Need help finding the thread w/the Camaro RC cars.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:22 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help finding the thread w/the Camaro RC cars.

Ive been searching all over, but cant find it. I cant remember who posted it, but need some info off of it. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For starters try searching for HPI, or TC3. Those are two of the most popular on-road cars.
You got any other info?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=hpi

Last edited by chevy42083; 11-30-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

i know if your looking for the zipzap camaro ss. they are hard to come by. radioshack is always sold out. but heres a x mods 67 camaro.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=60%2D8011
Old 11-30-2004, 09:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

I remember some guys on here posting pics of their Camaro RC cars. I think there was a 35th anniversary and a navy blue metallic. From the pics, they looked like they were about 10 to 12 inches long. But they might have been zoomed in on.

The XMODS 67 Camaro I saw at Radio Shack today, but Im looking for a 98-02 model. I really dont want the Zipzap ones because theyre too small. Were the ones that were posted the Zipzap one, the XMODS one, or some other brand?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

First of all, a little about the body sizes. MOST electric cars are 190mm, and MOST gas cars are 200. However, most rally electrics are widened to 200mm. HPI makes a T/A and an LS1 Camaro body, both in ONLY 200mm.

The most popular cars seem to be the TC3 made by Team Associated, the RS# (RS3, RS4) made by HPI, and for the lower budget, any of the Tamiya cars. The bodies are mostly interchangeable between all of those w/ the exception of the two sizes (190mm and 200mm).

The cars I am talking about are all 1/10th scale, about a foot long.

www.towerhobbies.com is cheaper than all the local hobby shops I've found, and have a very wide selection. Excellent place to look around, read, and learn what's available.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club NA

The only one that Ive come across from HPI is this one...

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/bodies/7460cam.jpg

It was under the 200mm Touring and Rally car bodies. Only color I found was red and I was looking for a black one. It says its $24, but I assume thats only for the body. If so, what RC model does the 200mm Camaro body go with?

On the TC3 (Team Associated), I didnt find anything of a Camaro.

Im really not looking for anything too expensive. Just something I can mess around with. I never really wanted anything like this until today when I went shopping for some little cousins of mine. I had remembered someone posting about their Camaro RC cars on the site. Im not looking for something I can spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on. Ive looked all over Ebay and didnt find anything.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club NA

Does anyone remember seeing this thread? Its a while back, not sure how long ago, but there was a NBM SS and a 35th posted. Thats all I can remember.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

First of all, these bodies are all CLEAR, and you must paint or have a hobby shop paint them for you. The HPI body will fit the TC3, the HPI touring cars, as well as the tamiya touring cars.

Since you just looking for a toy, not a r/c car to tune and modify, I'd say go with a tamiya car. The HPI body will fit it, as well as just about any touring car wheels. This still won't be a very cheap toy though.

Just cause the kit doesn't come with a camaro body doesn't mean ANYTHING. The other body can be a thrashing body, or a practice body to hone your skills a bit. That's why I have the mercedes TC3 kit, I don't like mercedes, and won't care if it gets scratched up. The main thing is that it fits the SIZE body you want to get.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDYC2&P=0
Tamiya - AWD - 190mm
$169 requires battery and charger.
It still reguires a hobby style battery pack ($10 - $30, depending on what you want. NOTHING wrong with the $10 or $15 ones, they just aren't the Lingenfelter of the hobby world), a charger ($30-$200, mine is $35, and it works excellent.)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDYA5&P=0
$109 Tamiya - RWD - 190mm
requires charger

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEKJ6&P=0
HPI DASH - 200mm body - 2wd
$99, only requires charger. But this one is a lower standard car, more of a hoppped up radio shack car. Not a clue how fast it would be, but it will fit the HPI camaro body, and any sedan/touring car wheels. Great driveable model, but might get boring pretty quick. However, it is 200mm.

As far as cost to paint the body, your looking at probably $10-$15 in supplies at the lowest. I once payed $25-$30 to have someone paint one, but I don't know anyone or place that will still do them (not saying they aren't around). Some of these ready-to-run (RTR) kits come with painted bodies.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club NA

Wow, so definately nothing cheap. I was thinking maybe $100 max. Those Zipzaps are extremely small and theyre around $20 and the XMODS are biggeer at around $50, so I figured something like you showed me would be around $100. I was just looking for something to mess around with. In all honesty, I SURE would like a gas powered RC car, preferably a black Camaro SS. What kind of range am I looking at with a gas powered? Thanks for all your help so far.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Launching!

You can get the RTR(ready to run) kits from hpi and team assoc. for around $300. Tamiya has some that are alittle cheaper aswell. They make decent parking lot bashers but aren't race worthy.

Here's a list of some
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=CBE
Keep in mind you can put what ever 1/10scale body you want to use on them

Here's the hpi 1/10th scale bodies
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=CHA&V=HPI

I wouldn't recommend a nitro car for an r/c novice though, stick with the electrics to start.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Teching In

If you need the body painted. Talk to P.A. at the slot car track behind Almeda Mall. He painted mine a long time ago.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can't use ANY 1/10th scale, you have to get the correct 190mm or 200mm width. That's the problem with electric, MOST are 190. The HPI DASH is 200mm, which is why I posted it, along with the fact that it's the cheapest. Like I said though, it's a hopped up Radio Shack car. Not sure if that's what you are looking for. Alot of the rally car kits are 200mm. They will also have more ground clearance (which you will want), but you will probably want to buy a different set of tires (prob $10). As far as ground clearance, my TC3 scrapes on pebbles and loses control, so if you want to drive it anywhere other than tennis courts and perfect parking lots, rally is probably better.

That's why I'm getting a rally conversion kit for my TC3, that way I can fit the bodies I want and clear pebbles.