Anyone show their car in autorama??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone show their car in autorama??

I entered my car into autorama. I received my letter yesterday with the rules and I have a few questions.

In the letter it says that I need a floor covering under the car to collect any oil or other fluids. What should I use?

If I disconect my battery for the entire show will the computer reset itself and have to go through throttle relearn and all that other crap?

Do they really empty the gas tank? I was told to show up with less than a 1/4 tank.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I entered my car into autorama. I received my letter yesterday with the rules and I have a few questions.

In the letter it says that I need a floor covering under the car to collect any oil or other fluids. What should I use?

If I disconect my battery for the entire show will the computer reset itself and have to go through throttle relearn and all that other crap?

Do they really empty the gas tank? I was told to show up with less than a 1/4 tank.

Thanks for the help
Don't worry too much on the tank. I've never had them check it. We got an absorbing mat from the autoparts store. Or, we just went to Arne's off of I-10 and picked up plastic tablecloth on a roll. One or two rolls is enought to do your whole 10x20 space. When you are finished (after the show), pull it up and throw it away.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When is the show?
Old 01-27-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks J-Rod

The show is Feb 11th-13th
Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried getting away leaving the battery connected. Didnt work with the fire inspector.
Computer will need to relearn. You will have plenty of time to let it idle waiting in line to get out on Sunday.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

They were VERY strict on the gas tank rule in Houston last year. They would only let you in the building if it had less than a 1/4 tank. There were dozens of cars doing laps around the stadium that day, trying to burn off gas.

You can also use a standard slim drip-tray under your car if you don't want to purchase carpet.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:25 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trtturbo
I tried getting away leaving the battery connected. Didnt work with the fire inspector.
Computer will need to relearn. You will have plenty of time to let it idle waiting in line to get out on Sunday.
What about these 'computer memory saver' things I've heard of? Do they work? http://jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stor...&storeId=10101
Old 01-27-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
They were VERY strict on the gas tank rule in Houston last year. They would only let you in the building if it had less than a 1/4 tank. There were dozens of cars doing laps around the stadium that day, trying to burn off gas.

You can also use a standard slim drip-tray under your car if you don't want to purchase carpet.

Is that just that aluminum tray that they sell at the autoparts store? Hey I hear they look under the car too. Do you know anything about that?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trtturbo

Cool thats what I thougth. I wasn't worried about anything but I just wanted to make sure
Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Is that just that aluminum tray that they sell at the autoparts store? Hey I hear they look under the car too. Do you know anything about that?
Yes, that is the tray.

They look under the car to see if you have cleaned it. Many cars lose their class due to a dirty undercarriage. They subtract points from dirty cars.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Didnt you get your car keyed at an Autorama show Tony????
Old 01-28-2005, 03:12 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my uncle's friend entered his 74?ish road runner at autorama in houston a few months ago. it was orange and took best of show in his class. his name is mike mcqueery, really nice guy and really clean car.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

We have two big sections of grey carpet that Nine Ball and ZAngel used at the Autorama, if someone wants to buy it .. Its just sitting in my attic Only parked on once.. Nobody's car was keyed, just some fingerprints from people leaning over the chains and wanting to touch everything
Old 01-28-2005, 07:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

and a misc jackass that decided to go inside the ropes and try and sit in my car.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats not what I wanted to hear Tony... my car is dirty down there.

Anyone want to clean the underside of my car?? I'll give you a 6 pack of beer
Old 01-28-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
and a misc jackass that decided to go inside the ropes and try and sit in my car.
No way! That sucks man. I was thinking about doing a big show one of these days, just done the little local ones so far. Im not so sure now. Do yall think its worth all the work?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:39 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had that. One thing to do is to lock the doors, and roll up the windows, and leave the door to the inside open. They judged on the first night, so I left both doors open. After that, I left only the inside door open. Also, my truck had shaved handles, so it made it harder to get in. The first year, I had issues, as I had poor stanchions, and the ropes I had hung too low. If its low enough for somoen to swing a leg over they think it means come inside. I alos found some guy in my truck with his buddies taking pictures. I learned a lot of lessons my first year, and after that had no issues. The big thing is to make it hard to get into your display, and to put the car as far to the inside as possible. I showed with 4-6 other folks usually, and we did our display together. That also allowed us to watch each others cars. Also, one person per day would come in and dust off the the cars in the morning and in the evening. Make your stanchions heavy. Like 20-50 lbs on the bootom, and use something sturdy so that if a hid hangs on it, it won't tip over. I know you can't believe it, but people let their kids run amuck. Also, clean the whole car (under the seats, and the WHOLE) undercarriage. Take a flashlight, and look under your car. If you can see it, so can they. Make sure it is clean. Cleanliness is worth more than all the "bling bling" you can put on a car.

If you have any specifc question post up. I showed for 6 years in ISCA, and I used to judge several local shows, so I can try to give you some tips. I'll see if I can find a pic of my truck and post it. If you ever went to Autorama you'll know it when you see a pic of it.

Also, if you need to drain gas, you can bleed from the fuel rail (with a hose). Just let the car idle with the valve open. On our car it took about 10 minutes to empty a full tank. There is enough pressure for it to idle, but not enough for it to rev.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was planning on closing up the car at night and just leaving the inside door open just like you said but I don't see how I will be able to if the battery is disconnected. I'll have to figure out that one.

I didn't realize that they looked at the car that close. Shoot I guess I'll have to clean it like I always do. Plus I'm having it detailed so I figure between us cleaning the car everything should be good. I'm not expecting to win anything but I just want the car to look clean.