Possibly relocating to TX - Houston area. Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possibly relocating to TX - Houston area. Questions...

Hey guys,

There is a chance I'll be relocating from Massachusetts here to the Houston area for work. I've got a good amount of questions, if someone has a few minutes.

I'm looking to come down to work in the computer industry. How is it to work in? Up here it's a very "tight" industry. Lots of red-tape at your job, reoccuring fears of layoffs, we sometimes don't know what to think day to day, etc. etc. Just looking at Monster.com, there looks to be about 50% more postings down there, than I have up here for my field of work.

How much is taken out of your pay for taxes, is it 8%? Are benefits (usually?) included?

Is insurance needed on vehicles?

I CANNOT GET OVER the costs of a decent looking house. Will 85K really get me something decent? (Here, you can't find a bomb shelter for under 200-thousand) Click here if you want to see for yourself - Remax link. It looks like housing taxes are more than we have here, but not by a WHOLE lot.

My girlfriend and I visited at the beginning of this year. We stayed up on Lake Conroe, but were hanging around down in Spring a few times. It seemed like a nice little small town. We noticed some stores had bars on the windows, which took us a bit by surprise. Is there much crime in these little communities I saw when visiting? Maybe a dumb, naive, question, but would I be worried about my truck getting broken into if I didn't have a garage in this area?

Are there any areas around Houston you'd recommend to look?

Thanks a lot,
-marc
Old 12-02-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marc_w
Will 85K really get me something decent? (Here, you can't find a bomb shelter for under 200-thousand) Click here if you want to see for yourself - Remax link. It looks like housing taxes are more than we have here, but not by a WHOLE lot.
-marc
Some of those houses look like Crap for that much money. I'd sure you can find something decent for 85k. I can't tell you much more since I've never been to houston. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:11 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well where to begin, Yea you could probably find a decent house for 85K , but look at the area you are looking make sure there are no MUD taxes and also check out the school tax rate in the area the nicer the area the more the taxes usually (Nicer Schools.). We don't have a state income tax just federal and SS tax. We have a state sales tax of 8.25% on all good bought in the state(Mail order doesn't aply). Yea insurance is a law to have at least Liability coverage. Prices for insurance range greatly here so do some shopping. The bars on the window are just standard Operating procedures in this area of the country. I would not worry to much about your truck getting broke into unless it is customized (Apperance wise) if so be prepared if just about stock no problems generally speaking, but it can still happen. We are close to Mexico so a lot of cars make it there some how etc...Areas to look are kinda what you like and I love the Spring area and Clear lake area's and Humble JMO thought I would come down and look around the areas although it is only about 30-45 minutes to get any where in Houston from these areas if there is light to moderate trafic. We do have heavy trafic in the mornings and evenings so where ever you are planning on working look at the accessability etc... Hope this helps you out a little I am sure some other will respond with there answers. Oh and about the job market down here I can't tell you about the computer field specificly, but I think over all it is a little better here.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

As an ex yankee, I can help a bit

1. Find out where you'll be working FIRST, buy the house SECOND. Traffic in Houston sucks, and the driving ability of Houstonians is unbelievably lower than other areas of the country. Wait until it rains, your trip times easily double because people here are incompetent behind the wheel.

2. Pay close attention to what part of town you settle in. Generally speaking, there are "pockets" of higher crime areas, and they tend to follow the areas where housing is cheaper (makes sense).

3. The general cost of living is pretty cheap. Houses are cheaper, general goods are average to a touch cheaper. Your dollar can go a long way if you spend it right, compared to northern states.

4. Gas is a little cheaper We're paying anywhere from 1.87 to 1.99 a gallon for 93 octane these days.

5. Plan on your electric bill being significantly higher than up north in the summers To stay on the cheaper side, buy a one story house -- they're much cheaper to cool.

6. Computer jobs are all over, depending on what kind of money you're wanting. The average mid-career job is paying around 50k right now. Entry level pays 30k.

7. The performance car scene here is HUGE. You can't drive down the road without seeing at least a dozen camaros, corvettes, mustangs, etc. Lots of rice, but that infestation reaches every corner. Oh, if you happen across an f-body chances are VERY high it'll have at least a catback, usually more.

8. Every redneck pickup truck has loud *** duals out the back. Its a way of life.

9. Traffic tickets down here are more or less on the "pay to play" system. You get a ticket, as long as it isn't TOO bad you can get it dismissed by paying the courts ie. taking a defensive driving class, or paying "court costs" and being on "deferred adjudication" (probation).

10. Cops are for the most part pretty easy going, but of course like everywhere you have a couple by-the-book warriors.

11. There's an endless supply of entertainment in this city. If you can't find something happening, you're not looking. Doesn't matter what you're in to, Houston has it.

12. EVERYTHING is spread out. Plan to drive --everywhere-- ... A short trip in the Houston area is anything under 15 miles. An average trip is around 20 Heck, just to get across town can be 50 miles. People drive here, a lot. You think they'd be better at it (did I mention people here can't drive?)

13. Due to the rapid growth of Houston since the 60's, all the major freeways are ALWAYS under construction. So again, buy a house near where you work to ease your traffic trustrations. Rush hour is more like crawl two hours.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

hit the nail on the head, you didnt leave anything out
Old 12-03-2004, 08:54 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah brains filled in some of the blank spots and I forgot to tell you about our shity drivers although I think a lot of it comes from all the illeagal's here trying not to get pulled over and most don't have insurance etc... They are the worst, he is right it starts to rain everyone says I better stop not slow down they almost stop? I could bitch about that all say I used to drive for a living and some days you will not be able to find anyone else that can drive LOL!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

I know, a yankee, huh? I don't think we're too bad. We prononce our R's and don't say "wauter" or "daug" or "caufee".

