Got rear ended and the guy ran

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

WOW!!! Nosey book is so good at showing just how stupid some people really are. I know if you interview with a small company, when you leave they facebook you. If you look like a dumb *** your application gets used for TP. Good luck OP some people's kids.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you demand that the police dept file a hit and run report? Sucks you have to go through this

J
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I work for x ins co as a claims adjuster. The best thing to hope for is you purchased uninsured property damage coverage from ur ins carrier. If so, pay your $250 deduc and call it a night.

Provide the license plate # to your ins carrier and let them deal with it for u. If the lp# matches the vehicle description, your ins carrier should run an insurance carrier report to see if this vehicle is insured. If it is, they will open a claim against his insurance policy and subrogate for your damages. If the address is correct, try to take day time pictures safely to provide to your ins adjuster. Make sure to get license plate # in the pic.

I deal with this bs every day!! Suxs for this who have liability only for sure. If you don't have uninsured coverage, just pay for $1k deduc and call it a night. Let your ins carrier do all the bs for you!!

GL
Old 08-24-2013, 01:31 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, lets not forget, if the person can be identified, ern if they are a broke turd, a civil suit is a nightmare.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just go over to the house, find the vehicle that hit you and call the cops from there. Don't go up to the door, but just tell them you found the vehicle that hit you. That will force them to do something about it.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FRC
Just go over to the house, find the vehicle that hit you and call the cops from there. Don't go up to the door, but just tell them you found the vehicle that hit you. That will force them to do something about it.
He may have different results. I did this within an hour of my wife's car being hit and run. HPD would do nothing. They said they would not even go knock on the door or do anything. They told me to never go back over there and just file with my insurance.

I would still try, but don't get your hopes up.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Those cops do follow up, at least they called me in for it once. I was accused of a Hit & Run in Houston about 15 years ago and the Police interrogated me pretty good. Long story short as possible, While in Acres Home I started going on a green light when some guy in a borrowed car ran a red light on my left cutting in front of me while turning into the same direction so as soon as he cleared my path I punched it to pass him on his left, but he punched it also and cut hard left into my lane again to block me. I held out to the last but he wasn't giving up and I was going to jump the inside curb so I braked hard. It was really, really close looking. He stopped in front of me and gets out, he's a disheveled middle age black man in a wife beater and looks like your stereotypical thug. He starts looking the the rear quarter of his car and me, I didn't see any damage at all so I cursed at him, flipped him off, and passed quickly on the right as soon as a gap in traffic allowed. He jumps in his car and follows me a few blocks till I had open road and showed him what a mid-12 second car can do in light traffic against a Chrysler LHS. When I got home I found some of his paint on a sharp protruding corner of my previously damaged fender that had been sticking out. I laughed hard and long because I felt he deserved it and my junk was no worse than before. I had already obtained a salvage fender and door in the same year, make, model, and color but had not found the time to put them on yet. Within a few days I received a call from an insurance company (I can't remember mine or hers now), some woman not involved at all is claiming I ran a red light and side swiped her car trying to avoid another car while she sat at the same intersection the real guy had last followed me to. I deny the whole made up story as IT WAS total made up BS. Within a week or so I receive some sort of notice from HPD to appear with my car at HPD's division next door to the court house down town. It was like a few days notice to appear so me and one of my car buds spent the afternoon installing the good fender and door etc. We were really careful and afterwards it looked like nothing had ever happened to even the most thorough adjuster. So I take the car and a lawyer with me to the interrogation, and the cop made comments alluding to bringing a lawyer was an action of a guilty man. We go through the whole made up story from the "poor and obviously distressed crying woman" to which I continually deny all knowledge of BS story while not mentioning the real events as that's not what I'm asked about. I have to explain how she could have got my plates and my description. I explain how I went through there every day in my commute, and say she could have just picked me because I'm an aggressive driver and obviously not a local (a young white guy in a flashy car in Acres Home). After getting all my statements on record he takes us out the car, parked in front, while he looks it over, the whole car inch by inch, taking pictures and asking me about every scratch and ding. There was one small horizontal scratch on the top center of the front bumper cover that he was really worried about (how that could match a scratch on her rear quarter I don't know) and at the time I couldn't recall how it had got there (bumped a tool box handle, came to me about an hour later) but I told him I did remember being very upset about it because it was a stupid mistake, that was the truth. He took this as a lie and at this point became very hostile. After that he toiled a bit longer then told us I was free to go but that he would still be investigating and I was subject to be charged and arrested if he determined I was lying. I never did lie about it, I only withheld the truth and the truth was never asked of me. He never assumed that she might have been lying and asked me what happened. He took pictures of me also for her to pick out of a photo ID line up. One good thing about a beard is that you can shave it off anytime and look completely different. So she couldn't ID my pic without one evidently as she had never actually saw me in the first place. That was the end of it.

