Front plate law

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:
(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that:
(1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.
(c) This section does not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.
(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(1) if the defendant:
(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

Added by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1296, Sec. 221, eff. January 1, 2012.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...4.htm#504.0011 Bottom of the page

Sucks!

Edit* I just noticed this does not reflect the 2013 update. I'm going to see if I can find them...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:47 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Highway patrol told me a couple days ago that from what he has heard(still pending his update class) that there is surely no more plate in the window BS and foremost front and rear mandatory.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

A trooper friend of mine told me that there must be both plates, as does the DPS.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ny daughter's plate ticket got dismissed.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So is this front plate law being enforced?? My wife told me recently that I'll have to bite the bullet and mount plates on the front of both Camaros when we get to TX next year. I have been dreading this. Was watching some videos (posted from 2014+) on YT recently w/4th gens out of TX and noticed guys still displaying their front plates in the window...So what's the deal? From this thread I've seen where this issue gets brought up for review every other year but never goes anywhere
Old 04-27-2017, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
So is this front plate law being enforced?? My wife told me recently that I'll have to bite the bullet and mount plates on the front of both Camaros when we get to TX next year. I have been dreading this. Was watching some videos (posted from 2014+) on YT recently w/4th gens out of TX and noticed guys still displaying their front plates in the window...So what's the deal? From this thread I've seen where this issue gets brought up for review every other year but never goes anywhere
Enforcement really matters on location, where are y'all moving?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moving from Goose Creek? I lived in Summerville while I was working for Boeing. Loved the area, absolutely gorgeous!

Texas is hot as hell in the summer and cold as **** in the Winter, why the hell do you want to move here? Taxes are high, housing is ridiculous, hail storms ruin anything left outside and what doesn't get pummeled in the hail gets blown away by a Tornado!

But, we have Whataburger, we don't need anything else!!

Chad
Old 04-27-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
....Texas is hot as hell in the summer and cold as **** in the Winter, why the hell do you want to move here? Taxes are high, housing is ridiculous, hail storms ruin anything left outside and what doesn't get pummeled in the hail gets blown away by a Tornado!....
This, too, is entirely dependent on location. Parts of Texas are expensive, some aren't. Parts of Texas are more prone to crazy weather and fluctuating temps. It's a big state. My sister lives in Grapevine and it's retardedly expensive, for what she paid for their house you could have purchased two where I live. Same goes for weather, there always seems to be something crazy going on up there. Hail, thunderstorms with flooding, and ice during the winter. Just a few hours down the interstate and we don't get but maybe a quarter of all that. It's only cold for like six weeks and then it's back to the 60's and 70's for a while. Summertime is hot, but that's just part of living in the south.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Moving from Goose Creek? I lived in Summerville while I was working for Boeing. Loved the area, absolutely gorgeous!

Texas is hot as hell in the summer and cold as **** in the Winter, why the hell do you want to move here? Taxes are high, housing is ridiculous, hail storms ruin anything left outside and what doesn't get pummeled in the hail gets blown away by a Tornado!

But, we have Whataburger, we don't need anything else!!

Chad
Not sure where you live but that doesn't sound anything like the Texas I live in? Sure it's hot in the summer but it was in the mid 60s all winter. Thunder storms? Ya we get one every couple weeks or so.
I havnt seen hail here in years.
Taxes, part of life get over it.
Tornados? Have only had one in the last 20+ years in my area.
Maybe you belong in cali or something, maybe San Fran is your place.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

TechCam, we'll be moving to the NW Houston area or maybe a little west (Katy) as I will be going to S.A.M.

SS4Chad, yeah I Love the area and all (my better half is looking forward to moving lol). Summerville is nice, I like the older sections and houses myself.

We're both coincidentally from upstate NY, but I HATE the cold. I freeze easily so Anywhere South is fine w/me. I'll take heat & humidity over snow, ice & salt eating my vehicles any day!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Never been pulled over for it in all 3 cities I have lived in. Never even pulled over. Havent lived in Houston but it is the car capital of Texas. Ton of fast cars and nice shops.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

I've gotten 6 warnings for no front plate over the years, and most of those stops were initiated because of a lack of front plate. I have never gotten a ticket, though.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Born and raised in Texas, grew up on Lake Texoma. Left in '89 and chased airplanes all over the country, lived in 13 states, been in 39 of them. Live in Fort Worth (Keller) now with my wife and our Daughters.

