Market on F-bodys these days

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Market on F-bodys these days

What is up with it? I see a lot of nice F-Bodys that are easy 15k cars that are priced down near 11k & pretty sure could buy at 10k. There is a 6spd 408 Pewter car out of LA & he has it up for over 6 months. Not just F-bodys either. I noticed its most of the Sports Car market IE Mustangs & F-Bodys & other sports cars just are not selling even being priced super low. Are people really that broke these days?

I will say we where going over our cable Bill & we pay $126 a month for 4 boxes & just your standard cable package & we are really thinking about dropping cable cause its nothing but Re runs of TV shows I have seen 20 times plus. I think the cost of living in America today is really having a lot to do with the market. Its tough to save when your spending $200+ at the grocery store & spending $100 a week on fuel along with paying insurance & and Cell Phones & Cable & Electric & buy Groceries, Not counting Mortgage payment & Car Payments if you have a car payment. All our cars are paid off. But we are thinking about just getting a landline & paying for pay as you go phone and just using the text feature that is free on Pay as you go phones. We pay $180 a month for our 2 cell phones & combine that with Cable & your paying $300+ a month for two things in life that are not a must have. Hell that's almost $4000 savings a year. You can almost buy a decent F-Body in todays market at $6500 by just going to pay as I go phone & dropping the cable.

But my main point of this thread is why are good priced cars not selling these days
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Economy sucks, over 15 million people on Food Stamps in this country, highest it has ever been including the great depression. But we give out free cell phones, free housing, free food, kill unborn babies, give amnesty to over 11 million illegal aliens, plus Obamacare for individuals is said to raise over 35% for people paying for their own healthcare. Gas prices are a ******* joke and the ******* are forcing their agenda up our ***.

Obama says to trash that gas guzzling Chevy and buy an import that gets better gas mileage. That will solve everything. Look at Europe and the econo cars they have, gas is over $6 a gallon but their cars get great gas mileage. They look like a garbage can on wheels but who cares.

Deport the illegals, no more aid to foreign countries, stop importing oil, stop sending jobs over seas, buy more guns & ammo, make your own whiskey (shine) go to church and pray that God will revive this country to its prior self.

Otherwise, learn Chinese or buy a bunker and hide.

Chad
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Amen!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Ok I'm going to try to shed some light on op's question. Keep in mind this is only my opinion based upon my findings and personal exp with sport cars overall. This is going to suck to say (flame suit is on) but the
Days of the F body's are pretty much history. With the 5th gen out and very popular and in great demand as well as 5.0's (2011+), and C6's and G8gt's there are way too many other choices that are a little more modern for a few more dollars (depending on miles, age, and what it is) that is more desirable.
When the 5th gen came out our F body's resale value took a turn south. I'm not saying they are bad cars but let's be honest with ourselves. They have been out since 1993 and with the $'s coming down on them comes the "clowns" that puts the crazy color paint jobs, horrid aftermarket taillights, huge rims etc thus making them that much less desirable.
With the exception of the Z06, look at the C5 corvette. Same story as the F body (resale wise). Yes if you are wanting a nice clean F bod 8-9500 will get you a gem, realistic prices for a 98-02 clean title 100k+ m6 car is 4500-6k and about a grand less for A4. More ppl are going to pay a little more and get a gto 05/06 or g8gt or even a C6.
I buy and sell sport cars as a side hobby and pay pretty close attention to the market. This sucks to say as a hard core die hard gm fanatic but I can sell a newer Subaru sti or evolution much quicker and for A much larger profit than something domestic in its age/price range. This is not my personal choice but what the average consumer is wanting.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats happening with the 4th gens is pretty much what happened with the 3rd gens, they get cheap and every Joe Dirt in town rags them out, then they get cheaper and cheaper. History repeating itself....doesn't help the economy is in the ******* either.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wait another 5 years and they will bounce back. Right now the market has no middle ground. You can barely find an un molested car with under 100k miles. The cars selling for 4500 are ragged out one bad owner away from the junk yard

once the junkers hit the parts bin the value will bounce back based on the availability
Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Selling crap in general is just down rite now, trust me I sell a lot of **** lol.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike96z
Selling crap in general is just down rite now, trust me I sell a lot of **** lol.
I have 3 dif sets of rims posted up with 315s out back with tires all the way around at $950 each set & no bites.

