TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
What are you driving now
Houston stock 4th gen
Old 04-29-2017, 06:42 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Lol, I don't run a front plate on my cars. I'll just pay a ticket if I get one. Never do though.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojave
In case you weren't aware, the Texas Supreme Court upheld an arrest for drugs stemming from a traffic stop for no front plate where the plate was mounted in the windshield. So windshield mounting really doesn't buy you much of anything.
In case you weren't aware, I don't carry or use drugs, so this quote is irrelevant. Did I post somewhere that I'm a crack addict? Hmm, I don't believe I did.

However, if I decide someday to jab a needle in my arm full of meth or worse then I hope I am shot so my family will get the life insurance money.

Now, somebody post up about life insurance money not being given to families of drug addicts.

Back to the front license plate issue, I don't have one mounted on any vehicle I own, so far so good. Best to keep that hash pipe at home!

Chad
Old 05-02-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
In case you weren't aware, I don't carry or use drugs, so this quote is irrelevant. Did I post somewhere that I'm a crack addict? Hmm, I don't believe I did.

However, if I decide someday to jab a needle in my arm full of meth or worse then I hope I am shot so my family will get the life insurance money.

Now, somebody post up about life insurance money not being given to families of drug addicts.

Back to the front license plate issue, I don't have one mounted on any vehicle I own, so far so good. Best to keep that hash pipe at home!

Chad
My point wasn't about the drugs, rather that the Texas Supreme Court ruled that a license plate in the windshield doesn't satisfy the requirement of a front plate.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad

Chad
No one said you were a drug addict. You posted that you put your plate in your windshield. The way that the law was previously written (visible from the front, affixed to the rear) that placement was technically a loophole and was usually accepted by LEOs across the state. A few years ago there was a high profile drug case that came out of Houston that stemmed from the stopping of a car with a front plate affixed to the windshield and not to the front of the car on the bumper. The defense lawyer tried to bring the loophole up to get the drug dealing client off (since if it wasn't lawful to pull them over then everything that stemmed from that point forward should be thrown out as illegal), but it didn't work. Supposedly the state then closed that loophole by amending the wording and making it to where the plate has to be affixed to the front and rear. Hence why Mojave gave you a heads up. That loophole no longer exists and you can now get a ticket or harassed by cops for no front plate even if it is displayed in the windshield.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I had the ***** to not put front plates on the Camaros but I know me and I probably give in at some point
Old 05-02-2017, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
I wish I had the ***** to not put front plates on the Camaros but I know me and I probably give in at some point
For what it's worth, I drove my old Trans Am around for years with no front plate and my office was literally next to the county jail. No one ever said anything. Same with my old 99 Z28. Heck, we have a sheriff's deputy in our car club and he never said anything either. Run 'em with no front plates for a while and see what happens. If you get pulled over, be respectful and say you just moved from out of state and are unfamiliar with the law and didn't know you had to run both. They will usually give you a warning and let you on your way.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
Bro, it's a front license plate. Relax.....
You're not going to get shot in the face. Hopefully...

Be a rebel and live a little.

Last edited by 383z; 05-03-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol, yeah I know it's not a capitol offense I just don't wanna get to Houston and kick things off w/something so dumb as a license plate ticket lol
Old 05-02-2017, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Lol, I don't run a front plate on my cars. I'll just pay a ticket if I get one. Never do though.
This^^^^ Same here. No issues
Old 05-02-2017, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Its a "freebie" for the cops. Oregon requires the front plate and will "tag" you for it...
Worst thing is they can at the cops description impound the car which never ends well in my experience..

I don't want to give them too easy of time pulling me over.. But all my rigs the front plate is fine so I don't really care much...
Old 05-03-2017, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Haven't had a front plate on my DD for over 3 years now. No issues.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never had a front plate in any of my F-bodies over the 10+ years I used to have them and got stopped only twice (warning both times). After F-bodies, never ran a plate for many years on any of my trucks and been stopped only twice (during the same day on my way to Houston and back) and just got warnings.

Didn't have a plate on my daughters 05 MB, either, until she got stopped for speeding and got a warning for the plate.

Guess my rebel years are now over since I've put that thing on on every car and truck I have...
Old 05-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't had a front plate on any vehicle I've had for the last 12 years. I've had one ticket, and 3 warnings. I'll continue to take my chances.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Depends on where you are. I've received 2 warnings for it. I had one of those hideaway license plate holders, you could try that if you don't want holes on the front bumper. I was a cheap *** and did the manual one for $40 bucks.

https://jet.com/product/detail/78dc12639bf44b94bdb50b332aeb27b4?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_d ur_Gen_Automotive_Parts_Accessories_a2:Automotive_ Parts_Accessories_Automotive_Exterior_Accessories_ License_Plate_Covers_Frames_a2:naLA_785913093_44 722399407_pla-293385865383:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int &c=785913093&is_retargeting=true
Old 05-13-2017, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

I never ran a front plates on my F-Bodies. That's not to say you won't be stopped for it as it really depends on the cop, his mood, how busy he is, etc. Then it's a coin toss what he does about it, warning vs fix-it ticket.

One of my F-Bodies was cammed with long tubes, no cats w/duals dumped at the axle (illegal,) and had 5% tint all around (also illegal.) Late one night I ended stopped next to a cop on a back street and he didn't mess with me. My car was loud as hell and you could smell that it didn't have any cats. You couldn't see in the car at all due to the tint. He didn't seem to mind though and let me go on about my business.

I've only received one fix-it ticket regarding my plate and that was on my truck. It wasn't why I stopped though. It was a State Trooper to boot who are notorious for being by-the-book.

That said, I won't be running a front plate on my next toy as I see it as very low risk. The worst that can happen is you get inconvenienced by taking time out of your day to go down to the court house and pay a small fee after you prove you have a front plate on the vehicle.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

In the 17 years driving my Trans Am, I've only gotten a ticket once for no front plate. But, I was stopped for speeding downtown in an obvious speedtrap/get everybody situation. Guy wasn't gonna listen at all.

My buddy has a yellow '07 Z06 and we were driving on 45 by Almeda Mall, rolling with traffic about 70ish. Pass by an undercover cop on the left and he pulls out and gets us. Speeding and no front plate. Guy was a dick and wouldn't discuss at all.

So, for the most part, cops don't give **** about no front plate, but you will get some Boy Scouts that are new or some hardasses that will write you. My one experience was take a picture of the car with the plate on, go to court and get it dismissed. Go home and plate then came back off!

Quick Reply: Front plate law