State inspection ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default State inspection ?'s

New to TX, specifically just north of Houston. Super excited about TX and that's here however I am concerned about getting 2 of my vehicles past inspection. Everything is good with them except I don't think they'll pass the smog/emissions test 🙄. If anyone can recommend (PM me) and/or point me in the right direction about how to handle this situation InwoI w GREATLY appreciate the help. Lots of nice cars & trucks here in TX so I know this isn't unheard of...

Thanks!

Rob
Old 10-29-2018, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Depends on what year car, whats done, and how friendly the inspection station is. 94-95 goes on the dyno and there isn't much you can do. 96+ uses the OBD port, so if the check engine light is on, it won't pass. If it's tuned out and you have emissions equipment missing, then you need a friendly shop, basically find car lot row and look for the shadiest shop possible.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

To-date I have never had an inspector check physical components other than safety stuff and gas cap. If the OBD2 scan comes back clean (no failures, no more than 1 NOT READY) then you shouldn't have any issues.

*hint* find the place with the most central American flags out front lol
Old 10-31-2018, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
To-date I have never had an inspector check physical components other than safety stuff and gas cap. If the OBD2 scan comes back clean (no failures, no more than 1 NOT READY) then you shouldn't have any issues.

*hint* find the place with the most central American flags out front lol
00 and down is 2 not ready, 01+ is 1 not ready. I've found some inspection places that are hardcore, got in an argument with a dipshit inspector over the self releasing parking brake on a 95 Cadillac. He flat refused to test it because of a factory feature, I later looked up the inspectors manual and found a provision for it, but he didn't know. Going to be interesting to see how Texas handles the electric parking brake on the 6th gen.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

I guess it's just the emissions part is where I'm worried. My truck won't pass the sniffer because I deleted the EGR & it has LT's & ORY and a tune. My '91 I'm only concerned with the neutral safety switch as it has an aftermarket shifter in (I guess a vehicle 25+ yrs is only safety inspected) and my 2002 Z28 also has LT's, ORY & a tune but otherwise would be fine like the Silverado. Seems since I'm in Montgomery county that's where I have to get it inspected as well...
Old 11-02-2018, 02:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rob M
I guess it's just the emissions part is where I'm worried. My truck won't pass the sniffer because I deleted the EGR & it has LT's & ORY and a tune. My '91 I'm only concerned with the neutral safety switch as it has an aftermarket shifter in (I guess a vehicle 25+ yrs is only safety inspected) and my 2002 Z28 also has LT's, ORY & a tune but otherwise would be fine like the Silverado. Seems since I'm in Montgomery county that's where I have to get it inspected as well...
25+ is safety only. Yeah, catless definitely won't pass the sniffer test, but the good news is that 94-95 are the only ones that require a sniffer, and it will be 95 only in a couple of months.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

So then whats going to get me is going to be the "not ready" status. As I understand the O2 sensors have 2 separate criteria, for the carbon content reading (showing either "Ready" or "Not Ready") & one for the 02 sensor's heater element (showing either "Ready" or "Not Ready"). If that's the case I'm SOL cause both the LS1 car & to truck are have cat-less Y-pipe, no air pump on the 4th gen & EGR delete on the truck
Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends if they are set to show NOT READY or N/A (do not report). I thought the rear sensors only have 1 line to report.

Hell though, I can't even remember if the MAF code counts for emissions.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I know this thread is a bit stale, but I thought it would be good to keep it in the 'inspection' thread.

I took my LM7 / 0411 swapped '96 Tahoe in to get inspected the other day and the 'guy' told me he couldn't get the State Computer to communicate with my ECM.

Since I'd been driving with my Bluetooth Reader connected and working, I know it's not the port.

Does anybody know if it's because the ECM no longer matches the VIN? I changed the VIN in the ECM to match the truck's 1996 VIN.

My OBD software deals with it fine, but do the Inspection Machines have an issue? I know it trips out HP Tuners, too.

I can change the VIN back to the original 0411 VIN simple enough with LSDroid, but would like to make sure it sails through next time.

This is in Harris County.

Thanks,

-Kyle

Old 02-13-2020, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kpeters59
So, I know this thread is a bit stale, but I thought it would be good to keep it in the 'inspection' thread.

I took my LM7 / 0411 swapped '96 Tahoe in to get inspected the other day and the 'guy' told me he couldn't get the State Computer to communicate with my ECM.

Since I'd been driving with my Bluetooth Reader connected and working, I know it's not the port.

Does anybody know if it's because the ECM no longer matches the VIN? I changed the VIN in the ECM to match the truck's 1996 VIN.

My OBD software deals with it fine, but do the Inspection Machines have an issue? I know it trips out HP Tuners, too.

I can change the VIN back to the original 0411 VIN simple enough with LSDroid, but would like to make sure it sails through next time.

This is in Harris County.

Thanks,

-Kyle

Back when I did state inspections (2006) I know it did NOT matter if the VIN matched or not. I'm betting the issue was w/ the inspector or their machine
Old 02-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Default It Passed!

I'd already changed the VIN back to the '01 VIN before that post.

Apparently that was enough, as it flew through.

I suspect that the State Computer uses the ECM VIN to lookup how to communicate and the '96 ECM VIN won't work with the '01 OS.

Now, why do I keep insisting on swapping the VIN back?

Maybe I'll hold off on that now...

Thanks,

-Kyle
Old 02-21-2020, 09:16 AM

I was actually going to make a thread for this but looks like an old one got bumped. I have a similar issue except my car isn't 25+ years or older. I have a 408 and it has true duals (no cats) so it's loud as ****. My engine builder/tuner said it would pass on OB2 but would fail visual if the shop did a visual check. I am in Tarrant county and would like to know if there are any places that would pass. If you know and don't mind telling, could someone please PM me? Thanks
Old 02-21-2020, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

To-date no inspector has gotten off their *** to look under any of my cars or trucks. Some told me the vehicle was loud, some told me they sounded good, and most didn't say anything.
The following users liked this post:
kpeters59 (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
To-date no inspector has gotten off their *** to look under any of my cars or trucks. Some told me the vehicle was loud, some told me they sounded good, and most didn't say anything.
Yup. Find a shop with a fat inspector, so your likelihood of him laying on the ground to look under the car is even lower lol
The following users liked this post:
kpeters59 (02-24-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I will have to deal with this soon enough. My car doesn't have cats. As I understand it though, most places won't check the car too carefully. You just have to make sure that you tune out anything that will cause a CES light to appear. I'm missing two o2 sensors, so I'll need to get those disabled in the ECU. My car also won't have EGR as it came with a factory LS6 intake.