I have a ton of foxbody 5.0 parts from Crane 1.7 Rockers to H-Pipe with Flows & a couple different sets of stock rims & tires posted at $200 to $450 depending on set & I am not even getting that many low ball texts like I normally do. People are Broke and have no money. Scary thing is that it makes me wonder is this a sign of our econmey taking a down turn? I just cant remember people not buying like this in a long time
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well... Even the newest F-body is close to 11 years old already, so no wonder the prices are in the tank. Most 4th Gen enthusiasts already have one or two and some even more and not a lot of newbies getting interested in them.

Buyer's market for F-bodies, for sure. It just seems, though, that not all sellers have noticed that...
Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm seeing the exact opposite over here.. Everything is 2-4K$ over price. Things were WAY cheaper 2-3 years ago. Prices have rose in the South/East area.

Every once in a while you will see a normal/cheap car pop up but they go FAST. I got my 408 car on a SMOKING deal but it wasn't the norm.

Bolt on cars people are asking 8Kish... Cam only-H/C they are asking 10-12K depending on miles.. Lower mileage (70 or less) people are asking 10K+... I've seen some bolt on/cam only cars with 7X miles and people are calling me an idiot because I offer several thousand under their 14K price tag.

It is a joke between me and a couple of our buddies. Some of the prices are absolutely unreal.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Launching!

I agree they are at the same point 3rd gens were a few years ago- nothing but mullet jokes.

But now- look at the price of a clean 3rd gen- $8,9,10k for nice examples. More than some LS1's out there.

87-93 5.0's were the same thing. I bought a decent 87 Saleen for $2k a four years ago- now that car is probably worth 9-10.

It's just a cycle. Not that people don't have $$; people that love the 4th gens don't have money. A lot of us are raising kids, buying a house and/or got set back by the economy.

It will come back- once this age group gets established, makes more $$ and misses that car they used to love.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I truly believe that the fourth gen is only a few years away from starting to go up and up and up. I think they are one of very few cars produced in recent history that has the ability to truly become " a classic".
Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
Economy sucks, over 15 million people on Food Stamps in this country, highest it has ever been including the great depression. But we give out free cell phones, free housing, free food, kill unborn babies, give amnesty to over 11 million illegal aliens, plus Obamacare for individuals is said to raise over 35% for people paying for their own healthcare. Gas prices are a ******* joke and the ******* are forcing their agenda up our ***.

Obama says to trash that gas guzzling Chevy and buy an import that gets better gas mileage. That will solve everything. Look at Europe and the econo cars they have, gas is over $6 a gallon but their cars get great gas mileage. They look like a garbage can on wheels but who cares.

Deport the illegals, no more aid to foreign countries, stop importing oil, stop sending jobs over seas, buy more guns & ammo, make your own whiskey (shine) go to church and pray that God will revive this country to its prior self.

Otherwise, learn Chinese or buy a bunker and hide.

Chad

Oh hell yeah and that's the way it is

I only notice guys on here selling their cars for way too low. Go look at book values.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

10 years ago I built my SS Monte I had always wanted growing up. Did it nice and clean like slick black paint zq8 wheels LT1 and a 4L60. I got so tired of the Bs from smart *** friends and and the stigma Monte's developed by cruising the ghettos I took the first solid offer I got on it. Made me so sad to see it leave.

Sucks but I'm seeing the same thing happen to our beloved camaros and t/a's slowly as the years tick by.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
10 years ago I built my SS Monte I had always wanted growing up. Did it nice and clean like slick black paint zq8 wheels LT1 and a 4L60. I got so tired of the Bs from smart *** friends and and the stigma Monte's developed by cruising the ghettos I took the first solid offer I got on it. Made me so sad to see it leave.

