WTF happened to Rock101?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTF happened to Rock101?

I listen to Walton and Johnson every morning on my way to work and now I go out on my lunch break and turn it on Rock101 and its gone. Now it is another ******* Latino station... "Mega 101 FM Latino and Proud". Check out www.klol.com

I saw this on Walton and Johnsons website:

17 years ago one of the top rated morning shows in Dallas/Ft Worth disappeared from the air one Friday morning without explanation to a large and mostly befuddled audience. Walton & Johnson recieved a call on the Thursday evening before informing them that KISS 106 would be "The Oasis" in the morning and would be playing New Age music instead of the Walton and Johnson Show. Sadly we headed to HOT 97 in New York City and many people in the Metroplex did not find out what happened to the show or why until years later.

Thursday night W&J were informed by lower level management sources via a last minute phone call (class and ethics never go out of style) that there would be no W&J Show tomorrow. In it's place would be Hispanic music programs.

Now, 17 years later we can at least use the internet to keep you 10 percenters abreast of the latest developments.

Here's what we know now:

As of Friday morning 11/11/04 our current flagship station KLOL FM in Houston will become yet another spanish station for Houston and W&J have emphatically not been offered a Clear Channel alternative. You will no doubt hear or read corporate spin as to how the show just did not work out in Houston. Don't you buy it. In the lastest morning ratings W&J were the top ranked (non-ethnic) morning show in Houston in our target 25-54 demographic. We had great trepidation early on about associating the show with CC Radio since they had a well documented history of hiring away successful shows that they could not beat in other markets and then icing them when they thought it safe to do so. But we accepted the risk because the lure of putting our beloved show on the air in our own hometown seemed to outweigh the risk of this type of competition elimination. In this case we think they were confounded by our success in spite of a complete lack of support in marketing, advertising, and PR by CC Radio for the Walton and Johnson Show. Since we have now built a large and loyal listener base that exceeded the performance of the base radio station on a regular basis we do not intend to throw it away and leave Houston. This is our home and we will not be disposed of so easily. Houston listeners keep checking this website and we will let you know where to find us.

As for New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Biloxi, College Station, and Lufkin.....

Since WRNO FM in New Orleans is also now owned by Clear Channel we will also be off the air briefly in The Big Easy. SInce W&J are always at the top of the ratings and a proven audience mover and money maker, we suspect that other parties will be interested in broadcasting the show. It is too early to determine who...but we will let you know on this website the minute we negotiate that one.

We are unsure about Eagle 98.1 in Baton Rouge/Lafayette since they are owned and operated by Guauranty Broadcasting. We are almost always on top there also so it seems very reasonable that Eagle or someone else will want to keep the show on the air in Red Stick...GEAUX TIGERS.

Judging from calls and emails the show seemed to be catching on rapidly in Biloxi/Gulfport.... Since our affiliate there is not a Clear Channel station (there are a few left who are not)...we will let you know how that one shakes out...right now without a flagship station the show will be difficult to distribute. But will get back on ASAP on the Mississippi Coast.

Since College Station and Lufkin are both Clear Channel owned and operated I suspect we may lose you guys (for awhile at least)...once again judging from the volume of calls and email the show seemed to be getting traction in Aggieland and the Piney Woods..we hope we can get back on there soon because we really enjoyed serving you.

I am so pissed off... **** ClearChannel.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

wtf

clearchannel sucks
Old 11-12-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

God, that pisses me off. When I would rarely listen to the radio, it was usually KLOL. Way to kill off one of the best Houston stations.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

thats the ONLY radio station i listen to when im not listening to cd's. And W&J is the only show i listen to. Way to **** us over Clear Channel. FOR THAT, i will buy satellite radio and never listen to a clear channel station again....bitches.

Oh and this is the second time for me.......before i moved down here about a year ago, i lived in Longview-between tyler and shreveport. The only good radio station we had was 99x. Well they were bought out by the big Clear Channel conglomerate, and one monday we woke up to find out our only decent rock station had become of the other 8 classic rock stations in the area.They had even changed their phone number. I can only take so much Aerosmith and Rush all day long...
Old 11-12-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Old 11-12-2004, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

WTF????!??!?!

KLOL was my favorite station. I listed to that station nightly while building my '69 in the garage. This pisses me off. I also listened to W&J every morning while driving to work.

This sucks. The Buzz plays the same **** over and over every hour, 93.7 plays too many old and slow rock songs, and KLOL was a good mix of new and old rock. Now its gone for some latino crap?

bastards!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

The DJs on the buzz are a bunch of goofey asses.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

101 turned to **** a long time ago when they decided to start playing more commercials than music. Thank god for CD's.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:35 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

101 was not my favorite station but its bullshit that we now have one less rock station.

What is it down to now 94.5 and thats it?

******* ghey!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Welcome to the Club guys... Clear Channel ripped 97.1 the Eagle out of DFW, we only have one rock station still alive Im going to XM---**** CLEAR CHANNEL!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

W&J need to get a deal with XM or Sirius like Howard Stern. that would rock. 101 was getting pretty tired but i will miss Outlaw Dave and Locke and of course W&J
Old 11-12-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

yeah it does suck my friend was wondering what happend also. i nvr liked w&j they just sounded gay. i have always been a really big fan of the old morning show. steven's and pruett (spelling). and uncle waldo! stupid *** clear channel.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is teh suq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

does Outlaw Dave have his own web site?
Old 11-12-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just what we needed, another "Latino" station to add to the lineup:
KXTJ, Tejano, 107.9 FM
KQQK, Tejano, 106.5 FM
KLTN, Spanish, 102.9 FM
KOVE, Spanish Adult Contemporary, 93.3 FM

5 "latino" channels and 2 rock stations? How does that make sense... I guess it caters better to all the illegal immigrants driving around without insurance.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Son of a....this can't be true. I listen to three stations mostly-
101.1- almost always great (except Outlaw Dave)
93.7- mostly good
94.5- usually ghey.

How am I supposed to live without Walton and Johnson? Sure sometimes they were a little too much but this makes me want to buy a radio station and get 'em back up.

DIE Clear Channel DIE
MY BAD DAY JUST GOT FREAKIN WORSE.

Time to boycott these SOB's.

Brian
Old 11-12-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

well I read that our beloved 97.1 the Eagle got taken off by a comment one of the radio jockies made about muslims, theEagle at the time had high ratings and it just disappeared one day without any notice.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 11-12-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Son of gun, that sucks
Old 11-12-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

IMO Clear Channel fucked Houston originally by canceling Stevens and Pruitt and the Bonner unexpected and unannounced, **** Big Corporate companies controlling what we choose to listen too Clear Channel Communications