Looking to move to Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to move to Texas.

Howdy guys.

For a while now, I've wanted to move out of CT. This summer I will decide to act on it and move. I want to move to an area with year round car friendly weather, tons of racetracks, live in a quieter and less populated area, and hopefully get a job at a speed shop or something along the lines of Summit Racing. I'll be taking a vacation in Texas to get a feel for it and check out the area, check out apartments and possibly apply to jobs. I have a lot of sales experience, and retail from past jobs. So I don't think I'll have a problem finding something to sustain my living while I start out there. Then once I get settled, I can find something I can put my passion towards. Right now I'm looking at Fort Worth/Dallas areas and surrounding counties for the start of my search. There seems to be tons of tracks, job opportunities and apartments there. Cost of living is a night and day difference compared to CT, which I wouldn't mind. I want to get more involved in firearms as a hobby, and have new scenic drives and destinations as well.

Basically, I'm just looking for information as to what areas I should check out to get a place to live, how the tracks are out there, way of life, etc. and try to get as much information as possible before I fly out there. This way I'm not just relying on google and aimlessly searching online. Any help would be of great value.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 03-02-2017, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

I moved to Keller, TX from CO 9 years ago and haven't looked back at CO once. The whole family loves it hear! Keller is in the North part of Fort Worth and the area is growing quickly, which has it's up and down attributes. There seem to always be jobs in the area and Summit Racing is building a new super store on the corner of I20 and hwy 360. There are a lot of speed shops in this area too. Keller carries a higher cost of living then some of the surrounding areas but it's also very clean and the city has a lot of nice well maintained public areas. There is an autocross event nearly every weekend from April to November, and two road courses that are an hour away- Eagle Canyon and MSR Cresson. The Texas motorplex, 1/4 mile strip, is maybe 80min drive and there are two 1/8 mile tracks within 45 min.

There are a lot of nice cities in the general area with a wide diversity so looking around is a good plan to find what suits you.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the reply. I'm used to paying $900 a month for an 750sq ft apt, and that seems to be on par with the nicer areas of Fort worth and surrounding counties. I've seen apts nicer than mine for cheaper and more room, plus a garage haha. Thank you for the information, I'll be sure to check those out.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew-up in Buffalo, NY and moved to Houston, Texas in August, 2000. While it gets pretty hot at times, it still beats 6-7 months of cold and snow!! Houston is a big city, but there are areas that are quiet and nice to live. I live in Friendswood, which is close enough to Clear Lake/Kemah and Galveston is only a 20-30 minute drive.

There are two 1/4 drag strips - Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown (formerly Houston Raceway Park) and John Hennessey's place out in Sealy, Lonestar Motorsports Park. RPR hosts the NHRA Spring Nationals, so that's always fun. There's also a 1/8 mile track, Houston Motorsports Park. If you're interested in roundy-round, the Texas World Speedway has club and instructional racing on their road course, MSR south of Houston is also a good course, and then in Austin is the Circuit of the Americas.

While I miss certain aspects of home, you can't beat having a cool car to ride year long. In Buffalo, I'd never be able to drive my Trans Am in the winter. The salt would have killed it. I remember in December 2000, I drive to Galveston with the T-tops off, shorts and flip-flops and thinking, it's 15 degrees in Buffalo today!! HAHAHAHA. Plus, I have a Honda VFR motorcycle and I ride year long. I've ridden to work when it was in the 30's, but the rode home was in the 50's - 60's.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Man that sounds like living right there.

When it gets real hot out there, is it mostly a dry heat, or does it get real muggy? I've visited family in Vegas with 104 temps and it barely bothers me, but 90 degrees in CT will make me want to stay indoors.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Houston is nice, I would look on the north side though where it's nicer, but also more expensive. From what I know of Houston anyway.

And yeah, it's a muggy heat. I loved being in Vegas in the middle of July a couple years back, it was 101 at midnight and felt like it does here on a much cooler night with the humidity. But I imagine it beats months of snow.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Texas is full.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dallas has lower humidity than Houston. That can make a significant difference in how it feels.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
Dallas has lower humidity than Houston. That can make a significant difference in how it feels.
Agreed.

And OP I just noticed you said you want to stay inside in CT at 90, wait till you get here and it's 105 or so with high humidity
Old 03-02-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you a Democrat or Republican? If you are a Republican, welcome to Texas and feel free to settle wherever you please. If you are a Democrat, head straight for Austin and join the rest of the weirdos.

^ That was a joke...sort of.

You can't go wrong in Houston, DFW, SA or Austin. If I had to bet on a city (job/economy wise) over the next few years, I'd bet Houston.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 007FJ
Texas is full.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Be nice. Donald Trump is trying to make some vacancies.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought I was being nice. Don't want to have anyone die of heat stroke down here when they aren't acclimated a generation or three!

We are a friendly bunch actually just leave any even if trace amounts NE Liberalism behind when you come.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Haha, I've earned too many paychecks to be a liberal. I usually show Libertarian viewpoints when it comes to politics, but lately I've been right leaning. Hence another reason to move.

Yeah I'm done with 5 months of cold and snow out of a year. Even with my 79 K10, it's just not fun anymore. I want to build a road course car and get tickets year round, haha.

Sounds like I just need to put a vintage air system in the truck, and I'll be all set. I'll probably sell my G8 before I move, so this way I can find something old and rust free to build from the ground up. Another reason why I want to move south, I'm tired of dealing with rusty parts and rides.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

If you can tolerate the heat+humidity and retarded traffic, Houston has a ton to offer...and your politics are acceptable. Can't go wrong in Texas! More opportunity in Houston, perhaps DFW, but the mid and small sized towns are really nice too.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Not to sound ignorant, but coming from real world experience, how's the....migrant situation in Texas? I imagine the further south you go it would be apparent, but I assume CA and AZ take a lot on too.

I notice car insurance is higher in Texas too, does Texas not require car insurance?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

And if I got a job in the DFW or Houston area, which areas should I look for temporary housing? I'd want to live in a quieter area, and hopefully avoid any Armageddon traffic. My thoughts are, if I decide to stay, I'd live in a temporary place for about a year, then look into getting a house.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

The Greater Houston area is very diverse and the city and businesses are proud of that. As you travel further from the city, inclusion is less acceptable.

If your specifically talking about immigrants in the work force. It's hard for them to get good jobs. They normally only take the hard low paying jobs that's pay cash which sucks for them, because they are normally some hard working SOB's. I wish I could hire them were I work.

Texas does require that you to have insurance and the tickets for not having insurance is high.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by K10Turbo
I'd want to live in a quieter area, and hopefully avoid any Armageddon traffic.
In that case you'd be better off getting at least a general idea where you are going to work.

Commuting any longer than just a few miles in either DFW or Houston can take forever. Luckily I don't have to do that on a regular basis anymore as I'm able to work from home.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing I forgot to mention and neither did anyone else: NO STATE INCOME TAX!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by K10Turbo
Not to sound ignorant, but coming from real world experience, how's the....migrant situation in Texas? I imagine the further south you go it would be apparent, but I assume CA and AZ take a lot on too.

I notice car insurance is higher in Texas too, does Texas not require car insurance?
It's pretty bad. I've been to New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Texas has the most amount of non english speaking mexicans that I've encountered.

I'm in the car business, so I see a lot.

Texas very much requires car insurance, but there are a lot of uninsured motorists out there. If you're looking around the major cities, we also have emissions inspections.

Quick Reply: Looking to move to Texas.