Texas state inspection for modified whip

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Texas state inspection for modified whip

Its getting close to putting this car on the road. My back-ordered shocks will be arriving in November and the biggest hurdles of the build (namely the IRS install and structural fabrication) will be complete by the end of today.

(Just for reference, this is my car build https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-irs-swap.html )

This will be a road going car, and being that this is a pre-97, non-obdII vehicle, it means that I have a lot of leeway in inspection restrictions and am not required to have a OBD check. (this is good). We also are not required to have "under hood" inspections as well (double good). This makes the job of getting this car inspected and road legal fairly obtainable.

Still, there are some details that I need to know if someone here can fill me in.

Question 1: The exhaust will be routed to dump from beneath the running board before the tire on the passenger side. Do the exhaust pipes have to protrude from under the vehicle for a viable inspection?

Question 2: This vehicle has been totalled on 3 separate occasions. (two wrecks, one flooding w/ air-bag discharge on second collision). This car has a detachable steering wheel without an airbag. If the vehicle has been in a collision and the airbags have ignited, can you still pass a safety inspection if a vehicle has no airbags? (note, the car still has factory seat belts along with safety harnesses)

Question 3: The last time that I had an inspection, the gas tank cap was tested for leaks. Do they currently test tanks as well? (If no, Im good. If yes, then its time for some engineering)
Old 10-08-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't know about texas but in ny no airbags in a car that should have em is an automatic fail
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the county you live in. Just find the sketchiest shop you can find and bring a bunch of cash, shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

What county are you in? That would help out a lot with giving you answers.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TechCam97
What county are you in? That would help out a lot with giving you answers.
Montgomery county I believe. I live in Katy texas in the Houston metroplex.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Driver_10
Montgomery county I believe. I live in Katy texas in the Houston metroplex.
You mean Fort Bend County....

Montgomery County is like the Conroe/Magnolia areas
Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, you'll definitely have smog / emissions testing down there. I did inspections in a non-emissions county, but I believe I can still help you out a bit.

Question 1: The exhaust will be routed to dump from beneath the running board before the tire on the passenger side. Do the exhaust pipes have to protrude from under the vehicle for a viable inspection?
The exhaust does need to exit from under the vehicle (technically it must exit from the cabin area, which in our case is basically the entire car) in order to pass the inspection. I know a lot of people that did true dual exhaust that stopped at the rear axle and were fitted with either three bolt flanges or band clamp fittings and ran extension pipes to make it run out the rear for inspections.

Question 2: This vehicle has been totalled on 3 separate occasions. (two wrecks, one flooding w/ air-bag discharge on second collision). This car has a detachable steering wheel without an airbag. If the vehicle has been in a collision and the airbags have ignited, can you still pass a safety inspection if a vehicle has no airbags? (note, the car still has factory seat belts along with safety harnesses)
That was never an inspection item when I performed vehicle inspections, and from my cursory glance through updated legislation I still do not see that it has been added. You should be fine.

Question 3: The last time that I had an inspection, the gas tank cap was tested for leaks. Do they currently test tanks as well? (If no, Im good. If yes, then its time for some engineering)
Yes, they still test gas caps to make sure that they hold pressure.

You will still need to pass the emissions testing and I'm honestly not too sure on those standards since my county does not require them, but from what I hear as long as you have no SES light on and your tune is good than you should be good to go. A few other things I'll point out to you since a lot of people get hung up on certain things with Texas Vehicle Inspections;

- First, you pay for the inspector's service, not the sticker. If you fail the inspection, you still must pay the fee.
- A big item of failure is window tint. The legal limit on the front driver and passenger side windows is 25%. There is a 2-3% leeway that is given, but anything lower than that is an automatic fail.
- Your lenses CAN be cracked! They just cannot let any white light shine through. I would see this a lot with cars where over zealous inspectors would fail for a crack in a lens, but the law specifically states that it only fails if white light can be seen from the crack.
- On the topic of lenses and lights, rear taillights and headlights can NOT be tinted! The law is quite explicit on this, no taillight / headlight lens shall have anything that covers the lens. Whether it is a plastic cover, window tint film, or paint. It is something that can and will fail you. My advice is to purchase an extra set and tint them and swap them out for inspections.

