Medical Center, Education facilities, lots of small, medium and large businesses. If you have a degree and experience you are going to get a job here. Land is cheap, bring your guns and cars.

Austin is 2.5 hours away, Dallas is 4 hours away, San Antonio is 4 hours away. Galveston is 1 hour away. 2 airports, hourly flights to New Orleans, cheap real estate. Enough single women here to keep you in trouble or good pockets to raise a family in great schools.
Thats fine by me because I love the hot weather. Much better than the cold *** winters in NH.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Thats fine by me because I love the hot weather. Much better than the cold *** winters in NH.
Yea man the Hot weather freakin rules! Put a electric water pump on that bad bird and it will dig it out here.

I Moved 'back' here after living 18 years in communist CA. I can now drive a car with sick exhaust, pay no state income tax and this state is cash rich creating more jobs than the entire states combined. Good luck!

Quick Reply: I'm interested in moving to Texas. Need some input.