Looking to buy my first AR-15. Advice needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first AR-15. Advice needed?

So like the title says, I'm looking to buy my first AR. I know next to nothing about them, my expertise is in hand guns. I found a CMMG for $900 but I have a few friends who are AR buffs, and they say get a Daniel Defense. I looked on a few sites, and found a DDV1 for $1750, DDV5 for $1200, and a DDV7 for $1300. All were NIB.

What would you guys recommend, and why? I don't even mind buying used, as long as it's in good condition.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Really kind of depends on what you want it for...if you want it to shoot competitively, for home defense, for fun plinking at the range...

All AR's are generally made to such tight specs these days that your really can't go wrong with any of them. There are colt fanboys and such that will tell you this and that, but the truth is, unless you are shooting competition, you don't need a $1000 rifle. You want to avoid mismatched uppers/lowers that someone has pieced together (only because you won't know what to look for), but generally Bushmaster, Colt, CMMG, RRA, etc. will all fit the bill for what you sound like you want to do. There are going to be the occasional lemon's in any product (just like with cars), but they are fairly rare today given the tight tolerances that these are manufactured to.

I spent 23 years in the service shooting everything under the sun, and the last 10 years shooting/hunting for sport. I've owned CMMG, Colt, RRA, Bushmaster and Doublestar rifles and never had a problem with any of them. My current CMMG eats everything I put in it, and is as accurate as I need it to be.

Once you get the rifle, you could find yourself spending even more money on optics, lights, lasers, etc...again depending on what you want to do with it. The accessories could end up costing you far more than the rifle itself if you get carried away.

The great thing about the ar platform is it is so flexible. Remember also, in this political climate that ammo is going to cost more. Magazines are rapidly becoming an issue as well...hopefully it will all die down here soon, but that does not mean that turd politicians won't be trying to take it all away in the future.

Bottom line is, figure out what you want it for, then purchase the needed accessories. Don't waste a lot of money on stuff you don't need.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

texasguntrader.com has a few on it, and its local. check it out. Click on Houston tab
Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sig 516
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel76
Really kind of depends on what you want it for...if you want it to shoot competitively, for home defense, for fun plinking at the range...

All AR's are generally made to such tight specs these days that your really can't go wrong with any of them. There are colt fanboys and such that will tell you this and that, but the truth is, unless you are shooting competition, you don't need a $1000 rifle. You want to avoid mismatched uppers/lowers that someone has pieced together (only because you won't know what to look for), but generally Bushmaster, Colt, CMMG, RRA, etc. will all fit the bill for what you sound like you want to do. There are going to be the occasional lemon's in any product (just like with cars), but they are fairly rare today given the tight tolerances that these are manufactured to.

I spent 23 years in the service shooting everything under the sun, and the last 10 years shooting/hunting for sport. I've owned CMMG, Colt, RRA, Bushmaster and Doublestar rifles and never had a problem with any of them. My current CMMG eats everything I put in it, and is as accurate as I need it to be.

Once you get the rifle, you could find yourself spending even more money on optics, lights, lasers, etc...again depending on what you want to do with it. The accessories could end up costing you far more than the rifle itself if you get carried away.

The great thing about the ar platform is it is so flexible. Remember also, in this political climate that ammo is going to cost more. Magazines are rapidly becoming an issue as well...hopefully it will all die down here soon, but that does not mean that turd politicians won't be trying to take it all away in the future.

Bottom line is, figure out what you want it for, then purchase the needed accessories. Don't waste a lot of money on stuff you don't need.
QFT, I built mine in November and purchased a bunch of windowed pmags and a bunch of lancers for 10 bucks a piece now they're 40. I haven't been shooting in god knows how long because I can only buy one box of ammo per day. Find yourself a nice optic and BUIS and call it a day.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can actually get the cmmg for $900, thats not a bad a deal. IF you can find a DD, they're fine rifles. The question is, do you need an operator grade weapon or is this for plinking?

Since the current push for a ban has been dropped, and if you want to buy a built one then my advice would be to wait if you want something besides that cmmg. The manufacturers will catch up and the people that bought then to turn a profit or the people who panic bought will decide they don't really need an AR now.

Building one is my preferred route, but its hard to find parts and they're too $$$ right now when you do.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm actually in the same boat at the OP. I've got a neighbor down the street that has a Olympic AR for sale, but I've never heard of them before, and am hesitant to drop $1200 on it because of that. Anyone heard anything good/bad about this manufacturer? I'm not impressed by their website, and this rifle is right handed. Being a leftie, I feel like waiting to find/build one for my comfort would be better. Ultimately, looking for a good weapon for having fun with and add to the gun safe.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Don't take too long to decide they sell fast.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

They are like the small block Chevy of guns. You can find any part for them from many different companies (or you could at one time). Buy you a cheap one and mod the hell out of it. Just like when you started with cars, find a forum to get ideas on what's out there and go to a local range and meet other fanatics.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Teching In

OP check out Palmetto State Armory. I got a nicely optioned site ready AR with Magpul backup sights and an 11 inch rail system for $864. I spent months looking and kept coming back to them so that's where I bought. It took a while for delivery because they build your gun to order but I'd rather save several hundred than have it right now.

HoustonSS don't worry about buying a left handed AR. I am left handed and have shoot right handed rifles my whole life. It's not really worth it to limit yourself to just a handful of manufacturers.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

i have wanted one as well. you cant go wrong with the larger companies like ruger, stag, colt. I have heard real good things about BCMs. i have giving up looking since the stupid ban thing. I will wait some time for the market to catch up to the demand. Try going to local gunshows. I have found thats better because you can haggle with the seller and see the weapon first hand.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stag makes a nice left handed AR
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Atwell Tactical, LaRue Tactical, Spikes Tactical, Windham Weaponry (Ex-Owner of Bushmaster)
Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

wait for a republican president, that's my advice...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't bring it to school for show and tell?

Ok I admit that was pretty classless but I had to
Old 04-02-2013, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You absolutely cant go wrong with Daniel Defense. I would jump on one of them in a heartbeat. Up here in Maryland, you would have to pay 2500-3k for a daniel defense if you were lucky enough to find any AR for sale.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get the CMMG for $900 do that now.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If I buy another off the shelf DI AR it will be a Daniel Defense. Honestly, I'd much rather build my own (Mega monolithic if I can find one). But here is all the information you need to know about what makes one brand better than another:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Trajen1, I'd probably end up with a right handed weapon anyway, since I wouldn't be able to keep it out of my wife's hands once I got it. Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay away from poly lowers.

Other than that, for recreation, you can't really go wrong with any manufacturer.

If I were storming into a house full of armed bad guys or crawling around in a sand box half-way around the world ... where my life depended on it day after day after day ... then DD, LaRue, Colt, Armalite can easily be justified.

But a CMMG, Olympic, Rock River, DPMS will serve you well at defending you from a paper target.

I have a pair of DPMSs ... one chambered in 5.56 and the other in 308.

The 556 has EOTech 512 and magnifier optics, Magpul stock and AR Gold trigger. Great for plinking and 3-gun.
The 308 is fixed with an ACOG, Magpul PRS stock and an AR Gold trigger. Filled the freezer with venison and pork this season.

Spend your money on making the gun work for you.

Last edited by mitchntx; 04-03-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first AR-15. Advice needed?