Suggestions for keeping away feral cats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oscs
Posting a picture of your dog with duct tape on its mouth on FB and shooting a cat with a pellet gun when no one is looking is not the same thing. Don't be a moron and nothing will Happen.
Its an apartment complex. Lots of people live there and the chances are high he will be seen doing anything at all. And it will be the same thing. Animal cruelty. Courts wont see it any other way.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Antifreeze from O'Reilly's, Bowl from Dollar Tree. If someone "see's" you put down a bowl they wont know what is in it. If they test it and see it's antifreeze and tell the Apt Mgr you can deny it. There is NO EVIDENCE it is yours other than a testimony from one or 2 or 3 people, that will not stand in any court.

Geez, I can't believe this is even being discussed.

If your so worried (cough-cough-*****-cough) about it then inject a hot dog weenie with antifreeze and toss it out the door as you make an escape to work one morning. Take your trash to the dumpster and throw a couple in there, but be careful, wouldn't want the ***** Patrol to see you do it!

Chad
Old 01-21-2016, 02:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree most of the responses in here make me laugh.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

In my opinion a ***** would be someone w/o the ***** to take care of it in a safe and responsible manner. I can can promise you, I ain't no *****. Everyone here knows where I race and can discuss it with me any time. These guys are just stating different ways to take care of the issue w/o any possibility of someone getting in trouble or hurt. Take that name calling bitch move somewhere they are buying bullshit.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy crap guys, some of you are just asking for trouble. As much as I'd like to kill them, I am NOT getting in trouble over a bunch of stupid cats. There are a lot of other people living here besides me, some that are cat lovers (I know because they feed the ******* things which is why they're here in the first place) that would love to get someone like me in trouble for doing that.

I've already got some moth ***** under the hood, hopefully that will take care of it in the future.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

For those advocating leaving anti-freeze around to kill the cats, that has to be the worst idea I have ever heard of. You never know if your neighbor's domesticated cat or dog might get off the leash, drink it up, and die.

I'd say trapping them would be the best way to deal with them if he didn't live in an apartment complex. I'd never have the heart to shoot them, but relocating them 5-10 miles down the road and letting them out in a field would be a more humane way to deal with it.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree, trapping and relocating is the way to go.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by codyvette
In my opinion a ***** would be someone w/o the ***** to take care of it in a safe and responsible manner. I can can promise you, I ain't no *****. Everyone here knows where I race and can discuss it with me any time. These guys are just stating different ways to take care of the issue w/o any possibility of someone getting in trouble or hurt. Take that name calling bitch move somewhere they are buying bullshit.
All in fun my brother, no offense intended.

Cheers!

CHad
Old 01-22-2016, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

None taken. Just putting it out front. I do understand where you are coming from with the bleeding hearts. There is nothing wrong with getting rid of a pest destroying hard earned property. As for the people feeding ferral cats, I believe that is illegal in most cities. Dumping an animal ten miles away to be someone else's problem is yellow in my book as well.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

None taken. Just putting it out front. I do understand where you are coming from with the bleeding hearts. There is nothing wrong with getting rid of a pest destroying hard earned property. As for the people feeding ferral cats, I believe that is illegal in most cities. Dumping an animal ten miles away to be someone else's problem is yellow in my book as well.
You dump it in a field or wooded area nowhere near anybody's house. Also its a cat, its not like its a rabid raccoon or skunk.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

Just merc them and dispose of the evidence. Thats one less kitty that ends up on table at a Taqueria.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by AronZ28
You dump it in a field or wooded area nowhere near anybody's house. Also its a cat, its not like its a rabid raccoon or skunk.
You can dump them in the middle of a dessert. If they can survive the trek, they will end up back in civilization. They know where to score trash to dig in and bleeding heart enablers.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can dump them in the middle of a dessert. If they can survive the trek, they will end up back in civilization. They know where to score trash to dig in and bleeding heart enablers.
That's kind of how they survived and became domesticated in the first place. Eating rats that were attracted to our garbage.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Holy crap guys, some of you are just asking for trouble. As much as I'd like to kill them, I am NOT getting in trouble over a bunch of stupid cats. There are a lot of other people living here besides me, some that are cat lovers (I know because they feed the ******* things which is why they're here in the first place) that would love to get someone like me in trouble for doing that.

I've already got some moth ***** under the hood, hopefully that will take care of it in the future.
If other people feed them, why don't you try the same? Feed kitty some tuna or something for about a week until it trusts you, then lace the tuna with something toxic and problem solved. If people blame you, just say you must have accidentally given it spoiled food. I've tried a large trap before, and it doesn't work very well to catch them unless they're naive kittens.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really sad, there are a few sick people on this site.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRASHz427
One word........GAMO. A well placed shot from your balcony or window and you will eliminate the problem quickly. No head shots though, you want them to run away and die.
This.

In particular I'd recommend the more powerful air rifles available. I've shot cats with 15-17ftlbs and it was only just enough. 25-30ftlbs would be best, with 30ftlbs in record territory for production, hand cocked air rifles.

Thus a Theoben Eliminator .25 would be my recommendation they ain't getting away with that to the head.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2KIWI
This.

In particular I'd recommend the more powerful air rifles available. I've shot cats with 15-17ftlbs and it was only just enough. 25-30ftlbs would be best, with 30ftlbs in record territory for production, hand cocked air rifles.

Thus a Theoben Eliminator .25 would be my recommendation they ain't getting away with that to the head.
If you're going to shoot them, at least use a 12 gauge with some buckshot and put them down clean. No sense in prolonging their suffering because you shot them in the leg with an air rifle instead of the head. Either way carrying around a gun(even an air rifle) in an apartment complex is just asking for trouble.

I think the easiest and most obvious solution nobody has mentioned is for the OP to move. Apartment complexes suck for a variety of reasons. If you're going to rent, move into a house, duplex, or townhome.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

I can't believe this is still being discussed so heavily... Hell, I can't believe I'm still reading it. A pellet gun at an apartment complex will land your *** in jail on some serious charges. A live trap will not. Use your brains people.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KIWI
This.

here is my solution. 70FPE .25 cal with a built in silencer. super quiet, super effective. people take deer and hog with this bb gun.

Name:  null_zps0bdf3dcc.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  256.3 KB

it's my pest sniper. 8 shots at 40 yds. the shot circled in red was a different pellet that didn't shoot worth a ****.

Name:  5AE75607-7335-4348-986B-6787B7E67921_zpsgw3dh5fz.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  52.1 KB
Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

That's a BB Gun? Holy Fur Ball Batman!!

Can I borrow that thing? I just want to shoot something, anything. I may hang out in the back of a Grocery store and see if any cats show up!

Chad

Quick Reply: Suggestions for keeping away feral cats?