Proof old people shouldn't drive! My poor car paid the price!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Proof old people shouldn't drive! My poor car paid the price!

Well I got hit today while sitting at a stop light in traffic. Not sure what happened that made him hit me but after he did he floored the gas cut over two lanes onto an embancment and held the gas floored while making close calls with several big poles jumping back onto the street then slammed into a truck that was turning onto the access road of a freeway before he flipped his 2004 Ford Focus over and came to rest upside down. I couldn't believe that just happened and at first I thought it was someone running from the Cops and driving like they were Hell bent on getting away after they hit me. So when the light finally turned green i got over a lane and turned to the access road to see that he did flip the car. I got out totally pissed ready to beat the hell out of who ever was driving but when I got to the car some 80 year old man crawled out of it and I suddenly understood what happened, he got confused and mashed the gas not the break and did all of that craziness. Anyway I did feal sorry for him but I also think they should make up some kind of tests for old people to deturmine if they are still able to safely handle a vehicle on the streets.

What's your opinion on this.
Attached Thumbnails Proof old people shouldn't drive!  My poor car paid the price!-drivers-side.jpg   Proof old people shouldn't drive!  My poor car paid the price!-pasnger-rear.jpg   Proof old people shouldn't drive!  My poor car paid the price!-rear-center.jpg   Proof old people shouldn't drive!  My poor car paid the price!-rear.jpg  
Old 01-19-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn that really sux man..... I agree. THere should be some kind of restriction/test for the older folks that could restrict them from driving......
Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what will you do when your 80 and your hit some Kids 2068 T/A?
thats Faqued up anyways. At least your alive dude... cool beans
Old 01-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Ginger Hater

yea.....i would so love a bill to be passed like that.....but most people think that it is infringing <sp> upon the person freedoms. AAA actually does a test for elderly people that tests there reaction time, vision..etc. and its at the persons descretion if they should or should not operate a motor vehicle.

BTW elderly people are the most at risk drivers right under teenagers.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

and by the way it dosent look that bad, i mean it dosent look like your corner pannels on either side got hit. I could be wrong, but looks like all you will need is a new bumper and CORSA tips!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by regorih355
cool beans
"cool beans" WTF??? regorih = & &
Old 01-19-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07

bite me Berdo
Old 01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey if you have the pics of the headers on you computer send them to my e-mail, please
Old 01-19-2005, 10:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, if you check the insurance records of all drivers, you will find that 16-18 year olds are involved in far more accidents than elderly people. I'm sure its not even close, it was something like 10 to 1 when I learned that.

So, they would sooner ban young drivers than old ones.

Sorry to see your car get hit. That really sucks, especially since you weren't even moving.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Launching!

hey if you have the pics of the headers on you computer send them to my e-mail, please
Headers? My car? If so then yes I do have some..
Old 01-19-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool beans , so was i right about you only needing the bumper and ex. tips
Old 01-19-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
what do you think berto REd or Yellow?

Old 01-19-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

sorry to hear about that. remember the good thing is that you are ok and the 80 yr old was able to crawl out. good luck patching her up! at least the TA is nowhere near totaled!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:50 PM

First, did you ask him if he paniced and hit the gas, or could it have been some kind of mechanical failure? I feel your pain though. I have been working in Florida for the last few months. Talk about old drivers.......On the young side of things, for a long time, I thought the driving age should be raised from 16 to 18 or higher. The older I got, the higher I thought it should be. But then I realized, beginers are beginers at any age. I'm sure the old guy feels worse about what happen than you. Could have been worse for both of you.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what will you do when your 80 and your hit some Kids 2068 T/A?
thats Faqued up anyways. At least your alive dude... cool beans
Yeah cause there will be TA's in 2068.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

man i kinda feel for the old man, and you at the same time ofcourse... still way to hold back ur temper once u had an idea it was an accident and he wasn't just some nutfuck ya know.. sad, atleast it wasn't ur fault and u will get it fixed i imagine by insurance.

i know up here if an elderly person gets in an accident like that most likely they lose there liscense and have to retake the test... sad thing is its after the damage is done to both party's
Old 01-20-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

is this what the old man looked like?

Old 01-20-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

they shouldnt be on the road

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=nasty+wreck
Old 01-20-2005, 01:07 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I agree with Nine ball I don't think the age is as much of a factor as experience and I am sure they have slower reaction times, but I don't think they should be banned. How many of you are going to go pick up your grand parents and take them to the doctor and then to the grocery store and then to visit freinds etc... They have lives too. I am sorry you got hit, but I have seen many of us on here get into accidents and you never see anyone say they were at fault. I think all the imigrants that don't have drivers licenses and no insurance or even experience in our country are far more dangerous. They also outnumber the elderly people. JMO. Sorry you got hit.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I saw a statistic that said old people cause more fatal crashes per 1000 drivers than any other age group. Looking at age percentage, they're the most deadly drivers -- yet its a RIGHT for geezers to be able to drive, yet its a PRIVILEGE for everyone else?

I say *EVERYONE* must pass a rigorous driver test (written, verbal, AND road course) every 10 years. I also think insurance companies should step up and give BIG credits for a driver instruction course -- and I don't mean that defensive driving joke. I'm talking a 50% credit for people who successfully pass a behind-the-wheel week long aggressive instruction course (voluntary, paid out of pocket). I'd like to see people educated on how to control their vehicle in emergency situations, proper methods to do simple things like merge on freeways and negotiate 4-way stops (BADLY needed in Texas, people here are stupid), etc.