Sucks but I'm seeing the same thing happen to our beloved camaros and t/a's slowly as the years tick by.

Exactly, and its heartbreaking too. When I sold my last f-body I figured it was my last (upgraded to 05 gto) bc of the ragged out duct taped ghetto cruisers with big *** hideous wheels, flea market speakers beating out, and maaco bright loud awful colors (some two-tone). I guess we can't leave out the lambo doors and euro taillights neither. But this is what happens when prices come down, Hell its happening to the C5's too.

I do believe they might bounce back but it won't be soon and as chryslerkid mentioned it will be after the turds are gone. The clean unmolested survivors (true slp ss and WS6) cars will bring good money true but its a waiting game. Let's repost this in 8 years from now and laugh at the 5th gens with 138k miles going for $6-7500. All cars lose value over time, very few gain value which we all know.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:18 AM
Launching!

Y'all hit it on the spot. I was at the cars and parts swap meet this spring and saw three Monte Carlo SS 's in the 15-18k with plenty of interest. Now- they were were very clean with year one 17's and LT/L98 motors but these were cars that couldn't pull 5k a few years ago.

I think it is safe to say that only the clean 4th gens will be worth anything. 2nd gens are hitting their stride now and you are seeing project cars in the 2-5k range and nice versions in the 14-25k range. It's going to take time but I agree it will happen
Old 07-11-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I can see how an 11 year old f-body will drop in price... you just dont see many cars under 100k miles on them. even if they are well taken care of, that takes a hit to the value.

However, I really have not seen that big of a drop in G8's. I was really interested in getting a G8 as a DD... but the price on them is still kinda high, and since they only made them for 2 years, I'm kinda concerned about what the availability for body/interior parts will be once the car is 10+ years old
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've sold 3 F-bodies in the last 4 months.

1994 Z28 traded for a 2004 dodge ram and got $1000 cash- was worth $4500 and I just got lucky and found a guy that had to have it.
2000 SS M6-leather-98K Miles $9500
2002 SS M6-leather-59K Miles Cam Headers- super clean- $12.5K

Hard to find any F-body under 70K miles for under $10K
Old 07-11-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I couldnt find a buyer for mine for what i was comfortable letting it go for. So im just gonna keep it
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Age. They arent gettting cheaper just because.... they are getting cheaper because they are old and miles are racking up. If you look at near perfect low mileage ones you are going to pay. I spent 6 months last year looking all over the country for the right car. I wanted on 01-02 M6 Ws6, black on black. I wanted it with low miles and in damn good condition. When I found the right one I paid for it - about 17K. Got a low interest loan too with no money down, they didnt bat an eye at the price. Thats what they are worth if they are in good shape. And I agreer with other posters about them going back up. They will, especially as nice ones get harder and harder to find, just like 5.0's. I bought a really nice 5.0 in 2000 for 6K. That same car today would be 10K without question. As long as people want them, prices will stay high, and these are still desirable cars. Of course not to everyone, but still to plenty of us. The first time I saw one of these dark vader bat mobile looking things on the street so many years ago when they were new I wanted one. Just took me 15 years to be in the right position to buy one. And I didnt want anything else.

OP - DITCH CABLE!!! We got a couple of Roku boxes, signed up for netflox again, hulu and amazon prime. Much cheaper. Its been about 4 months and I couldnt be happier. TV IS BETTER WHEN YOU DONT HAVE COMMERCIALS BEING CRAMMED DOWN YOUR FNG THROAT!!! no more channel surfing, no more watching **** you dont want cuz its easier, no more paying for every single movie channel and never being able to find a decent movie. Pull the trigger, you will have zero regrets.

BTW - modded cars are worth less, thats always going to be the case. A lot of people dot want something thats been messed with. The nice, stock cars are always the expensive ones. Some want to keep them stock, or some people are like me and want to ruin it themselves!

Quick Reply: Market on F-bodys these days