LS1 fouling only one bank of cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004 | 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Default LS1 fouling only one bank of cylinders

I started getting a pretty bad misfire recently, so changed the plugs with the standard TR-55 @ .050". The driver's side plugs (I always do the easy ones first) were a bit ashy - like the car is running lean. but the passenger side plugs were sooty as hell - carbon fouled.

Do you guys have an idea what my problem might be? I seem to recall that the fuel is metered on a per bank basis. Is this correct? Does the ECM control spark timing on a per bank basis, too? Is this as simple as a bad O2 sensor.

My setup is an 99 SS engine with Zo6 intake, TR224 on 114, 918s, Ti retainers, ChroMo pushrods, Shaner St2 throttle body, Granatelli MAF, lid, FTRA, TB bypass mod, Jet Hot (Hooker) long tubes, off-road Y-pipe, and Hooker cat back.

Tune was done many months ago @ MTI, but the setup has changed! Everything is basically the same except the previous engine had ARE Stage 3 heads and a G5 X2. When that one spun a rod bearing, I installed the 99 LS1, but haven't gotten around to MTI to retune.

Your collective wisdom is appreciated. (cross posted to texas forum.)

Tony
Beaumont, Texas
Old 11-25-2004 | 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Retune would be a good investment. There's a huge difference between the X2 and the 224. Bad 02 sensor could be giving you a bad condition. Can you run Tuners or Atap on it? If so thats your best bet to quickly eliminate the o2 question. Tuning would definitely help tho.