Possibly relocating to TX - Houston area. Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IT contract houses are plentiful in Houston, too. I've worked for Comsys (no real problems), Compucom (SUCKED), Icon (no problems), and Cogent (no problems) over the past few years. Other companies I've looked into are JDA, IS&T, and Rober Half Technologies. The oil companies tend to pay well, and they are usually looking for someone. The medical field in Houston is also huge, though they tend not to pay as well. Job security is about the same as anywhere. The IT market isn't really strong, but it's getting better. Most of the crap people have been weeded out by the lean times, which is good. If you get closer to moving, let me know and I can see about digging up some contacts at the above places. It has been a few years since I needed them (I work for a consulting firm now, so things are pretty stable), but I might still have a few names I can give you.

The advice Brains gave you about finding a place to work first is solid. There's nothing worse than finding a nice place to live, then realizing work is on the other side of town.

-Mike
Old 12-06-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are great, I really appreciate it.

I'm currently just waiting to hear back about some higher-paying jobs I applied for. I'm not in a rush, just waiting for the right thing to come along. (whether it's up here, or down there). I'm pretty stable with my current job (knock on wood), so I can't REALLY complain too much.

I'll keep this thread updated...