Suggestions for keeping away feral cats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Suggestions for keeping away feral cats?

My apartment complex has a number of feral cats in the area, and they won't do anything about it. My personal truck sits for long periods of time in the parking lot because I have a company truck.

I can live with them climbing into the bed of the truck, but one of the little f--kers has been climbing around in my engine bay, ripping up the hood insulation. Is there anything I can use long term to keep the little turd out of there?
Old 01-04-2016, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Bring in some stray dogs?

Honestly no, nothing can be done about feral cats except trapping the filthy SOBs and getting them fixed. Shelters and fosters typically stay full so don't waste your time there.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moth *****.. you have to be careful cause they are toxic to cats. But I take some mothballs and put them in a Gatorade bottle with some holes for the smell to escape.. I do this to our company trucks when we store them.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:53 PM
Teching In

I hate these little ******** always climbing on my ride!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There is no good legal way butbif you are in the least bit creative you can thin them out quickly. Some have the stomach for it and some don't but.... Whatever you do, don't leave something laying around that can harm a child. Good luck to you
Old 01-05-2016, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01SOM
Moth *****.. you have to be careful cause they are toxic to cats. But I take some mothballs and put them in a Gatorade bottle with some holes for the smell to escape.. I do this to our company trucks when we store them.
I will definitely try that, thanks!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bowl of green anti-freeze in the bed of the truck or underneath the engine. Taste sweet and cats love it, as well as dogs and squirrels.

We use to get rid of stray animals in my old neighborhood years ago. They drink and then leave and die somewhere else. If you start to smell rotting carcass one day then you will know it is working!

Don't use a personal bowl from your house, go buy a cheap one at Target or the Dollar store in case someone wants to say its your bowl and you killed Fluffy the house cat. You don't know how that bowl got there, that aint even your bowl!!

Chad
Old 01-05-2016, 09:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
Bowl of green anti-freeze in the bed of the truck or underneath the engine. Taste sweet and cats love it, as well as dogs and squirrels.

We use to get rid of stray animals in my old neighborhood years ago. They drink and then leave and die somewhere else. If you start to smell rotting carcass one day then you will know it is working!

Don't use a personal bowl from your house, go buy a cheap one at Target or the Dollar store in case someone wants to say its your bowl and you killed Fluffy the house cat. You don't know how that bowl got there, that aint even your bowl!!

Chad

You win the internet for today!!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Anti-freeze is now supposed to be pet safe. You will need something a bit stronger.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Antifreeze is not safe in any way and if a kid gets a hold of it, it will be your ***. Newer antifreeze just has an additive to make it undesirable for the animal to consume. Grow some *****, set a live trap, carry the fury little problems to a back road and.... Well I'll just say, make sure they don't become someone else's problem.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Chad
X2....
Old 01-07-2016, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Use bowls of chili powder.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I already knew about that. If this was a house, I'd be all over that on my property. But this is an apartment complex, and I'm not about to get in trouble over a stupid cat.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

City animal control won't even do anything?
Old 01-12-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Buy a shotgun, fire two blasts into the air.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Yea, I already knew about that. If this was a house, I'd be all over that on my property. But this is an apartment complex, and I'm not about to get in trouble over a stupid cat.
Then may I suggest around the dumpster, away from your residence? Possibly in the parking lot in the center median where the pretty trees are. Pick a non-conspicuous area that cannot identify you as the evil cat killer.

I even put one next to a neighbors fence 3 houses down on the opposite side of where they had the gate. It stayed there until the rain washed it out and the plastic bowl was in the street.

Be creative man! We're not talking about shaving *****, we're talking about getting rid if it!

Chad
Old 01-14-2016, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by codyvette
Antifreeze is not safe in any way and if a kid gets a hold of it, it will be your ***. Newer antifreeze just has an additive to make it undesirable for the animal to consume. Grow some *****, set a live trap, carry the fury little problems to a back road and.... Well I'll just say, make sure they don't become someone else's problem.
Conventional Green still lethal. Organic Orange is pet friendly. No traps, PETA would be on you like a Hobo on Ham Sandwich.

Chad
Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

It's all still lethal. PETA ain't got **** on what a prosecutor will do to your *** if a kid gets a hold of poison (any kind of antifreeze) you left out on purpose in a public place. You have every right to protect your property against pests. You don't tell them that you are taking the little bastards out for a long sleep.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

PETA can't and won't say **** about humane traps. We're not talking about damn bear traps to cut the critters in half, just a basic trap from tractor supply to catch them for safe transport to another area (like the city pound).

As far as putting out any sort of poison, please post where you live so I can keep my family away.

Few things that are safe for people and nasty for cats: jimson weed, lilies, oleander, sago palms, tobacco, yeast, onions, chocolate, grapes, aloe, and more.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

One word........GAMO. A well placed shot from your balcony or window and you will eliminate the problem quickly. No head shots though, you want them to run away and die.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for keeping away feral cats?