Exemptions for Emissions? (already searched)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005 | 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Default Exemptions for Emissions? (already searched)

Are there any loopholes or ways around getting emissions testing? I live in Spring (Harris Co), but may move to Montgomery county soon.

I'm thinking mileage?... what if you don't drive a car but a couple thousand miles a year? How about race-car or show-car exemptions?
Old 01-11-2005 | 09:18 PM

INDIVIDUAL VEHICLE WAIVER

If a motorist's vehicle has failed an emissions test, the motorist may petition the Director of the DPS for an Individual Vehicle Waiver. The motorist must demonstrate that:

1. the motorist has taken every reasonable measure to comply with the requirements of the vehicle emissions I/M program contained in the Revised Texas I/M SIP; and
2. such waiver shall have minimal impact on air quality.

Reasonable measures are considered to be:
1. Vehicles diagnosed and repaired at any Recognized Repair Facility, qualify to claim the cost of diagnosis, parts and labor.
2. Vehicles not diagnosed and repaired at Recognized Repair Facility, qualify to claim the cost of parts only.
3. Vehicles will be visually inspected by a Texas Department of Public Safety representative to insure that emission repairs being claimed have been performed.
4. For more information contact your local Texas Department of Public Safety Vehicle Inspection office.

Motorist may apply for the Individual Vehicle Waiver each testing cycle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOW-INCOME TIME EXTENSION

If your vehicle failed the emissions test and your annual income is below the national poverty level, you may be granted a one-year extension.

Motorists may apply for the Low-Income Time Extension every other testing cycle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Low Mileage Waiver
There is a low mileage exemption for motorists who drive less than 5000 miles/year. To qualify for this exemption you must:

1. Fail both the initial test and free retest
2. Incur $100 of emissions related repairs
3. Drive less than 5,000 miles/year

If you meet these qualifications then you would qualify for the low mileage waiver. You can go to the DPS challenge station in your area for more information on the forms to complete.

Waiver Station

DPS Field Office N Houston Rosslyn
11222 N. Houston Rosslyn
Houston , TX 77088
(281) 272-1150
Old 01-11-2005 | 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Boo yeah! Thank you! Just what I needed.
Old 01-11-2005 | 09:53 PM
Launching!

Montgomery county started doing emisions to
Old 01-11-2005 | 10:58 PM
10-Second Club

Yeah!! I have 9k miles in over 2 years, I can get the low mileage waiver!! Wooo hooo!

Quick Reply: Exemptions for Emissions? (already searched)