I probably answered way more than you needed, but I wanted to include some extra stuff that most people never think about and then get floored by. Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

You want that $80 pass or fail sticker lol
Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99WS6_
You want that $80 pass or fail sticker lol
True, lol. I will add that the laws have become MUCH more strict when it comes to vehicle inspections. It used to be if someone was caught passing cars that should fail they would lose their license for a bit, maybe get a fine (depending on how bad it was), but it wasn't a huge deal. The state is now much more serious. If you are caught passing failing cars on purpose you get a two year jail sentence on top of a hefty fine and you can no longer inspect vehicles again. If you are caught passing failing cars out of pure ignorance you can be fined, taken off of inspecting duties, and you have to be re-certified to inspect vehicles. Some of the old notorious swifty-stick type shops have since clamped down much harder on their employees since they do not want all the fines that come with being busted. Just a heads up if you're looking for an inspector who looks the other way.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a loose generalization, but it seems the more yellow paint with orange trim, maybe a huge tire in front, the better your chances are of getting an inspection sticker. No brand in particular, just paint choices.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCam97
The exhaust does need to exit from under the vehicle (technically it must exit from the cabin area, which in our case is basically the entire car) in order to pass the inspection.

^This is 100% true^

Yes, they still test gas caps to make sure that they hold pressure.
^ This is 100% true^

- First, you pay for the inspector's service, not the sticker. If you fail the inspection, you still must pay the fee.

^This is 100% true^

- A big item of failure is window tint. The legal limit on the front driver and passenger side windows is 25%.

^This is 100% true^

There is a 2-3% leeway that is given, but anything lower than that is an automatic fail.

^By law its black and white. No gray. If you have 0%-24% tint on your front 2 side (the window directly to the left and right of the driver) windows you fail by law. The rear windows can be as dark as you want. The only way to avoid this is to have a state approved doctor note stating that for health reasons you must have a darker tint. I.E. a Serious skin cancer. You must also kelp the document in the vehicle at all times and have it renewed every year.

- Your lenses CAN be cracked! They just cannot let any white light shine through. I would see this a lot with cars where over zealous inspectors would fail for a crack in a lens, but the law specifically states that it only fails if white light can be seen from the crack.

^ This is 100% true^

- On the topic of lenses and lights, rear taillights and headlights can NOT be tinted! The law is quite explicit on this, no taillight / headlight lens shall have anything that covers the lens. Whether it is a plastic cover, window tint film, or paint. It is something that can and will fail you.

^This is 100% True^
I'm an inspector in Bexar County (San Antonio) We don't do emissions here. I will check the list tommorow and see if Katy does or not.

Air bags are not part of the TX state inspection.

We don't leak test gas tanks but if they are leaking it fails.

By law we are required to do a under hood check. They require us to check for emissions items, power steering leaks/ level, brake fluid leaks/level. The funny part is you can leak oil and coolant all day long. The power steering and brake fluid must not be leaking and no lower than 1/2 inch blow fill line.

As long as you have seat belts your fine. If they are factory seat belts and do not retract (to fit different size drivers) you fail. The belts must be able to adjust. So racing harnesses are fine. The seat belts just cant be frayed.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Wow... thats quite a bit of info.

I could pass on everything that you all have stated (I can build the exhaust anyway I need to...

That underhood inspection... tee hee. Thats a different case entirely
Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a shop in Hempstead (Waller County) that is a 30 min drive for you... if you go there, have your windows down, and car looks legit, they just get the vehicle info and ask you to honk the horn.. and you pass... been taking my car there for a while... I think the name of the shop is Berry truck repair or something like that
Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow... thats quite a bit of info.

I could pass on everything that you all have stated (I can build the exhaust anyway I need to...

That underhood inspection... tee hee. Thats a different case entirely
The smurf is the engine at? I'm assuming you removed the center console and rest your arm on the bell housing.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankSS
there is a shop.....
You would be wise to remove that shops name and send it via PM instead. The state would love to know that an inspection station is passing cars that should fail.....
Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 AM
Teching In

I've got dark tint for improved interior temperatures in the Houston summer. Can someone PM me a Houston shop that would do my inspection? I've been failed twice now and I'm about to give up and have the tint removed - and I've only had it for just over a year now.

Quick Reply: Texas state inspection for modified whip