Excessive Noise Citation

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Noise Citation

I was going home from a club in downtown Houston last Friday night. Leaving the club we decided to go eat at Franks Pizza near Cabos. Just a block before I made the turn toward Cabos I was pulled over by HPD. I must admit my car is louder than other cars that have upgrades, but I have never had a police officer bothered by my sound until that night. The officer that pulled me over had an accent, sounded German or something. Maybe he wasn't into American muscle cars. Anyways he tells me that my car sounded like it had some illegal mods in it and if he could he hear it within 25 feet range that it was a noise violation. Usually I'm worried about getting tickets for running a red light (I don't do) or speeding (I' dont do) in downtown, but noise? I always hear Harleys rumbling through downtown that sound 10 times louder then my car. Those bikes don't stand a chance of getting pulled over for that. I just don't get some of these laws. So does anyone know what I can tell the judge about that on my court appearance?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You should have slipped him the Military ID and be like I went to Iraq, havent had time to fix the car. He would have let you go and stuff, your car is loud as hell though. I was eating ice cream at marble slab by west oaks, and hear some loud *** car, turn around in off in the distance on 1093 I see you drive by. Frank's pizza is the **** though, no doubt about it.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:05 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all it sounds like it is a judgement call on the officer? I am not sure that this law is pertaining to the noise generated from the motor vehicle, but maybe a Stereo system? He may be misinterpriting the law. Like you said you have alot of evidence in your favor IE: Harleys, Big rigs etc... I would plead not guilty and discuss it with the DA or the judge. It will probably get thrown out. Try making a few phone calls before you go down there. Hope I gave you a few ideas.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

yeah.....well at least you didnt get pulled over sitting at idle in your school parking lot by a pasadena cop who just happened to be there
Old 12-28-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

When i got mine in my camaro it got dismissed and the lt. at the precinct said the officer was stupid and should have never pulled me over. I had hooker lt's,off road y slp loudmouth and a x1 cam-it was loud. IF the officer doesnt show up it will be dismissed anyways most likely but they have tried to pull that crap on me too and i do agree with your harley etc theory u never see them pulled over.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSideExhLS1
yeah.....well at least you didnt get pulled over sitting at idle in your school parking lot by a pasadena cop who just happened to be there
Are you serious????? Do cops have nothing better to do nowdays then jack with us modded vehicles?? Whats up with that-go pull over a loud *** motorcycle or big rig that blows black nasty choking smoke everywhere. i dont get them nowdays.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

yup...im going to school for a damn good cause and this fool gives me a ticket!!! if i would of been driving out of a bar drunker than **** and with a pound of weed in the trunk maybe the ****** would have never pulled me over!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSideExhLS1
yup...im going to school for a damn good cause and this fool gives me a ticket!!! if i would of been driving out of a bar drunker than **** and with a pound of weed in the trunk maybe the ****** would have never pulled me over!!!
hahaha, sounds like you fellas down in houston have some **** *** cops. luckily in dallas they don't seem to be too terrible, even with loud *** cars. I just need a LS1Tech sticker so Kev won't ticket my *** LOL.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say try try explaining it just as these guys are saying. I'm sure you know, your car is loud as fock, and it may only be a matter of time before getting another one. He said your car "sounded like it had some illegal mods in it"? Jeez, what's up with that. What maybe cats, everything else can be made legal. As far as 25ft sound rule, I can hear stock vehicles at 25ft, I would seriously look into whether that applies to stereos, cause that's what it sounds like. Especially If he said it shouldn't be "heard" from that far (as opposed to being "obnoxious", or "bothersome" at that distance, which is a possibility for what the rule was meant as). Maybe you can make the argument that the officer was being too picky if he was using a 25ft rule (don't mention that he could've heard you from 100 )

Sorry to hear about the ticket, always sucks to get caught for not doing anything wrong/harmful.

Neil - you always talk about food?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine at my apartment complex and my car wasn't even on. DAMN NEIGHBORS
Old 12-29-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Does he also pull over every Harley owner he sees? Those bikes are louder than anything on the road.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I'm not mistaken an excessive noise citation has to be confirmed by a decible meter. I was pulled over for illegal exhaust because my dumps did not exit the rear of the vehicle. The cop was actually really cool and only gave me a warning. While talking to him mentioned that I was probably not in complience with the "noise violation." I asked him how they determine what is a noise violation, and his response was that it is actually measured in decibles, but since he does not have a meter with him he can't site me for the offense. I also brought up the Harley debate, and he said that I was right that the majority of them are in violation. He said most cops just don't bother with it, because they are usually bike lovers too. He was a car lover, and has an SS and really just wanted an excuse to pull me over and talk about my car mods and times. He informed me of the law and told me that there are cops out there that would ticket me and told me what to do so that I wouldn't get in trouble. He was actually a really cool cop. Moral of the story, plead not guility, unless he had a meter in the car he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey, was that you that I ran into on 59S a couple of weekends ago ? I was in the green C4 vette.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy42083
Neil - you always talk about food?

Cause I'm fat, always eating out, trying to stop though
Old 12-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
If I'm not mistaken an excessive noise citation has to be confirmed by a decible meter.
Remember the beauty of America is that you are innocent until proven guilty. It worked for OJ who is unfortunately NOT the reason the law is there.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Launching!

25 feet?! Hell, you can hear just about any car 25 feet away!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

a cop once told me that it all pretty much depends on the officer or other person. if it disturbs the officer's, or another person's peace then that is when action is taken place. i guess you just got stuck with an ******* cop.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know of several people that have gotten excessive noise citations, and they were not confirmed by a decibal meter. Sorry to hear about your ticket,

and about the streetbikes, there is not law for excessive noise on a bike.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Too bad you didn't have a box of donuts in the car, you could've bribed him.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another note on the noise level of bikes - it's also a safety thing for them. Alot of people don't look for them, but the extra noise helps people be more aware of the bikes.