I'm from here so I have the right to bitch. I lived in California for about 12 years, best weather in the world but a land of Fruit Loops, I wouldn't raise my Daughters out there.

I don't have front plates and haven't been asked about them as of yet, I guess if I get hounded by the man about it I will put them on the truck and the wifes car, they will go in the window of the Camaro, won't be drillin holes and mounting them on her!

My Sisters house in Rowlett got hit the Christmas before last by a Tornado, we replaced our roof after hail 4 years ago and just missed the hail storm last month. If I wanted to move I would but like I said, Whatburger keeps me Grounded.

Plus, Pantera started in Texas!! Nuf said

Chad
Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

And ZZ Top!
Old 04-28-2017, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Born and raised in Texas, grew up on Lake Texoma. Left in '89 and chased airplanes all over the country, lived in 13 states, been in 39 of them. Live in Fort Worth (Keller) now with my wife and our Daughters.

I'm from here so I have the right to bitch. I lived in California for about 12 years, best weather in the world but a land of Fruit Loops, I wouldn't raise my Daughters out there.

I don't have front plates and haven't been asked about them as of yet, I guess if I get hounded by the man about it I will put them on the truck and the wifes car, they will go in the window of the Camaro, won't be drillin holes and mounting them on her!

My Sisters house in Rowlett got hit the Christmas before last by a Tornado, we replaced our roof after hail 4 years ago and just missed the hail storm last month. If I wanted to move I would but like I said, Whatburger keeps me Grounded.

Plus, Pantera started in Texas!! Nuf said

Chad
In case you weren't aware, the Texas Supreme Court upheld an arrest for drugs stemming from a traffic stop for no front plate where the plate was mounted in the windshield. So windshield mounting really doesn't buy you much of anything.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mojave
In case you weren't aware, the Texas Supreme Court upheld an arrest for drugs stemming from a traffic stop for no front plate where the plate was mounted in the windshield. So windshield mounting really doesn't buy you much of anything.
Thanks for the above info Mojave. All the input is much appreciated, I'm just DREADING putting holes in the bumper cover of either of the cars...a front plate (to me) makes as much sense as the guy getting pulled over at night for a license plate bulb out cause if the police car was safe and compliant then that means His headlights are working which means he should have no problem see the cars plate in front of him, not to mention if they are shining on the license plate how exactly would the police officer know or decipher if the little 168/194 bulb was out at all? guess it's like everything else in life, just follow the money
Old 04-28-2017, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have received a few no front plate tickets in the last ten plus years, as well as my fair share of warnings. Some of my cars didn't have plates, some did. Really just depended on the car whether it got a plate or not.

Seems like it was always the state troopers that messed with me for tint and no front plate. But it just boils down to the cop, whether he wants to mess with you or not.

My truck has a front plate while my camaro doesn't
Old 04-28-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My grill is cut out for the intercooler but if they start hounding me about my plate I'll consider making a bracket to mount the plate between the fog light and the grill opening.

The bracket would be off of the bumper to where it isn't drilled in or against the bumper.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

http://www.hidetheplates.com/

https://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Hole-Li...-Kit-s/336.htm

I went with the first one because of the Intercooler. Holes are underneath on the horizontal. No front plate and burned out license plate lights are mostly a tool for probable cause to pull you over hence the warnings if you aren't a dick to them.

I run on the idea of minimizing my interaction with The Fuzz and conform regardless.

Your other cars may have the tow hook spot. Cleanest option I have found when applicable.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
My grill is cut out for the intercooler but if they start hounding me about my plate I'll consider making a bracket to mount the plate between the fog light and the grill opening.

The bracket would be off of the bumper to where it isn't drilled in or against the bumper.
What are you driving now

Quick Reply: Front plate law