New owner in The Woodlands

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner in The Woodlands

Well, i'm obviously new.. my name is Storey and I bought my 1st ws6 back in June and I love it! Don't know anyone around the area with a firebird/trans Am etc, people are surprised to see a girl driving it as well, haha.

My 98' Saturn with 260,000+ miles finally gave out on me and after driving a 4 cylinder 5 speed and just got through selling my 09' ninja 250 I was ready for my dream car which was some type of firebird. Dated a guy with one way back in the day and always loved them after driving his.

Found it on craigslist from a guy in clear lake, one owner, lowish miles (62,XXX) the car felt great, had a mechanic take a look at it couldn't find anything wrong, I thought it was a great deal ( I however paid probably about $2500 over what it was worth) I kick myself for it but you live and you learn.

Well after owning it for 3 months I finally was able to fix my clutch pedal that I found was sticking to the floor board about a month after getting it. Found this forum trying to figure out what was wrong and took it to a shop off of Rayford a few days ago thinking it was the slave cylinder... finding out I needed to replace the master as well and they found that the clutch was about to go out ....the guy before me destroyed it, it looked horrible he rode the crap out of it. $1500 later I walked out with a stage 1 clutch, fly wheel and new slave and master cylinder. Feels great! has a 3 year warranty on it.

Had the windows tinted feels so nice now.
Finding how to's on here I was able to replace the window motors with the window fix kit, took me about a week, but I was determined to do it myself, works great! The headlight motors are out as well, need to do that... dreading it... as well as the motor to my antenna. Also had to replace the trunk latch which was an easy fix, but all of these things just started popping up after I bought it.

Im ready to start upgrading things on it, it only has one exhaust, guess they came stock like that in 98? Don't know what I want, whats good, sounds good etc so if you have any tips throw them at me! Wanting to get some new wheels for it, and get the interior re-done tired of my *** sticking to the leather. Want it black on the inside with a hint of pink by having the thread pink. Have to have pink somewhere without it looking ridiculous!

Anyone on here in The Woodlands?

Before getting Tinted,

After

Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah these cars come with a Y pipe setup stock or (one exhaust/single exhaust)
I have a Corsa Catback on mine and it sounds pretty good with no cats, It sounds great with a cam but It sounds good with just bolt ons like headers.

Nice car, looks just like mine when I first got it!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply!

Does replacing the exhaust require welding? Will I have to find a shop that can do this? If so do you have any recommendations?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Storey
Thanks for the reply!

Does replacing the exhaust require welding? Will I have to find a shop that can do this? If so do you have any recommendations?
It really depends on which kind you go with, Most if not all Catbacks require no welding and are 100% bolt in. Most guys get them welded anyway to avoid exhaust leaks. I'm not too familiar with the woodlands area but Rage motorsports in baytown TX did my setup which consists of a 3" Y pipe with a flowmaster merge, 4" cutout, and it necks back down to 3" for my Corsa Catback

Back of the car with Corsa tips, these are 3" tips i believe. Im gonna be getting bigger ones eventually but they look nice compared to regular old "truck" echo tips

BTW, I'm jealous of your cars interior. I wish mine was black lol. I have tan carpet and seats
Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Im about to get it re-done too! I love it it looks good, but I really like the soft leather. Id keep the car original if I was planing on selling it, but its my car to keep and drive and I want it how I want it! lol

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for parts and instal?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Storey
Im about to get it re-done too! I love it it looks good, but I really like the soft leather. Id keep the car original if I was planing on selling it, but its my car to keep and drive and I want it how I want it! lol

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for parts and instal?
To be honest, The Corsa catback came on this car from the previous owner but the Y pipe setup with the cutout in the pictures was 350 to install.. I spent about 70 bucks on the flow master merge and cutout. The merge did away with a lot of the rasp that the car had with the horrible pace setter Y pipe it had before
Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The single exhaust came that way from the factory. Actually that exhaust is pretty rare so it might actually be worth some money if you decide to sell it when you upgrade.

