S. Houston/Friendswood: NBM Z28 in ditch, I told you so!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004 | 11:32 PM
10-Second Club

Default S. Houston/Friendswood: NBM Z28 in ditch, I told you so!

Well, I was on my way home from my family xmas gathering we have each year at my moms & was almost home on Beamer Rd. in Friendswood when I saw f-body headlights beaming out of a ditch facing the road. I drive by & see the NBM Z with chrome ZR1's on it & decide to stop to see if everyone was ok & if I could lend em my phone to call a wrecker. Well, when I walk up, they are 3-4 high school age guys & I heard a girl in the car talking & they had a truck on the road they were tying a rope to the front core support but only around the thin sheet metal that holds the upper part of the nose, not the rigid frame. I tried to tell them that it wouldn’t hold & for them to just spend the money on a wrecker. The ditch has water in it as well so the car looks like it has created a suction with the mud. I used to off road so I can tell it was stuck fairly good & being such a low car doesn’t help much. Well, I explain to the young fellow, I know where to lift from, I just lifted my TA off the motor & k-member a month or so ago but he was compelled to counter with how he thinks it will hold….well, sometimes when you are young, you need to just STFU & listen to people, you might learn a thing or two. So, I couldn’t watch this kid yank the front end off of what looked like a clean Z-28….so I left them to their own devices. I would have stayed out in the cold & helped them get the car out if only they had enough sense to listen. Another guy in his 30’s had stopped as well & agreed with me but I guess us 2 old farts couldn’t have possibly had any dealing with such matters….they think they can’t afford a wrecker…..I bet they have towing in their insurance but don’t even know it…and boy if they think paying a wrecker is expensive, wait till they get the body shop bill. I hope one of them catches some snap & they don’t try to pull it out with a puny rope & a pick up. The nose appeared to be resting on the ledge of the ditch & the front wheels didn’t even look like they were touching the ground…..

…that’s all of my rant for now.

Oh, & Merry Christmas…..
Old 12-24-2004 | 11:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Well, at least you tried to help them. I always carry a tow strap in my dually, I don't mind giving people a tug. Pulled a couple cars out of flood water already.
Old 12-24-2004 | 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah at least you tried helping them Marc hopefully they snapped like u said and didnt mess the Z up or yank off the front end. That would be a horrible christmas to have with your car in a ditch and the front end yanked off then have to be forced into spending the money for a wrecker.
Old 12-24-2004 | 11:42 PM
10-Second Club

I almost always try to stop if I see f-body guys stranded. Just in case it's someone I know. I'd hate it if I were standing on side of the road & one of my buddies just rolled by looking my way. I was in my G/F's Ford Escape so there was no towing going on with that. My Mazda isn't up for it either.
Old 12-24-2004 | 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

We just got back from Deer Park, made the drive to Katy. LOTS and LOTS of wrecks..
Old 12-24-2004 | 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah with these conditions outside i hope everyone is careful and drives with a lil snap.
Old 12-24-2004 | 11:50 PM
10-Second Club

I counted over 12 seperate wreck scenes from Humble to Friendswood with the worst being on 45 S. on the N. bound lane. There was a truck that was in front that was messed up pretty bad & there was nother truck on top of a cars hood, perpendicular to the road....it must have sucked getting down from the truck...it was up pretty high on top of the car. Another incident had the entire ramp from 59 ramping to 45 S. by the ball park at a dead stop. Luckily I know the area & just took Tuam down to Dowling & got back onto 45 in front of Drexler's BBQ. There had to be over 30 cars in all the different wrecks I saw.
Old 12-24-2004 | 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Modsquad
I counted over 12 seperate wreck scenes from Humble to Friendswood with the worst being on 45 S. on the N. bound lane. There was a truck that was in front that was messed up pretty bad & there was nother truck on top of a cars hood, perpendicular to the road....it must have sucked getting down from the truck...it was up pretty high on top of the car. Another incident had the entire ramp from 59 ramping to 45 S. by the ball park at a dead stop. Luckily I know the area & just took Tuam down to Dowling & got back onto 45 in front of Drexler's BBQ. There had to be over 30 cars in all the different wrecks I saw.
DAmn man that sucks i hope everyone was ok that was involved.
Old 12-25-2004 | 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn Marc, we saw all the same wrecks -- must have been going through there nearly the same time you were We jumped on 59S and cut up 610 past the Galleria. By the time we got to 59/Kirby area, the roads were dry. Then we hit a couple REALLY icy overpasses in Katy, I10 @ Greenhouse then again I10 @ Mason. No wrecks there amazingly enough, but it was slick enough to pick the GTO up and drift it a tiny bit sideways.
Old 12-25-2004 | 12:14 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

weird. I drove from Humble to Spring today and back. and the drove from Humble to Friendswood and back. All in the "snow" and didn't see a single wreck all day. Just travelling on the beltway mostly.
Old 12-25-2004 | 12:15 AM
10-Second Club

Well, glad you guys & the goat made it home safely! I am dreading driving up to 249 & Louetta tomorrow for Xmas dinner at my sisters....at least my TA isn't my only mode of transportation. Maybe I'll luck out & my truck will get totalled with no injury or damage to anyone else or thing....upside down on it & want something else, lol.
Old 12-25-2004 | 01:28 AM

I heard the Beltway was prety bad, I drove to Sugar Land, melting when it hit the ground, just slowed down some over bridges.
Old 12-25-2004 | 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

One time this kid took a corner too hard turning onto Tanner off Brittmore and went into the ditch. He would of gone all the way in, but some rooted grass saved his ***. The only thing holding him up was that damn grass, and it was at such an extreme angle that I could actually pick the car up. Either way we were in a Bronco so it wasn't much of a problem pulling him out...other than the guy hooking the strap to his tierod.
Old 12-25-2004 | 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

lol. damn.
Old 12-25-2004 | 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

its pretty sad when ppl dont want to listen to others. esp with a nice car that you have described! i used to go mudding also and got stuck in a ditch once but i had someone else to pulled me out by my axles but still. if his bumper gets or got ripped off i bet he will listen to the next person that offers him advice next time. some kids dont listen and pay big time for there mistakes!
Old 12-25-2004 | 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

There was a 10 car pile up on 288............

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/122..._deadlyax.html
Old 12-25-2004 | 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 00 Z-28
There was a 10 car pile up on 288............

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/122..._deadlyax.html
Sad
Old 12-25-2004 | 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Very sad, since it was Xmas eve.....

Originally Posted by GREGGO
Sad
Old 12-26-2004 | 12:00 AM
TECH Pimp

Did this Z28 have a cowl hood and oldschool Z/28 emblums?
Old 12-26-2004 | 01:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _Zac
Did this Z28 have a cowl hood and oldschool Z/28 emblums?
Man I hope not. His car is super clean. I believe his license plate was 1LAST1