Looking for help with parts install...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help with parts install...

Hi I'm in Galveston/Houston area and I 've been shopping around at some shops for install prices for a set of Texas Speed 1 7/8" long tubes and off road y pipe. The best offer I have had $550 for both. I know a great guy in Michigan who does them for $350. So $550 seemed a bit much. A local shop here in Houston area also quoted me $150 to install a BBK SSI intake which seems right on for price.

I am getting a tune by Bobby at Clear Lake Performance (recommended by members of this site) this coming monday for my slp cold air kit and magnaflow catback. He does re-tune for about $100 if I come back with headers or intake. So I do have a tuner. I'm just looking for someone/people that are EXPERIENCED and can beat that price.

My car is a 2000 camaro SS 6-speed. I'm making 325/333 RWHP/torque right now with a prior tune but I need headers to consistently take down all these cocky 5.0 drivers! I've pulled on two of them already which were probably stock or near stock. Thanks for any info.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:26 PM
Teching In

I forgot to mention that I will buy new gaskets and O2 sensor extensions so you won't have to splice the wires and all that mess. Whatever makes it easier for the installer. Also, does anyone have throttle body porting experience? I'm interested in that as well.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers are pretty easy. Even with little to no wrenching experience I'd say you could get them done yourself in a day without issue. If you were closer to my area I'd say come on over and bring a case of beer and some steaks and we could make a day of it. But Galveston is a bit of a haul from here.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the offer! Yeah it's a bit of a hike and I probably couldn't do it in the near future. I was just up in that area because I went to St Louis to pick the car up. I drove through Carthage and Marshall. A few steaks and some beer is a generous offer. lol I wish I was closer. If I get some extra time on the weekend or get a 3 day weekend from work I will let you know.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say wait on the tune until you get headers and save that $100, it's not worth much on a stock car, headers and your BBK intake should wake it up.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cobra-to-SS
Thanks for the offer! Yeah it's a bit of a hike and I probably couldn't do it in the near future. I was just up in that area because I went to St Louis to pick the car up. I drove through Carthage and Marshall. A few steaks and some beer is a generous offer. lol I wish I was closer. If I get some extra time on the weekend or get a 3 day weekend from work I will let you know.
Bring the intake too and come on. Just give me some heads up because I've got kiddos and it's impossible for me to work on stuff when they're with me, haha.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When would you want it done by? I have the ability, and am 45min from Galveston, but I currently have a car on the lift that I'm working to get done
Old 03-30-2017, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Damn that's short notice.... it can be done on ramps with a friend helping move crap from top side. Be careful moving rubber and plastic hoses, they get brittle after 17 years.

Quick Reply: Looking for help with parts install...