Looking to buy my first AR-15. Advice needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Stay away from poly lowers.

Other than that, for recreation, you can't really go wrong with any manufacturer.

If I were storming into a house full of armed bad guys or crawling around in a sand box half-way around the world ... where my life depended on it day after day after day ... then DD, LaRue, Colt, Armalite can easily be justified.

But a CMMG, Olympic, Rock River, DPMS will serve you well at defending you from a paper target.

I have a pair of DPMSs ... one chambered in 5.56 and the other in 308.

The 556 has EOTech 512 and magnifier optics, Magpul stock and AR Gold trigger. Great for plinking and 3-gun.
The 308 is fixed with an ACOG, Magpul PRS stock and an AR Gold trigger. Filled the freezer with venison and pork this season.

Spend your money on making the gun work for you.

I have a CMMG and I trust it to save my life. Not sure why you would say otherwise. CMMG is American made.

Buy the CMMG asap if you can get it for 900$.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derrickman05
They are like the small block Chevy of guns. You can find any part for them from many different companies (or you could at one time). Buy you a cheap one and mod the hell out of it. Just like when you started with cars, find a forum to get ideas on what's out there and go to a local range and meet other fanatics.
exactly.

CMMG vs Daniels is like saying f-body vs corvette. sure the corvette performs better out of the box, but the f-body is just fine for most people that dont have a corvette wallet. and of course you can make an f-body perform at corvette levels for less than the price difference.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
But a CMMG, Olympic, Rock River, DPMS will serve you well at defending you from a paper target.

I have a pair of DPMSs ... one chambered in 5.56 and the other in 308.

Originally Posted by Thehulk
I have a CMMG and I trust it to save my life. Not sure why you would say otherwise. CMMG is American made.

Buy the CMMG asap if you can get it for 900$.

Everyone has a threshold, I guess. If my life depended on it, I'd want the aboslute best.

That doesn't say that the lesser expensive versions are not capable weapons. Like I said, I own a pair of DPMSs, a CMMG, a pre-ban Bushmaster and Smith M&P15. All fine shooters.

Lemme put it another way ...

A Toyota Tundra towed the space shuttle and did an admirable job. But I don't think I would attempt to tow it from Canaveral the LA. But that's just me ... of course some Tundra owner's jimmys are wadded now

Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 PM
8 Second Club

Anderson manufacturing makes a really nice ar
It has a special coating that makes it completely oil free. Its so much easier to clean and maintain and itll eat any round you put in it.
Usually shoot 68 grain pmc nato rounds and they cycle flawless. Its seen cheap *** steel case and you could hardly tell a difference. Its had over 5000 rounds through it without a single ftf. I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a sub 1500 dollar ar
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The other issue is finding reasonably priced ammo. What you can easily find is from asses trying to flip cheap ammo to get $0.65-1.00/round.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
The other issue is finding reasonably priced ammo. What you can easily find is from asses trying to flip cheap ammo to get $0.65-1.00/round.
this.... doesnt matter which one you buy (I wouldnt buy any AR right now due to gouging) but you cant find ammo for the thing.... paper weight until the hype goes away
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm building one myself. So far I have the psa lower, lbk, and barreled upper. I still need a bolt carrier group.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

build it, I will be meeting a guy in Mesquite today to discuss building one for him

some of my builds

Old 04-11-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait until parts can be had for cheap, then build your own. For an entry-level AR, it's a good learning experience and WAY cheaper to build your own. You'll wind up with EXACTLY what you want instead of swapping parts later, as well.

As far as DPMS being questionable- I have a LRT-SASS that I've put over 2000 rounds through, not a single malfunction or FTF, and I can bang plates out at 800 yards all day... Take what you want from that.

I can't say anything about the poly lowers, though... I've never played with one.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait until parts can be had for cheap, then build your own. For an entry-level AR, it's a good learning experience and WAY cheaper to build your own. You'll wind up with EXACTLY what you want instead of swapping parts later, as well.

As far as DPMS being questionable- I have a LRT-SASS that I've put over 2000 rounds through, not a single malfunction or FTF, and I can bang plates out at 800 yards all day... Take what you want from that.

I can't say anything about the poly lowers, though... I've never played with one.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a polymer, I don't mind it. Lightweight, does the job. I had a take down pin pull straight out, NFA sent me out another one no questions asked along with a spring and detent.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Cabelas in Ft Worth had PMC Bronze .223 rounds about an hour ago for 9.99 a box. Limited you to 5 boxes. I got 5 and my brother got 5. Was gone within 30 minutes. This is the second time I have lucked into finding ammo there. They will not tell you they are going to receive it.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roninsonic
Wait until parts can be had for cheap, then build your own.
+1, I sold my DPMS and when prices come back down I will be able to build a Mega Billet for less than I sold my DPMS.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
+1, I sold my DPMS and when prices come back down I will be able to build a Mega Billet for less than I sold my DPMS.
It's a sad day when a DPMS sells for that much.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you'd be surprised... I got offered 3000 for my SASS without an optic about two weeks after everything went to ****
Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you'd be surprised... I got offered 3000 for my SASS without an optic about two weeks after everything went to ****
That's about what I got offered for my huldra, the DPMS oracles are selling for like 13-1400 right now. It's ridiculous.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whatsa347
That's about what I got offered for my huldra, the DPMS oracles are selling for like 13-1400 right now. It's ridiculous.
Which Huldra do you have? More importantly, how's it shoot?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Colt 6920 and be done.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs down

Which Huldra do you have? More importantly, how's it shoot?
Mark 4, midlength. Love it, haven't met anyone at the range who didn't as well, for the money they rule, but I'd love to have the sig 516. Whenever this BS price gouge is over I plan on building a new huldra with their 5.45x39 upper.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:39 AM

I personally like patriot ordinance factory for an off the shelf ar-15. I own 2 of their rifles. Piston operated and reliable as all get out. No oil needed. Comes with a good trigger. 3.5 lb pull I think. But it's always more fun to build ur own. I bought a lower from a company called SWAT in Campbell Texas. Started my 300 blackout build with that and a wilson barrel. Then went with another pof trigger cause i like them. Rails and grips are personal preference. I really just wanted to own an ar that was at least partly made in Texas and really don't see the value in a larue. Point is u got to decide which u want. Your ar15 made how u want with the parts u want. Or a mass produced rifle that is what someone else thinks u want.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first AR-15. Advice needed?