The headlights on my old Trans Am also made the dreadful sound when they were on their way out. Make sure you get brass gears as the stock ones are cheap plastic, hence the sound. Installing them isn't too difficult, took about an hour and a half.

I'm from Magnolia (where my Camaro sits) which is close enough to The Woodlands but am currently deployed and won't be back until late this year. The search function will be your best resource here though people on the boards are always quick to help. Welcome!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome Storey,

Im in creekside. You come fix my windows and I will fix your headlights. Headlight really are not that hard.

I know one other TA in the woodlands. Hes orange and pretty sure he drives his. Mine is siting in the garage tell it cools off so i can look into an oil leak and fix my AC. I have a 4 post lift and am always open to helping out.

I went with borla exhaust becuse i think it has a deeper sound. Corsa to me is raspy but its all personal.

Gregg
Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome! I live down rayford by the chase bank/Kroger, there is ripleys muffler ship at the corner of rayford and 45 across street from autozone.

Honestly some long tube headers, off road y pipe, magna flow catback. Check out Texas speed performance, they have nice long tube/y pipe priced just right!

First mod should be a slp lid (intake) to clean up the engine bay/slight up increase.

Anyways welcome to the site! Bunch of good info here!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 08-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greggvh
Welcome Storey,

Im in creekside. You come fix my windows and I will fix your headlights. Headlight really are not that hard.

I know one other TA in the woodlands. Hes orange and pretty sure he drives his. Mine is siting in the garage tell it cools off so i can look into an oil leak and fix my AC. I have a 4 post lift and am always open to helping out.

I went with borla exhaust becuse i think it has a deeper sound. Corsa to me is raspy but its all personal.

Gregg
I'll help you with those window motors if you help me do my TSP headers/y-pipe when I get back. I'll bring the beer and the pizza!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice ride... hope to see you around. Bring it to Market Street behind The Woodlands mall on the 1st Sunday of each month. Nice little street meet there.

Also 510 Race Engineering is not far in Tomball. They can fix you up.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

You name thw time newchevyman! As long as its not 100 out. I dont handle the heat thinking of getting ac for te garage
Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

I've seen the car going down rayford. Very nice ride I always see you with the windows down lol. I have a red 00 firebird with huge front mount and 335 rear tires kinda hard to miss lol
Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't bother with the brass gears just go with new ones from auto zone with a warranty. There is also a thread on how to rotate the gear inside the headlight motor so you don't have to replace it or take the headlights out. Worked on my trans am most likely your head light gears just need to be rotated without replacing them yet
Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Teching In

I forgot to come back and check my thread! haha

Thanks for all the feed back! Ive seen your red bird wild1100! I believe I saw it off 242 or rayford cant remember and and my car stalled out on both roads because the pedal would stuck to the floor board..... glad thats over... haha.

I actually have my car over at Chaotic Customs (our friend's brother is Mike who does all the customization/lives there) having some work done to the outside and getting a new sound system put in as well as getting the interior done. They are going to shop around for a magna flow exhaust as I am *really* new to that and don't know what to go for. Been reading as much as a can and still scratching my head it feels like. Im a very visual person so I almost need to see this stuff in person.

Ill have to come by on one of those Sundays! Of course after I get all the kinks worked out with my car. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by Storey; 08-13-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to the forum and nice ride! I live in Spring. Maybe 5 minutes from the woodlands. Don't think i've seen your car before but i'm always in that area driving my silver bird.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Awesome choice! I previously had an arctic white WS6. While I love white, these cars were just meant to be bad *** black!

I'll never forget these commercials:

If you are considering exhaust, I'd look up Mad Hammer (formerly GMMG). They are pricey (~$600) but sound killer and look amazing. Add some 4" dual "Corsa Clone" tips off of eBay as a cherry on top.

Not mine, but a great example of Mad Hammer/GMMG exhaust:
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
KT2
Teching In

sounds good

Quick Reply: New owner in The Woodlands