Wind Farm Technician Job

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wind Farm Technician Job

sup guys, been a lurker of this site since the down hill trend of the message forums and the generation of our cars. Im about to graduate from Texas Tech with my Bachelors of Science in Wind Energy therefore I am beginning to look for my first career job. I am asking if there's any leads out there. I've been applying to all the major and small firms I can find via google and word of mouth. This my attempt to find a job any way possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Might want to include the building contractors and engineering firms in your job search. Most of the owners are investment-Government subsidy driven and are LLc's. You might want to broaden your horizon to Gas -Steam turbine technology also. Florida Power and Light would be an example of a Company that does it all.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

General Electric could probably use someone willing to travel as a rep. We used to do a lot of warranty machine work thru them
Old 09-23-2016, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I worked on Siemens 2.3 MW wind turbines for a couple years. It was stupid difficult to get in, I got the direct line to a manager and called her once a week for months lol.

If you don't have any actual hands on experience, you will get picked over every time. The training they have to pay for is pretty expensive. I hope you didn't go to college just to be a tower hand, it's can be very tough work. If you put a couple years in at the big players, with your degree you have a good chance of getting out of the field.

If you have any questions about the work, I did pretty much everything at one point or another. My days of working 300 feet in the air for 11+ hours 7 days a week are behind me, but I still love the towers and how intelligent they are. It was a stupid dangerous job at times, anything with 660V outlets and a generator making 2.3 MW while 300 feet in the air will be, though. Had many close calls! Most places will want you traveling, which was the only way I found to make good money. The permanent placed guys were making $35,000 cash less than we were. That's probably $42,000 taxed. Per diem can be great if you're smart with your spending.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 007FJ
General Electric could probably use someone willing to travel as a rep. We used to do a lot of warranty machine work thru them
G.E had a lot of positions open buut I was denied
Originally Posted by Hi-Po
I worked on Siemens 2.3 MW wind turbines for a couple years. It was stupid difficult to get in, I got the direct line to a manager and called her once a week for months lol.

If you don't have any actual hands on experience, you will get picked over every time. The training they have to pay for is pretty expensive. I hope you didn't go to college just to be a tower hand, it's can be very tough work. If you put a couple years in at the big players, with your degree you have a good chance of getting out of the field.

If you have any questions about the work, I did pretty much everything at one point or another. My days of working 300 feet in the air for 11+ hours 7 days a week are behind me, but I still love the towers and how intelligent they are. It was a stupid dangerous job at times, anything with 660V outlets and a generator making 2.3 MW while 300 feet in the air will be, though. Had many close calls! Most places will want you traveling, which was the only way I found to make good money. The permanent placed guys were making $35,000 cash less than we were. That's probably $42,000 taxed. Per diem can be great if you're smart with your spending.

Good luck!
I appreciate the info, I was definitely lied to by my counselor about the pay. What she told me was that I could be making around 60k/ if not more, a year while I travel with the company. I am now thinking about earning my M.B.A while becoming a TA so that Tech will pay for half of my M.B.A and give me $1,000 per month bucks to live in Lubbock for another year. Like you said, I was not planning on going to college to go climb for the rest of my life. I dont mind climbing in order to pay for my dues but I want to be promoted to a position where I can TELL people what to do instead of the other way around. Kind of the reason why I went to college in the first place.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be an engineer. Everything else sucks.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oscs
Be an engineer. Everything else sucks.
far too late for that option, I graduate in May of 2017 nor am I willing to push back my graduation date. I've been in and out of my undergrad since 2010. It's time to graduate for me
Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Have you checked out Shermco Industries? We have a wind division. Our Main office is in Irving, Texas, but we have smaller offices all over.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lowandslow
Have you checked out Shermco Industries? We have a wind division. Our Main office is in Irving, Texas, but we have smaller offices all over.
i have not, thank you for this lead, ill check them out for sure.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I manage the transportation side of some wind projects. I'm not sure who the companies are that do the final installation, but can ask around. I'm in Dallas.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by komik
I manage the transportation side of some wind projects. I'm not sure who the companies are that do the final installation, but can ask around. I'm in Dallas.
anything will help, thank yall for all the help. I cant appreciate it more
Old 10-01-2016, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently managing a nextera wind site in michigan and have Shermco techs doing some work for us there.. good guys!

As far as jobs in wind, Nextera is hard to beat because of how wide spread we are through out the US and Canada. There are ALWAYS job openings, but may have to move. We also are owner / operators so you can settle down in an area and won't need to travel.. good luck heading into wind! It was the best decision I've ever made, hope it is for you as well.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camAro242
sup guys, been a lurker of this site since the down hill trend of the message forums and the generation of our cars. Im about to graduate from Texas Tech with my Bachelors of Science in Wind Energy therefore I am beginning to look for my first career job. I am asking if there's any leads out there. I've been applying to all the major and small firms I can find via google and word of mouth. This my attempt to find a job any way possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
My buddy just got a job a windmill tech out in Snyder, TX. Let me ask him.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
I am currently managing a nextera wind site in michigan and have Shermco techs doing some work for us there.. good guys!

As far as jobs in wind, Nextera is hard to beat because of how wide spread we are through out the US and Canada. There are ALWAYS job openings, but may have to move. We also are owner / operators so you can settle down in an area and won't need to travel.. good luck heading into wind! It was the best decision I've ever made, hope it is for you as well.

Very cool. Do you know what office they are out of? I've been on a few Nextera wind jobs myself.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro

Nextera likes to recruit at Tech, however I've been unsuccessful in my efforts. However the last time I tried was for a internship. I have yet to see a job posting on their website. If you could direct me to a link to where they advertise for a positing that would help me out greatly. I do not mind traveling around to wind farm to wind farm.
Originally Posted by 96ta
My buddy just got a job a windmill tech out in Snyder, TX. Let me ask him.
If you could send me the company name, it would be great. I would not mind staying in Lubbock as it will give me an excuse to earn my STEM MBA.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you could send me the company name, it would be great. I would not mind staying in Lubbock as it will give me an excuse to earn my STEM MBA.[/QUOTE]

Will do. Just sent him another message
Old 10-06-2016, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very cool. Do you know what office they are out of? I've been on a few Nextera wind jobs myself.
Not 100% sure but I think somewhere in texas
Old 10-06-2016, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=camAro242;19412723]Nextera likes to recruit at Tech, however I've been unsuccessful in my efforts. However the last time I tried was for a internship. I have yet to see a job posting on their website. If you could direct me to a link to where they advertise for a positing that would help me out greatly. I do not mind traveling around to wind farm to wind farm.

Should be postings at www.nexteraenergyresources.com

Gotta keep working at it.. took me around 75 apps.. new sites popping up everywhere
Old 10-10-2016, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=RollinSScamaro;19416161]
Originally Posted by camAro242
Nextera likes to recruit at Tech, however I've been unsuccessful in my efforts. However the last time I tried was for a internship. I have yet to see a job posting on their website. If you could direct me to a link to where they advertise for a positing that would help me out greatly. I do not mind traveling around to wind farm to wind farm.

Should be postings at www.nexteraenergyresources.com

Gotta keep working at it.. took me around 75 apps.. new sites popping up everywhere
Thank you for the link. I just checked the website, they are only hiring level 3 wind techs. Time to throw more apps wherever possible.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Level 3 is entry level at nextera..always apply regardless

Quick Reply: Wind Farm Technician Job