Thanks a lot though, guys, I really appreciate it...

I understand the thing about the drivers. Ours are very agressive and stupid at the same time. (You may have heard the term "Massholes"). They'll look right at you as they cut you off and assume you'll get out of their way.

Driving everywhere - that's okay with me. My current commute is 25 miles one way, all on rutted, pot-holed back-roads. I could take the highway's, but I get to work in a bad mood from the stupid drivers. If it's any easier, I'll take a motorcycle to work.

My girlfriend and I are both small-town people. We're used to driving at least 20 minutes to shopping or whatever.

We have a lot of construction up here too - that doesn't bother me TOO much. The "Big Dig" in Boston is quite a PITA.

The rain - When I was down there I was extremely surprised at the lack of traction on the roads when it rains. I had a Dodge Stratus rental car, and the thing spun the front end up just getting on the highway. I couldn't believe it. When we got off the highway we came across a rather bad head-on collision. There is not nearly as big of a difference with wet/dry traction on our roads (assuming you have fresh tires).

Tax info - that sounds good. I'll have to check out this MUD tax though.

The industry - yeah, I'm a mid level computer person (not exactly my passion, but the money is there). I've got just under 10 years experience. I'm finding it to be very hard to get anywhere higher here. I feel like I'm topping out and I'm getting bored. I'm looking to see if I get any bites that'll graduate me to a higher level position. There were a few nice $35+/hr contract jobs I saw, and I'm starting to throw my resume out there.

The police/traffic tickets sound a lot easier than here. You can't get out of tickets, and they automatically bump your insurance. Police here aren't all that bad.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Teching In

We live in the 'burbs.. of Houston

Northwest in a cute little community called Copperfield.. You most likely wont find a house for 85k here average would probably be around the 120s but are really nice. There is everything on this side of town. Just to give you an idea. .There are tons of Suburbs of Houston.. Happy hunting...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks!

I'm just shocked that I saw a few decent looking places for ~85K. I'm willing to spend up to 200K, assuming I make the pay I do now - but I'd need to put it all down on paper (with tax info) to verify that.

I'll go check out the Copperfield area now...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Zip codes are 77084 and 77095

good luck...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I understand the thing about the drivers. Ours are very agressive and stupid at the same time. (You may have heard the term "Massholes"). They'll look right at you as they cut you off and assume you'll get out of their way.
Maybe that's where they learned it I hate that about drivers down here. Of course they end up hating me worse
Old 12-03-2004, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We live in Cinco Ranch and most houses in my area are around $125-$150 but they are great. We are close to everything except the race track. It is 60 miles to either and is usually about an hour to get to. Does not matter to me as I drive to them no matter what. We are from NC and love it here. So much to do so little time to do it.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Teching In

I also live in the Nw part of houston in cypress. Crime is very low, I would never worry about my car getting touched. It is also within 10 min of most of the major highways. Good luck finding a house. Houston is getting so damb developed I come home from college and there a new neighborhood going up some where. If you want to find a nice safe area your goin to have to look in the suburb area. Many parts of houston are getting so bad developing and crime wise. IMO I would rather make a longer comute to work then live in some of the city limit areas.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brains
As an ex yankee, I can help a bit
7. The performance car scene here is HUGE. You can't drive down the road without seeing at least a dozen camaros, corvettes, mustangs, etc. Lots of rice, but that infestation reaches every corner. Oh, if you happen across an f-body chances are VERY high it'll have at least a catback, usually more.

8. Every redneck pickup truck has loud *** duals out the back. Its a way of life.
yeah, it seems like every car here is a full bolt on car now, and it is typical to see cammed ls1's now or s/c mustangs...

now we can join the redneck club brian, since gray hacked the cat. off the bronco LOLOL... but it does sound bad ***

that is one of the funniest things i have ever read
Old 12-03-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Oh no, Gray lives down there? I forgot that.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brains
Hey, they don't all go out the back
Attached Thumbnails Possibly relocating to TX - Houston area.  Questions...-100_0320r.jpg  
Old 12-03-2004, 04:08 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

On the south side of Houaton look n Friendswood and Clearlake, Pearland. I am only 30 minutes from the track and 10 minutes from Beltway8 or I 45 good location and lots of nice houses.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, I pimp it in the 77581 hood. anyway, I used to live in League City and it is getting a bit overcrowded now for my taste but most places down south are nice.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:43 AM
Teching In

If you and your girl are planning on settling down a nice place to plant your roots is in Cypress,specifically a neighborhood called Fairfield. It is off 290 and developed in 1988. The neighborhood has really taken off. There are 2 elementary schools in the neighborhood.It is also fairly peaceful out there.In some of the subdivisions of the neighborhood there are lakes.Through the whole neighborhood there is a green belt for biking or running.There is a fitness center,gas station you name it is pretty much all in the neighborhood. 290/Mason rd is the main way into the neighborhood,there is one back exit onto a country road where some 5acre lots and custom homes sit. A super walmart,home depot,krogers,etc are all 5 minutes away.It is just a wonderful place to live.My family moved there when I was 8 and now I am 21 with my own son,so I look at the big picture.Hope the info helps.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

pearland tx is the place to be and ur only about 30 min to the beach also me driveing