If I were you I would let the insurance and cops handle it. If you must I would just try to get pictures of the damage before It's painted over or buffed out, fixed what ever. Don't go onto private property because he can then just blow you away and walk. Follow the SUV in a different vehicle to the store, her work, or something. Probably like in my case the jerk made up some story to tell the woman who owns the car and she's oblivious, so she wouldn't be looking for a tail. Even then it's a lot of risk's just for smashed junk. But if you don't have coverage, you got to do what you've got to do. Record it and take an armed witness just in case.

Good luck,
Vernon

Last edited by Manic Mechanic; 08-24-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

I will never forget when this happened to my SS.Dude backs into my car and completely cracks the door skin and the alarm goes off.He then decides to run.Like his 4 cyl was gonna out run my car.So I give chase all while on the phone with the cops who tell me to get the license plate and back off.Well after him running multiple lights and nearly killing several people I decided it best to listen to the law.Well after weeks of the cops not doing ****.A detective pretty much came to my house and told me it was pretty much his word against mine which he agreed was bullshit and as he was leaving somehow he "accidently" dropped the guys address on my lawn while leaving. Long story short.Lets just say the repairs got paid for.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My back and neck would've been hurt bad to where I couldn't move after that accident.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Man
Got rear ended and the guy ran
I've always thought male prostitution would be a hard line of work.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OP, have you drove by his house yet to see if he was dumb enough to keep it in the driveway?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're asking for more trouble that he's worth if you do go looking for him. Just file it with your insurance and let the cops do your thing. It's a shitty situation, but there's nothing you can possibly do other than that to make things better. If anything, take it as a sign that you need a lower deductible.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

go to his house, he damaged your hard earned property , he needs to know you know where he lives
Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spartan7
You're asking for more trouble that he's worth if you do go looking for him. Just file it with your insurance and let the cops do your thing. It's a shitty situation, but there's nothing you can possibly do other than that to make things better. If anything, take it as a sign that you need a lower deductible.
Because the cops cared so much they couldn't even do what some have provided in this thread. Anyone who is the victim of a hit and run needs to stay in the car and wait for the ambulance. It's the only way they will go after the person right away.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
cops are to busy hiding under overpasses handing out expired inspection tickets rather than following up on hit and run FELONIES.
hit and run is only a felony if there is serious bodily injury or death (3rd degree)
if the damage is >$200 it is a class B misdemeanor

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.550.htm

and if it is a hit and run, the officer will complete a CR-3 form and an offense report.

Good luck getting it resolved, OP!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No Xterra at residence.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just make it easy on yourself... Pay whatever deduc and provide license plate to your insurance. Tell them what I said in my prior post. Let them deal with it! If there is a hit on insurance for that vehicle, your carrier will open a claim and investigate! Screw the police, they would've helped u on the spot!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
Just make it easy on yourself... Pay whatever deduc and provide license plate to your insurance. Tell them what I said in my prior post. Let them deal with it! If there is a hit on insurance for that vehicle, your carrier will open a claim and investigate! Screw the police, they would've helped u on the spot!
This is the best advice given yet. If you let the insurance co. know the license plate and all the info. Given here, they'll file suit for the money it took to repair. Insurance companies won't let this go easily.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

why didn't you chase that bastard?... it sounds like your car is perfecy driveable and if he hit you from behind then he had to come around you to pass and I don't see any way he could have outran a c6z in an xterra... if that happened to me I would have done everything in my power to make sure they stopped voluntarily or got caught by the cops
Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427zm
This is the best advice given yet. If you let the insurance co. know the license plate and all the info. Given here, they'll file suit for the money it took to repair. Insurance companies won't let this go easily.
Will his insurance get his deductible back? Yes, the insurance will get paid back and lose nothing. If you have the time take that bastard to small claims. If he doesn't pay they can and will suspend this ****** license until he pays you.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended and the guy ran