TMS Reviews - Feedback Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TMS Reviews - Feedback Appreciated

To keep it short, it looks like I just got burned on my second engine in a row - that's right, 2 lemon short blocks in a row. My now 4 year long project is delayed again.

Ive been looking at Thompson Motorsports for a 370 short block, and I've read a lot of good reviews, but I've also seen some scary feedback about roached bearings/shattered pistons/sub par machining etc.

To those who have ran their engines - how was the quality of their product? any issues? if so was it resolved? I need to know that the next $3-4k I drop will not be in vein.

I figured my best bet was to ask some Texans - I believe TMS is located there.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a tms 370 few weeks ago its top notch service great place to do business I promise u wont be disappointed. I drove up there and picked it up plus with a 200$ oil pump you get a 12month warranty how could u worry about it knowing that.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the pics - looks good
Old 06-14-2019, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 408 from Thompson Motorsports and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Their customer service is second to none. I will definitely be going back for my next engine.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rat
To keep it short, it looks like I just got burned on my second engine in a row - that's right, 2 lemon short blocks in a row. My now 4 year long project is delayed again.

Ive been looking at Thompson Motorsports for a 370 short block, and I've read a lot of good reviews, but I've also seen some scary feedback about roached bearings/shattered pistons/sub par machining etc.

To those who have ran their engines - how was the quality of their product? any issues? if so was it resolved? I need to know that the next $3-4k I drop will not be in vein.

I figured my best bet was to ask some Texans - I believe TMS is located there.

Thanks in advance
@93Rat If there is anything we can help with or any questions you may have that we can clear up for you please do not hesitate to give us a shout. We will be more than happy to help answer any questions you may have sir !

Look forward to hearing from you sir
-Dustin
Thompson Motorsports
972-853-2450
Old 06-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
I bought a tms 370 few weeks ago its top notch service great place to do business I promise u wont be disappointed. I drove up there and picked it up plus with a 200$ oil pump you get a 12month warranty how could u worry about it knowing that.
Originally Posted by 406chvycamaro
I got my 408 from Thompson Motorsports and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Their customer service is second to none. I will definitely be going back for my next engine.

Thank you guys for putting in a good word for us ! If there is anything I can help out with please let me know !!!

Thanks
Dustin
Thompson Motorsports
Old 06-14-2019, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve got a 370 that I’ve had for almost 2 years now.

Initially I had a concern before the engine was installed and Kyle assured me it wouldn’t be an issue.

And it hasn’t been an issue.

I’ve swapped the cam a couple of times and swapped heads last year. No issues at all.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

OP, did TMS make it right with the first short block? What was the issue and how was it determined?

I always say, we all make mistakes. The important part is what you do to make it right.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
OP, did TMS make it right with the first short block? What was the issue and how was it determined?

I always say, we all make mistakes. The important part is what you do to make it right.
I read his post as another shop burned him twice and is now looking to TMS for his next build but because he was burned before and has read some negative reviews he is weary which in understandable.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Go visit their shop. My friend got burned expensively on his 2014 416" Stingray by a shop in Northern Louisiana (ruined the new crank and block because they put the wrong one in and even argued after the fact that the Eagle LS crank should have been fine among other things). 300 easy break in miles later he was visiting Thompson after I told him about a sale. He drove there to check it out and was over 1200 really happy miles last week. All of this happened in the last 5-6 months.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live about 8 miles from them, they are pretty well know in these parts and known for making great engines and great power.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by 007FJ
Go visit their shop. My friend got burned expensively on his 2014 416" Stingray by a shop in Northern Louisiana (ruined the new crank and block because they put the wrong one in and even argued after the fact that the Eagle LS crank should have been fine among other things). 300 easy break in miles later he was visiting Thompson after I told him about a sale. He drove there to check it out and was over 1200 really happy miles last week. All of this happened in the last 5-6 months.
Originally Posted by qweedqwag
I live about 8 miles from them, they are pretty well know in these parts and known for making great engines and great power.

Thank you fellas !!

TMS-
Dustin
Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Banned

This was a crazy one, I couldn't believe someone had put an LS crank in an LT and just sent it but now I have seen it again about a month ago. I guess this is going to be a new thing... I am glad we were able to help your friend out and get him something more suitable for his use. Thank you for the response.
Thank you,
Kyle
Old 06-20-2019, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Thompson Is The Place To Go

Originally Posted by thompson
This was a crazy one, I couldn't believe someone had put an LS crank in an LT and just sent it but now I have seen it again about a month ago. I guess this is going to be a new thing... I am glad we were able to help your friend out and get him something more suitable for his use. Thank you for the response.
Thank you,
Kyle

The C7 on the stretcher was after the Shreveport Louisiana shop put the wrong crank in after around 300 miles.

Whats a little crank walk and wrong thrust design among friends...right? Thompson's couldn't use the block so it was double work, expenses, PLUS another block.

For the record as of yesterday the bad shop hasn't reimbursed him for even the Crank after they sent him a label to send it back and were going to settle up partially. Instead it's all crickets and denial.

It isn't my fight and I won't confirm or deny the bad shop name but if you are running around with a 4" K1 or Eagle in a LTx then you have issues coming. Callies is the only game for those right now or probably Texas Speed.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 PM
Banned

The C7 on the stretcher was after the Shreveport Louisiana shop put the wrong crank in after around 300 miles.

Whats a little crank walk and wrong thrust design among friends...right? Thompson's couldn't use the block so it was double work, expenses, PLUS another block.

For the record as of yesterday the bad shop hasn't reimbursed him for even the Crank after they sent him a label to send it back and were going to settle up partially. Instead it's all crickets and denial.

It isn't my fight and I won't confirm or deny the bad shop name but if you are running around with a 4" K1 or Eagle in a LTx then you have issues coming. Callies is the only game for those right now or probably Texas Speed.

That is just wild. I hope your buddy gets it handled. Let us know if we can help with anything else in the future! Thank you!!!
Old 06-30-2019, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I read his post as another shop burned him twice and is now looking to TMS for his next build but because he was burned before and has read some negative reviews he is weary which in understandable.
Correct. I simply can't afford another lemon - id either have to park the car for another several years or sell it if this happens again ......im already going to be selling one of my nice rifles to pay for this new short block

Lots of good feedback here, thanks for the input guys
Old 06-30-2019, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy another motor from them in a heartbeat. Motor still strong after 3 yrs.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Thompson Is A Good Place To Do Business With

Originally Posted by 93Rat
Correct. I simply can't afford another lemon - id either have to park the car for another several years or sell it if this happens again ......im already going to be selling one of my nice rifles to pay for this new short block

Lots of good feedback here, thanks for the input guys
1700 miles as of tonight's phone call. No complaints